Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In a world where people do believe in gods its good for me to have a word than explains myself as not being one of their club- Atheist is a good word for me it explains myself and has the added advantage of scaring people off the subject with me - If it were a natural state for everyone fine! till then I'll use any words that work to get people out of my face with their 'god bless you's'.

An atheist is in a position of faith that there is no god. Just like a theist they have no proof that reality is not intentional

disagree strongly I don't have 'faith ' that there is no god - I don't care to hear about or make up stories about men in the sky (I have no faith) and I feel that the actual word faith is meaningless - Back to the invisible pink unicorn and the flying spaghetti monster- Do I really have to actively disbelieve in a thousand plus, things in order for someone to get that it is of absolutely zilch importance to my life - You can believe that for yourself but don't be putting it onto me! Own your own words they arent everyones truth

Believing a egative is still a belief, a speculation. Concerning more is a belief in one’s own straw man argument. A powerful position is Socrates’ when he said that wisdom is to be aware that knows nothing until one humbly seeks for the truth. In short beware of my-side bias

@Gripster31 ----and you still want to convert me to your 'words!" how about we leave each other alone because as I have said many times - I have no interest in this - Atheist is still fine by me and everybody knows exactly what I mean by it - Play with words to your hearts content - please do but leave me out of this one please 'now' thank you, as you don't listen to anything I am saying.

@Gripster31 he also asserted women have more teeth than men...couldn't be bothered to look, I guess.

An atheist is in a position of faith that there is no god. Just like a theist they have no proof that reality is not intentional

Nope. Not how it works. You can have a position on faith, which would be what you're talking about, but that's one step removed from the plain reading of your statement. If one lacks a belief in something, that is not a faith position. It may be a position of ignorance if that thing is a reality,. In a reality where no one can know, however, not believing is a neutral position. It's not like, say, global warming, where we have proof of that, and not believing is an active position.

@ChrisLAbbey nope
To claim as an atheist that there is no god is to make a claim not based on evidence but in a confidence in you intuition, or a faith in it. Otherwise one would be an agnostic.

I have no problem with using athiest. Being an atheist is quite liberating. I'm no longer tied to bs religion views on the world, sexulity,etc.

Thank you for the question I think it's a good question. Personally I can say that I definitely don't fear the word atheism or atheist however to be an atheist, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this at this point in my life, also requires faith probably the same amount of faith that believing in God requires. Having said that I personally I'm not comfortable with labeling myself atheist. Because neither party has any proof one way or the other which is why it's more accurate to label oneself as agnostic.

I beg to differ; you don't need proof to be an atheist. The word itself means someone who doesn't believe in a god; from American Atheists: Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods. It is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about a person.

I am Ok with the A- word because those other-s you mentioned santa and tooth fairy arent quite so all powerful and all consuming as god and angels which appear in conversations very often - A child losing a tooth is a pretty family sort of affair not involving a god and santa is usually seen off by the age of seven or eight with no hard feelings because most kids actually know it is mum and dad- But god is actually very present for many many people we are exposed to and so while I agree with you about that state being the norm it is constantly under pressure no one really proseletyses about santa or tooth fairies its in the hands of the parent s but people go on and on and on about god its on the radio every day etc. I like 'atheist' as it shuts people up and you only need to use it once (where I come from). My friend always says - 'Dont let them start!'

I like the word, and I'd say it describes my (lack of) belief well, however, I don't always use it. I'm a professor, and one of my classes specifically covers arguments for/against gods' existence. Since (as mentioned by others in above posts) I'm not 100% certain of gods' (grammar nerds: I'm intentionally referring to plural "gods" so please lay off the apostrophe comments!) non-existence, so I call myself an agnostic. I've been teaching this class for over 25 yrs, and I've found that a large portion of my students will close themselve off to anything I say if I label myself as atheist, but very few will if I label myself agnostic. As a good case can be made that either term could apply to me, I go with what will allow me to reach and teach the greater number.

Personally I prefer Humanist or Secular Humanist. Sam Harris often speaks about Atheism/Atheist as being a word we do not need, just as you have mentioned. His words: we don't need to be identified as Anti-Astrologers if we don't believe in astrology or labeled Non-Racist if we do not believe in slavery. look for some of his videos on Youtube.

As an agnostic, I’m not willing to wear the label “atheist,” though I have no problem with those who do.

You did not learn classical Greek , right? I recommend Wikipedia.

I don't have a problem with being called an atheist or describing myself as such but I'm much more of a humanist.

I used to be atheist but now or "graduated" to agnostic because the more i live the more i learn and my views have changed slightly. I feel we are all animals with large problem solving brains and imposable thumbs!

I am totally comfortable with it. I also am fine with making sure people understand that belief in or the indoctrination of children with Santa or the tooth fairy is just as absurd as indoctrination of belief in God before they can even reason on their own.

More comfortable than the Christian Bigots who so piously refer to themselves as Christians.

I don't mind it. But I see it as a statement of absolute knowlede there is no God of any sort. I don't think we know enough to say 100% we know that. We may believe that but no one knows that 100%.
So I use agnostic. But I would not say anything about it if someone uses it. I might use it myself in some situations where it seems aporopriate to make a stronger statement to avoid any confusion.

I feel like the main difference is the societal expectations regarding the subject at hand. If I don't tell you I don't believe in Santa as an adult, you already assume I don't. Same goes with the Tooth Fairy, or any other such make-believe creature or story. However, staying silent on your beliefs creates a different narrative altogether. The norm is to be religious, even if just barely so. To claim you're an atheist sets you apart from the "neutral" setting people have for random passerby's.

This is also why I am an advocate for being not only comfortable saying you're an atheist, but unwilling to use fluffy language to indicate anything other than non-belief. If you want people to naturally assume someone isn't religious right away, more people who are un-religious need to speak out and say as such instead of letting the assumptions of others categorize them falsely.

I like "non-delusional". That's a great sentiment!!! I am proud at calling myself a firebrand atheist.

I don't mind the term at all, it gives people an idea of where you're at even if it lacks specifics about you. But as a term it seems consistent with, for example, typical versus atypical

Perfectly. When people hate me for it, I wear their hate as a badge 🙂 I mean what could be better than getting thrown out of a club fulla nuts worshiping nonsense? 🙂

If there is no scientific proof............. it doesn't exist. Period.

Especially when I'm in the US I do feel like I'm being provocative when I describe myself as atheist. Its really too bad because in France, where I'm from, it's really not a big deal, as it shouldn't be. Still, despite the fact that the word here may have a negative connotation to a lot of people, I still use that one because other designations appear to me as sugar coating.

Let us say that we were mislead six thousand years ago into believing in personified gods. Let us add that not everyone agreed. Time went by. Today we have all those belief and non-belief systems and people don't remember where we came from because those back then hid that knowledge from our ancestors. What do we have here? Confusion in the mind of mankind. That is why you have to ask those questions. Now answer them: Nacrea: Natural Creation.

I'm so used to it by now, I guess I'd say, extremely comfortable.

Very comfortable.

Humans have created an existence centered around labels. I think it is utopian to expect a world without "faith", thus the label "atheist", while seemingly acknowledging most still serve some sort of religion, is necessary. And I feel it will be as long as we exist.

Jhawk Level 3 Feb 22, 2018

It is just a description. There is also no word for believers of tooth fairy or Santa Claus. There is a word for believers of deities.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.