Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a proud atheist.

I never identified as athiest until I moved south. I am just nothing. I don't collect stamps, but don't consider myself a non - stamp Collector

I like it. I think the word atheist, a-theist, is a simple and concise way to tell people how I view the world, in general terms. Living near Charlotte in NC, "The buckle on the Bible Belt", the word is also a quick way to differentiate between the knee-jerk reactionary religious fundamentalist types from those who are capable of independent thought. Some people get very angry when I say I am atheist. Others refuse to believe it and claim I am agnostic because I can't prove there is no God and because they don't understand the meaning of the word agnostic.

Just as comfortable with the word "fuck". I find that it is human nature to label things, people and places. If you don't believe in a God of any sort then I suppose Atheist is as good a label as any. If you truly have no clue as to how we got here and where we're going, like myself, then Agnostic is the word to use. They're all just labels and have different meanings for different folk. Just be good, kind and loving and don't worry about the labels. Just tell them you are human...no other explanation is necessary.

Completely, but it is not fully Apt.

These days I use the term Ignostic, which serves two purposes.

1. It stifles argument from most believers with unknowing looks, so is useful if I do not have time for discourse in the real world.
  2. It is far more accurate of my actual thoughts on the matter.

Good point, but I have got used to insanity being normality around me, so a word that expresses rebellion against the insanity suits me. Antitheist is even better.

I am perfectly comfortable with the term. I don't care for the phrase godless heathen, but that's just me.....now that I think about it......Godless heathen seems to be a more accurate description of my situation. Either way, they are just terms to differentiate between believers and non believers. We do need some way to tell us apart. They could just as well call us Georges and themselves Jims. It wouldn't make much difference to me. Let's just agree to allow the Jims their fairy tales, while us Georges follow reasonable thought

I'm not comfortable with the word because I can't prove that God doesn't exist.

I think pretty much everyone prays for help from time to time - just in case.

I am very comfortable with the word, but I realize for many it represents evil. But if we were to use it daily, it would lose some of its negativity.

I am very comfortable with the word, but I realize for many it represents evil. But if we were to use it daily, it would lose some of its negativity.

I'm comfortable with the label Atheist. It is alittle weird that we need a word for non belief though. I guess it shows that there is a long way to go when it comes to the impact of religion on todays society.

I am mostly comfortable with the word, and I use it to describe myself when the occasion calls for it...when someone asks, or the subject of religion comes up.

Santa Claus isn't real?

I have no problem with it, sometimes theists have a problem with it...

I don't mind it, but rational or free-thinker are good words that fit all fantasy beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.