Agnostic.com

20 0

Thoughts on the Bernie/Warren kerfuffle?

What are your thoughts about the claim made by Elizabeth Warren's camp that Bernie told her in private that a woman could not become president. Bernie denied it. Warren felt he essentially called her a liar in his denial during the debate, as per her question caught on hot mic afterward where she refused to shake his hand.

Did she misremember and/or misconstrue whatever Bernie said? Did she lie? Did Bernie lie? Was the timing an attempt at kneecapping Bernie though she was friendly with him up until that point having allegedly happened a while back? Did the media frame it in a manner meant to do damage to Sanders (particularly in light of CNN's framing of the follow-up question to Warren)? Has the episode backfired on Warren? Do you expect other similar attempts at ratfvcking Bernie to come? Do you think this was done (the staffer leak to CNN about the allegation) without Warren's knowledge or with her approval? Did someone urge Warren to do this? Finally, do you think the story is being covered fairly in the MSM, and will it ultimately have a substantial effect for either candidate?

WilliamCharles 8 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Warren's endgame.

:-----:

Kurtz:
Did they say why, Willard, why they want to terminate my command?

Willard:
I was sent on a classified mission, sir.

Kurtz:
It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?

Willard:
They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.

Kurtz:
Are my methods unsound?

Willard:
I don't see any method at all, sir.

Kurtz:
I expected someone like you. What did you expect? Are you an assassin?

Willard:
I'm a soldier.

Kurtz:
You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

What Bernie may have said may well have been true. Trump is president because women didn't vote for Hillary, and surely many men too. It is unfortunate that sexual bias is an issue to be reckoned with, even more crucially when trying to unseat Trump. No shame should accrue to Sanders for stating a perceived truth.

Shame on Warren for bringing it up in that manner, as that debate was not an appropriate forum to discuss a nuanced topic that could not be resolved with sound bites. Basically, it was a cheap shot. Warren's behavior thereafter strongly suggests a fondness for interpersonal drama that is inappropriate for a president.

I love most of Warren's ideas, but her behavior on this and her health care proposals has cast a dark shadow over her suitability. Bernie's health care proposals are equally absurd, and shame on him for that.

Another aspect I find puzzling (hypocritical, actually) about the question of gender bias/misogyny, is that the same people I've encountered berating anyone that did not support Clinton as sexist above all else regularly crap on Tulsi Gabbard, Jill Stein, Marianne Williamson, etc. They reserve the right for themselves to argue that these other women are not any of them the "right" woman and therefore support of them cannot be a defense against misogyny as they had no chance of winning.

As I recall, Bernie supporters such as myself, pointed out the conerns of Clinton's electability vs Bernie's on her merits, particularly in light of anti-establishment populism that was also fueling much of Trump's following. Remember we were talking about the Democratic base. Clinton in her primary against Obama worried about if nominating a black man was a bridge too far. But this should not be the focus of any calculation in this regard. It will never be "the time" to break through barriers if the niggling worry is that it is "too soon."

In the specious smears against Jeremy Corbyn were the supposed anti-Semitism of his Labour party, why isn't there a kneejerk reaction that those opposing Bernie are anti-Semitic (though for some that might be the reason)? Because you at least have to start out with the proposition that we need to judge political candidates above all else on their actual merits. Joe Biden is being pushed as the safe, "nice guy" choice, but to counter that with creepy, boundary crossing, hair sniffing observations, or his part in failed centrist policies, you're pilloried as somehow pro-Trump. You can also not support Pete Buttigieg as president without being adverse to a gay candidate. You'd think this was self-evident, but some don't allow for that same sensibility for a female candidate. If one can reject Sarah Palin to be a heartbeat from the presidency, one can also have reasons to reject Clinton, or Warren, or Harris, or Klobuchar, or Gabbard, that have nothing to do with their gender.

Jimmy Dore has done some good segments on the sexism question, which I'll link later.

It's blown way out of proportion by the media in order to benefit the trump crime syndicate. If you read what was actually said, and not the hype, it's no big deal. But Bernie's dedicated kamikazes cannot tolerate anything that makes their guy seem like a mortal earthling.

The "big deal" in my mind was the brazen attempt at kneecapping Bernie. It's right out of the Clinton playbook, which only reinforces my impression that Warren is Hillary 2.0 with a Bernie mask (I saw one wag refer to her as "Hillary 1.5" )

The kamikaze here is Warren. She attempted to take down Sanders and now she is crashing and burning. She was down, she was desperate, so she did something risky. It wasn't successful because how blatantly contrived it was.

It because a big deal when she refused to shake his hand and accused him of caller her a liar on stage. That is something that cannot be overlooked. The media aren't covering it to help Trump, they are covering it in the hopes that it will hurt Bernie. CNN is putting out stories claiming that his attempt to shake her hand after the debate was some kind of sexist male aggression. Shaking hands after a debate is cordial and common. To not shake hands is rude and signifies that there is conflict between candidates. He the decent thing and attempted to shake her hand even after the smear she had made against him and she refused it in order to create more fake drama in the hope that it will damage his numbers. The whole thing is very slimy and desperate on Warren's part.

@RoboGraham - I only learned it later but loved Bernie's rejoinder to Warren saying, "You're lying about me." That pretty much settles the "controversy" as far as I'm concerned.

I 100% believe its posdible Bernie said starry eyed things 30 years ago, that have evolved into a more cynically realistic assessment. Like acknowledging the role of sexism in politics. Do i know this? No but i believe its possible.

I am not interested in a stupidity contest posing as a ploy to get media attention, and thats all this is. Theyre arguning over schroedingers cat- the cat might be alive or might be dead, but either way it exists and some people like cats, some people dont. The cat itself is irrelevant.

The way she was ‘prepared’ to denounce the men and promote the women on stage with her comment of ‘the women there never having lost an election’ seemed telling... Why plan a defence (attack) for no reason?

She’d lost some credibility to me prior to this. Regarding Bernie ...yuck. Wish he’d go away, too. Damn poor selection 😟

Varn Level 8 Jan 17, 2020

bernie's time has passed the heart attack proved it and he looks more like an old absent minded professor than a president
warren I was wanting to run before trump was elected and she works hard for us always
what im thinking is won't it be fun to watch trump if a gay man got elected and pushed his fat ass out id pay all I have to see that fit and mayor pete is wicked smart and thoughtful and he was a soldier might be lots better at foreign stuff making us important again
amy I like but some of her votes I didn't
joe would do good overseas and that is something we need and he is known and he would clean the swamp

thing is everyone has a challenge to overcome no one is perfect and no matter what they promise they influence not dictate most of what they want won't happen but anyone will do better than what we have

I’m really sick of the Saint Bernie defense. Do I believe he said it? Yes, I do based on his refusal to argue on the hot mic. Men always do that when they lie to women. I notice all the Bernie bros are coming out of the woodwork to smear Warren because most of them are nasty sexists based on the horrible comments made about her and Hillary before her. Bernie sent his peeps out to smear Warren and she said this in self defense.

I was in Iowa four years ago and went to all the packed Bernie events. When I went to the caucus for him, I expected huge crowd but Hillary had way more people (almost all women) show up there to beat him easily. His whining that he was robbed is silly and he should just go away because he ain’t winning this time either!

I agree I love his ideas and he is a good senator thing is we need to take the senate its so important to get Moscow mitch out and restore order and the rule of law

So your evidence for him being guilty of saying it is his refusal to argue on the hot mic? It would be a politically stupid move to have an argument with a political ally on stage on national tv as Warren was trying to do. Men always refuse to argue on a hot mic after they lie to women? Which men are you talking about? Why would you make broad generalization about an entire gender?

We are smearing her? Did not all of this start when she smeared him? If he did say it, why is it coming out just now, coincidentally right before a big debate and Iowa? He allegedly said this like two years ago and she said nothing about it until suddenly her campaign decided to release this ridiculous smear. Why did they wait until this exact moment to bring it up when it happened so long ago?

We are nasty sexists? You are the one who just claimed that ALL men lie to women and then refuse to argue about it.

I wouldn't argue on a hot mic either; his refusal to do so was a smart decision.

@RoboGraham. More Bernie whining. I’m not impressed with him or his supporters. They went negative and nasty immediately! I didn’t hear any smear from Warren but Bernie bros spread it all over media just like they did with Hillary. It wasn’t about her actual policies but ugly talk about her as a woman. You wouldn’t argue on a hot mic but he was just on a hot mic so what’s the deal? He looked like a deer in headlights so if he was so innocent and such a saint, why not say there must have been a misunderstanding. But he didn’!

@Killtheskyfairy There is no need to say that there was a misunderstanding when there was no misunderstanding. Everyone understands perfectly well what happened. Warren is desperate so she had her campaign leak a purposefully misconstrued statement that Bernie made way before their campaigns even began. When the moderator asked him if he said it, he said no and defended himself. What else can he do?

I haven't heard any nasty talk about Warren as a woman. I've only heard people point out that she's not very consistent and not always truthful. Criticizing the flaws of a presidential candidate is not going negative or nasty talk. It's the whole point of the primary. Critically evaluating the candidates is how you discover which is the best and ought to be selected.

"You wouldn’t argue on a hot mic but he was just on a hot mic so what’s the deal?" What's the deal with this question? Of course I'm not on a hot mic. what's that got to do with anything? He was on hot mic and refused to have an argument. That was the mature prudent thing to do. He decided not to play into the drama because drama is what Elizabeth is trying to provoke out of him. This is a hail mary move. She knows she is losing so she had no choice but to do something bold that could shake up the numbers. It was a poor choice and she will have to deal with the consequences.

@RoboGraham A body language expert is on MSNBC now saying Bernie was lying in the hot mic incident and his body proves it. If Bernie was such a saint, his bros would not be filling social media with misogyny and 🐍when he is the 🐍

@Killtheskyfairy A body language expert is on where? One of the corporate news networks I presume.

If you are willing to take seriously a body language "expert" but won't consider his long history of supporting women's rights, his encouragement of woman to run, his literal campaigning for a female candidate that he had just lost to, and explicit intention to nominate a female VP, you are not a critical thinker.

Again I ask you, if he really did say this, why is it coming out at this particular moment? Why did her campaign make this accusation just before the big debate and shortly before Iowa when Warren is far down in the polls? It is clearly manufactured drama and poorly contrived.

No one is claiming that he is a saint. He is a decent person who happens to be one of the very few politicians who has true consistency and integrity over a very long career of fighting for the working class. He is a good leader and holds policy positions that are egalitarian and good for the country and the people.

I haven't seen any of this misogyny. Can you give me any examples? And even if some of his supporters are behaving that way, that is not a reflection upon him.He has millions of supporters. In any group that large there are going to be some bad apples. He can't control every word spoken by every person who supports him. If you want to criticize him fine but don't shit on him because of what some random bro said.

Do you think Warren doesn't have supporters who say mean bigoted things. Just yesterday a Warren supporter told me that men always lie to women and then refuse to argue. How sexist it was of her to accuse an entire gender of such a thing.

@RoboGraham She came out with it after Bernie started attacking her. The entire male gender has been complicit in keeping women as second class citizens and the GOP continues to try to roll back why rights women have gained. You seem a little too hysterical about this issue, snowflake!

My second choice has been Warren, ..the only way I could consider Bernie, were if my first choice were his running mate....Bernie is just at that age where things happen overnight to a persons health. Same with Biden....Warren has shown bad judgement in this attempt to burn Bernie....will need to wait and see if fatal. My ideal ticket Buttigieg - Warren or Warren - Buttigieg

oh yes I so agree too many old men and women running id like to see a younger man or woman and mayor pete is thoughtful and calm and friggin wicked smart

@whiskywoman would like to see younger people running our country, advised by older experienced person of opposite gender....enjoyed your photo selection.

@powder oh hell no

In doing couple’s counseling, I still find it amazing how two people can interpret past conversations between them so differently. That being said, it would be so out of character for Bernie to say that. I also get annoyed with the constant attempts to paint Bernie as a misogynist, when his entire political career proves the contrary.

I agree

doesn't prove anything about him and warren

@whiskywoman It does help to prove that he does not actually believe that a woman shouldn't or can't become president. It is a smear created by the Warren campaign in desperation.

@RoboGraham it only shows he is open in the future I like Bernie and I think there has been a lot to do about bullshit because that is what the media does we are so hyper focused but Bernie has had other problems in his campaign on this subject mostly ones I didn't believe and if nominated though I think he won't win id vote for him

@whiskywoman It's difficult to understand what you are expressing when you don't use punctuation. What are these problems you refer to?

When there is a case of she said he said, the only way to discern the truth is to look for your history of actions, had Trump or Harvey Weinstein been the "he" in a similar case then obviously you would believe her, but Bernie has a solid history and background of saying quite the contrary of what Warren is claiming, so based on charactwr, background and history, I believe Bernie.

And there is the fact that he allegedly said this a long time ago. Warren had no issue with it until just now coincidentally right before a big debate and Iowa. This is obviously a desperate smear.

@RoboGraham not allegedly, the videos are in youtube. That's what I meant wihen I said "solid history and background of saying quite the contrary of what Warren is claiming,."

@Mofo1953 Oh yeah for sure. I was referring to what she said he said about a woman not being able to win.

And to think that one time I liked her..... Then we truth came out... links the MI Complex.... doesn't really stand for change ... the big ideas about attacking wealth watered down... and now a knife in Bernie's back. I think people are on to her. She knows it and also that she shares similar supporters to Bernie. I think he did his best not to have run ins with her, but now the game is up and she did it. They have to choose between him and her. Hope they choose him.

neither would be better they are wonderful senators and we need them there

@whiskywoman Don't you think one of these wonderful Senators could do even more wonderful things if in the white house?

@RoboGraham mayor pete could its just as important to take the senate otherwise we are in the same place no matter what Moscow owes us at least 12 yrs salary

@whiskywoman There is much that a Sanders administration could accomplish even without the senate. Do you think Vermont or Massachusetts would replace them a republican senator?

I think whatever Bernie said got misconstrued/misheard/something. Don't think Bernie would've said anything that outrageous out loud, and certainly not to a woman who was running for president. It would've been incredibly stupid on Bernie's part. The Democrats, as a group, have better things to do than to attack each other. Any of them is better than Trump. Trump is the opponent, not each other. The Democrats need to get their heads out.

Bad form on the part of the journalists to force a he-said/she-said during a debate. Pits two friends against each other, forced one of them to lie, and divisiveness is not what we need right now.

This is a she said he said. The media is a big part of the problem but it wasn't them who created this mess. the Warren campaign put this accusation out there in a desperate attempt to take Bernie down as he is surging and she is falling. It was she who betrayed her friend.

@RoboGraham That may be true. I really don't care who started what. It didn't belong in the debate.

@Shawno1972 True. This pretty little argument has no place in the debate. Blame CNN for bringing it up. And it seems to me that the Warren campaign probably coordinated it with them.

I feel that it is a media provoked misunderstanding designed to discredit both Warren and Bernie. Keep in mind that the DNC wants nothing radical or too far left and even had Obama tell us so. In this sort of distraction remember that Trump asked the Ukraine for dirt on Biden and not Warren or Bernie. This tells me that both Trump and the DNC know in advance who Trump's 2020 rival will be. Look deeply inside this and you can see the anger that people had when Trump was elected and know also that it is still there on both sides. We have been betrayed. Isn't it time to refinance your home? Use every app that comes along and try a second mortgage. Is it all about money?

There is a lot of BS flying back and forth and the 24hr news channels are clawing for ratings... and the Russian Bots - aka Vlad - are getting their money's worth ...and Burnie the Democratic Socialist - aka Communist - aka born in Africa - has a giant hill to climb - not sure if he is as electable - as a woman - or maybe a Black woman... come on Michelle!

Clearly you don't understand what communism is.

Born in Africa? Are you seriously making the same nonsense accusation about Bernie that the republicans made about Obama?

@RoboGraham - Hahaha... of course you do understand satire when you see it?

@FrostyJim Not if the satire isn't funny and just sounds like somebody saying some very absurd things. So which part were you joking about?

@RoboGraham - I will leave that up to you... satire isn't always funny unless you think it is.

@FrostyJim oh so the funny part is the idea that Michelle Obama is more electable than Sanders. I get it now. Well done.

@RoboGraham - how about Oprah? ...at least she has a strong heart?

@FrostyJim How about Sanders? He has a very long record of fighting for working people and challenging the elites. He has loads of momentum and he is raking in grassroots support and funds. He has consistent policies that will help the country and the people. He has enthusiasm with young people and people outside the democratic party. He is by far the best chance we have to remove Trump.

@RoboGraham - I will support whoever the Dems put on the ticket ...even if that is Oprah? Sorry, but I don't think it will be Bernie ...but I could be wrong.

@FrostyJim Well then I hope you are wrong. No offense.

There had better be syrup and bacon. Oh, I thought you said waffles......

I agree

I don't care.

of course you do lol

I have no idea who said what excately how and when, but if Bernie didn't express to her the difficulties and evidence of how mysogony helped - in a pretty damned big way - toss the election to Trump then he did a disservice to us all. Warren, of course, knows this shit being a woman in what's traditionally a man's world so my take on the conversation is this.
Bernie: mansplaining blah blah blah
Warren: No fucking shit (In her inside voice) bah blah blah

So you can see why I think it's much ado about nothing, that's actually a pretty fucking importaint subject that really should be discussed honestly instead of like it's being.

1of5 Level 8 Jan 17, 2020

I believe he said it, but I think Warren's campaign shouldn't have made it an issue.
They've both effectively knocked themselves out.
They're both falling in the polls, and if they aren't able to take the early primary states, they might as well fold up their tents and go home.
Personally, I'm not a fan of either one of them.

I'm not so sure about that. Warren is out for sure, she shot herself in the foot on this one. The second choice for most of her supporters is Sanders. So as she crashes and burns,most of her people will probably head over to the Bernie camp.

@RoboGraham I'm really not a Sanders fan. However, if he gets the nomination, I will vote for him.
I intend to support whomever run against 45.

@KKGator That's good to hear. We need unity.

@RoboGraham I did the same thing last time. I voted for Clinton.
She was absolutely the most qualified candidate.

I also blame all those Sanders supporters who got their panties in a bunch, and either voted for 45 in protest, or stayed home and didn't vote at all.
They're partially responsible for 45 being installed.
If they do it again, they're even bigger assholes than they were the first time.

@KKGator Well if the democrats again nominate another neoliberal,they probably will do it again. They are deeply unhappy with the establishment.

@RoboGraham Clinton was NOT a "neo-liberal". Not even close.
Even saying that is nothing but unmitigated bullshit.
She was probably the MOST qualified presidential candidate of the last 75 years.
Given that you just got done saying, "We need unity", your statement seems pretty fucking hypocritical.
Being "deeply unhappy with the establishment" is just another excuse.

@KKGator She was a very qualified neoliberal.

That's not hypocritical. I'm not advocating for people not unifying and supporting the democratic candidate,I'm just acknowledging the fact that Sanders supporters are fed up and many probably won't vote for another centrist.

I very much believe that we need unity. Last time we unified behind the moderate selected by the DNC. it didn't work out so well. This time we need to unify behind a progressive who actually has a decent shot at beating Trump.

If Bernie really said it close to two years ago, why is her campaign bringing it up just now? Coincidentally just a few weeks before Iowa. Everything was good between them this whole time but suddenly he is a sexist and she refuses to shake his hand on stage? He allegedly said this a long while back and she had no problem with it until just now.

This is a very transparent despicable smear. And it was extremely politically unsavvy. Rather than helping her numbers, it has revealed that she is desperate and lacking of integrity. Her supporters are running away from her and Sanders had one of his best fund raising days because of it. This is amateur hour. She would be crushed by Trump.

Yeah, seems pretty transparent to me as well. It was an attempted hit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:450110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.