Agnostic.com

43 3

Purpose

So most religious people believe that atheists do not have much to live for because we are godless heathens, so my question is, what brings meaning to your life? Or do you even have to have a "purpose" to live?

TyrionLannister 5 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, that's one of the more idiotic criticisms of athiesm. They have the same purposes as everyone: family, friends, career, art, life, making the world a better place, etc. Minus the devotion to an invisible superfriend.

Doing things I enjoy, with people I enjoy, in places I enjoy gives my life plenty of meaning.

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

The pursuit of happiness, knowledge, adventure, reason, beauty and love are my primary purposes.

I am a star child, manipulated at birth by extraterrestrial beings, I vibrate at a higher frequency and existence, I am more sensitive than most, and yet I am able to endure more pain than most. This allows me to tap into the collective consciousness and total awareness of the planet.
I was sent here from far away to help transform the current society, to inspire, teach and to be a vessel to help raise you to a greater level of understanding and enlightenment. E.H.F. or "extra human function" is what I bring, through alien activation of normally dormant D.N.A. strands that all humans posses. To bring about a more advanced, superior human being for the greater good of your species....that or just to eat pizza.

Since facing death I don't need an official purpose. I just take one day at a time.

I guess that helping others gives my life purpose. I work to try to make sure that parents that have neglected or abused their children have the education necessary to strengthen their family unit. My goal is to leave this world having made a positive difference in at least the life of one individual.

My purpose is to help others I believe.

My purpose: work hard so I can afford a lot of holidays then back to work!

ABack Level 6 Mar 28, 2018

@TyrionLannister Holidays mean experiences and experiences create lasting memories!

Carpe Diem is what I live for! Many religous folk I know are so busy preparing for their afterlife, thety forget about the day in front of them

My "purpose" is whatever I decide it is, on any given day.
Some days, I don't have one, and that is absolutely fine with me.
As far as "meaning" goes, I'm here. That's all the "meaning" I need.
Like I'm going to go along with anything the delusional believe.

I don't really think of my life in terms of "purpose". Do religious people NEED "purpose", I wonder? I live my life trying not to hurt anyone or be hurt by anyone if I can help it. I enjoy several creative passions, my grandchildren, a small circle of friends, my pets, most of my family, and I hope to find love again before I go toes up! That, and relatively good health is all I require.

Try and navigate life while leaving what I think is a positive impact, with my limited knowledge set, whilst simultaniously looking after myself and the life around me as much as possible. Connecting with nature and friends works for me. Trying to be kind to myself and others, even if that means opting out of some situations. Plus having a good laugh, joke and sing when possible.

What gives my life purpose? Creativity, whether it be making robots, writing, doing a web page, or whatever. Helping people when I can. Being able to look at myself in the mirror and say yes when I ask myself if the world is a better place for me being in it.

I believe our actual purpose is to keep mankind pointed in the right direction as we steer through this twisty path of diversity towards the inevitable homogenization. Once there we can start to develop collective consciousness and evolve.

In the grand scheme their silly beliefs mean little. But in the minute details they cause a rather bumpy ride. Sometimes that ride outweighs the good it allows for in terms of social conduct. Sometimes it doesn't. It's up to them. But don't push the fish.

The concept of an evolving collective consciousness is interesting.

I see mankind eventually becoming a mental murmuration.

Someone once said: "The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose." From that I deduce that it is up to me to create a life of purpose. I love my work and I have a few different interests and love to spend time with friends and others from whom I can learn something.

I like this quote:

“You’re an interesting species. An interesting mix. You’re capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you’re not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we’ve found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.” – Carl Sagan, Contact (1985).

My job gives me a purpose. I've done a lot of good work that benefits my fellow humans in the testing labs I've worked at.

As I only have one life, my purpose is to make the most of it and enjoy my time on this planet.

If I can manage that without pissing too many others off, then all the better.

I create projects for myself that hopefully leaves a lasting positive effect

I don't think having an over all purpose is necessary.

I think purpose can be foudn in pursuing one's passions, enjoyign things that make you happy as well as love and friendships

We bring meaning to life by our thoughts, decisions, and actions. Otherwise, life has no inherent meaning.

On this road of life, I've learned. I've passed what I've learned onto others and hopefully helped someone along the way. Possibly I've affected how some see religion and set them on a different path of enlightenment. If seeking the truth is purpose then that's mine.

I’m here to give, to experience all I can, and produce joy and happiness.

Some days, my purpose is my children. Other days, my purpose is to anger and annoy as many people as I possibly can.

For the record I am spectacular at making people annoyed and angry.

Not sure how I'm doing with the children, they are all still alive, so perhaps I'm doing ok.

Purpose implies that we were made with intent. For example cars were built with the purpose of providing transportation. If you are asking about what gives us meaning, well that varies based on personal priorities and philosphy. Personally I derive meaning from the challenges I overcome, the problems I solve, the enemies I defeat, and the mysteries that I solve. In short I derive my meaning from the effect I have on the world, as that is all that will remain of me once I am dead.

My thought is, if you see a niche to be filled - something missing in our culture that could be filled with your talents, strengths and passion, then that is your purpose. You have to see where the needs of the world and your talents cross and therein lies your purpose.

My purpose is to “normalize” humanistic (agnostic, atheistic, naturalistic) thought. I currently do this by offering secular weddings and funerals which are positive and inspirational. I hope someday to finish a book I’ve been writing for years, that could show a new perspective toward a more plausible and positive spiritual mythos than what we currently have.

One doesn't have to have a higher purpose to live - sometimes just getting by alive is all we can do - but hopefully we all strive to bring a little happiness and joy to at least our small circle of family and friends, settting a good example of how we think a good life should be lived in our own particular circumstances.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.