Agnostic.com

2 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Admin @cs10 Is there a possibility we could have an exception list to the "all caps to lower" rule in the posting routine? CSAIL-MIT is an acro for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab - Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Computer folk have long said a computer can do very fast only what someone knows how to tell them to do.

These days, that's not entirely true. Programs can now modify their own programming, because some languages allow for meta-programming. Still... they have to have a starting point.

@bingst I was usually laughing and only a little high as I told people my work included telling computers what to do, how to do it, when to start doing it, and importantly when to stop doing it. I sometimes “patched” machine code into “patch space” (are those terms still used?) and could have written viruses but wanted to continue getting paid.

@yvilletom Patch is still used. I can't say that I've ever heard the term "patch space."

@bingst Patch space was a block of memory in large aps such as compilers left unused so bug fixes could be put there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:453460
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.