Agnostic.com

7 0

Difference between Christianity and Islam?

Other than Jesus and Mohammad, what is the difference between Christianity and Islam? I know Jesus was resurrected and ascended into heaven, Mohammad flew to heaven on a winged horse. Christians used to kill apostates but grew out of it. Now only radical Muslims kill apostates.

Grecio 7 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only difference is 400 years, other than that not much.
They are both about (or have been about) control and wealth, they are both politically influential, they both hate other religions and gay people, they both think terrifying people in to conversion is a legitimate way to expand their base membership and both believe that women are to blame for everything.

Many people (like Angelina Jolie) declare that Islam is a religion of peace. There are numerous converts from Islam to Christianity and vice versa. Most news headlines do not indicate that Islam is a religion of peace. The USA is 75% Christian and is always bombing some country.
This is an agnostic website, but I think we need to understand the major religions and try to move the world in a direction for the betterment of mankind.
In a way, just being a part of this site does that, at least it promotes non-religion.
That being said, I guess Islam and Christianity have the same god, just different books.

@altschmerz Well said.

Christianity is different--- by 'being the same as all the other cults that are different'.

Region, time, culture, and partucular religious zelot. There is not much more that needs to be articulated.

Geography, climate, local culture and different charismatic leaders from these different cultures that were able to offer what their local people wanted the most.

Wardrobe?

hahahahahahaha, funny..

@Grecio Thanks.

Islam, Christianity, and Judaism are all religions "of the book", yet the all all very different. How could that be?

Magic LOL!

...and how come there are dozens of versions of each one these groups: Christianity, Judaism...?

@Diogenes Perhaps because there is no evidence of any religion being true. Another reason is that ancient books are so conflagrated with contradictions and absurdities, they don't make much sense anyway.
I go to church with my wife. She is a Christian. I just sit there and listen to cultish, contradictory mishmash. I sit there and wonder how those people could really believe what is being preached. Today's lesson was that God has a plan for all the suffering in this world and that everyone will have to stand before Christ and be judged when he comes back. He also talked about the myth of Adam and Eve.
I guess an infant's brain (or mind) is a blank slate.I guess if children aren't trained to "play nice" they would grow up to be barbarians. However, born into sin (whatever that is) sounds like a crock to me.

@Grecio "Comes back"- that sounds like he was already here once! Ya, sure. "Walked on water"- where did they get the ice from in Palestine?

@Diogenes Around the time that Jesus supposedly live, people did not know as much about the world as is known now. I can see how they could have believed in ghosts and goblins, etc. However, now 2,000 years later churches are preaching the same things. Members sit there, listen, and amen. I guess many actually believe the stories about Adam, Eve, Noah, and Johna.
I have never seen any evidence that prayer helps anybody get well. Christians pray for people to get well but they never pray that God will replace a soldier's leg that got blown off. I guess they feel that God only treats the sick. He doesn't fool with missing limbs for some reason.

@Grecio They opened one of those "healing-con-jobs" across the road from me. I thought of going over to see if I could get my dandruff cured, but I don't think they cure anything that difficult- only cancer, where the patient is in the advanced stage, and going to die within days. ... and was that the patient/actor at the pub last night- downing pails of beer?------- and I wasn't making a joke about someone sick with cancer.

@Diogenes I have a brother-in-law that is a retired secondary Science teacher. He believes that he had MS (Muscular Dystrophy). He went to a church that laid hands on him and cured him. He was a high school biology teacher but did not believe in evolution.
My mind just cannot get a hold on this situation.

@Grecio Your brother-in-law is an ass-hole- and unquestionably a moron. On top of that, as a teacher, he should have been fired.

@Diogenes One thing that is amazing. All of his science classes would score 95% passing rate on end-of-course tests. I guess he just taught the standards and kept his mouth shut otherwise.

@Grecio I am assuming "all got 95%" means his students. I get the feeling he was throwing out these scores to inflate 'his' teaching abilities.

@Diogenes He does tend to inflate, but I do actually believe he was a good teacher. I taught Biology two doors down the hall while he was teaching PS.
You know, Around 50% of living major scientists are religious, mostly Christian and Jewish.
Consider below.

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN.com
[cnn.com]
Apr 6, 2007 ... I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those ... the 3.1 billion letters of the human genome, our own DNA instruction book.

Francis Collins (the head of the MIT Human Genome Project) wrote a book about why he is a Christian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.