Agnostic.com

36 6

Do you tend to spend too much time in your head?

Regarding thoughts such as worry, and stress, William James, an American philosopher, and psychologist, said:

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another."

When we view our mind as a tool that should work for us, not against us, we can decide what to think which can contribute to well being.

Learning this skill (which took a lot of practice) has helped me cope with very trying circumstances, disappointments and hardships. That's not to say I don't get stuck in my head from time to time, but I do it far less than I used to. They're useless thoughts -- energy vampires.

What about you --- do you think you ruminate too much? If you used to but don't anymore, how did you change your pattern of thinking?

• 45 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 7 votes
VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes too much thinking then suddenly realize it! Snaps out if it the thinks of something good. The Brain is like a stage with a play on it. Change the play.

My brain never stops so I chose other. Have gotten better at thought management, distract my self sometimes on accident, eventually, I return to all thoughts.

YES!

keep doing stuff is all I know

I voted other.
Really it's a yes but my shrink gives me something to help with it. 😉

I used to. Decades of meditation and visualization has helped. Sometimes pretty elaborate visualization, but definitely has helped me gain control of my mind more. All be it, more so when I'm alone, but to a lesser degree, when I'm around other people.

@VictoriaNotes @VictoriaNotes I haven't done brainwave training, but thought about it

No, my life and job, as well as a mission is to think and thing clearly and creatively

No, my life and job, as well as a mission is to think and thing clearly and creatively

No My head is my second best friend. My wife is #1 I never get bored with my thoughts or the music,reading, art or other hobbies I am enjoying at the same time. I do not allow stress or other things to bother me as at 78 I am just happy to be alive as many of my friends have passed.The thing I learned as I retired is that nothing should allow you stress as everything has some solution. All one needs to do is be calm and work your options. I wish I had done so earlier as it would have greatly aided my outlook on things.

I don't do that to myself anymore.
I made a conscious decision to stop, and I did.
If I catch myself starting to do it, I redirect.

Correct me if I’m misunderstanding but it sounds like you’re suggesting that the only way to be “in your head” is to be stressing and worrying unproductively. Seems to me there are healthy, constructive ways to spend time in your head too. No?

skado Level 9 Mar 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.