Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My opinion is pretty close to what's written in the post. I have no real problems with the word atheist itself but the connotation it often has.

It don't bother me none. I personallydon't think or take in a derogatory way

Exceptionally comfortable. I post nonstop, it seems, anything atheistic on Facebook; if my family hasn't figured it out yet, oh well.

I have been an Atheist for 58 years. Actually, back then, I called myself an Anti-Theist. On face book I have put my self out there as the American Anti-Theist. I remember the first time I actually used the term Anti-Theist, It was back in the mid 70's . I was working at a FDA research center and someone ask me what my religion was. When I told them I was an Anti-Theist they gave me a strange look. A couple of minutes later they looked at me and said " for a minute there I thought you were telling me you were an atheist!" When I explained what an Anti-Theist was they looked at me and said that's worse than being an atheist! To this day I still don't quite know how or what they meant.

i prefer to think of my self as non religous, but its not something i have to preach. iam far more concerned with the more important parts of my life

Personally, I’m not uncomfortable with it anymore, but other people are, so I usually say I’m agnostic. Hopefully, the religious folk won’t think I’m a devil worshipper ????

Due to the large population of theists I'm fine with it. If they were the minority in the world atheist would just go out of common usage. Although having a word for yourself does make what you're saying easier to dismiss on an emotional basis.

Very comfortable

Quite comfortable.

I tell them I'm Free Thinker now after been raised Catholic and learned what all religions are about. As an adult now, I realized that NO ONE on this earth knows what happens once we die, and even preachers and pastors and other religious leaders do not know. They BELIEVE their faith. And that's o.k. It's just not TRUTH.

I don't know, I oddly find it sexy; not going by a facade and letting yourself be the judge and knowing we're all equal. Often, thinking of a higher power can be quite overwhelming so kudos to all the atheists.

I am not comfortable with it. I think it implies a certainty that all the mysteries of the universe are known by only by me. It doesn't leave any room for doubt. I'm not that certain that I know the shape of the universe, or every entity in it. I just don't worship anyone.

Being an atheist is the human default position. We're all born atheists. We have to be taught that other nonsense. I'm totally comfortable with the word "atheist".

The word "atheist" carries an awful lot of baggage in the world. I prefer "agnostic." This word seems to make room for investigation while "atheist" seems so absolute and sure..... and militant.

Nope. I'm not actually an atheist. I believe in many possibilities, but since I don't actually know what's out there, I define myself as agnostic, or more specifically, a pantheistic buddhist christian agnostic. (it comforts me to retain some belief in christ, illogical as that it.)

I am comfortable with the word, and I think it is needed because it seems like the norm is to have a believe in a deity. If a majority group was trying to install Bigfoot worship in our children's school, we would need a name for Abigfootists who were rational. I wish theists would come to their senses. Maybe some day they will join us, and the world can be as one.

I'm a new member here. I just usually say I'm a non believer. I live in the USA and sometimes some people have a look like you don't believe in god? They seem bewildered. That seems strange to me.

I agree with your point. I like non-theist better, if a label must be applied.

Although I've referred to myself as an atheist at times, I'm not totally down with the word, which originally was employed only to condemn those who doubted religion. I wouldn't categorically deny the existence of something I cannot even conceive of, but I will remain skeptical. After all, I don't believe anyone knows everything there is to know, or even much, about this universe, existence, life, reality -- whatever -- and its origins.
In fact, I don't even know why my profile picture is sideways.

I'm totally fine. I'm up in the air with the word agnostic though. People I encounter tend to use it to describe people who "haven't found Jesus", like if I only knew what they know, I am still saveable. That's just not true, though. I left religion, it wasn't that I just didn't get into it.

I am just honest about atheism and how nobody can be truly 100% certain. We can say there's no evidence, and act as though that's the same as there not being a god, but they're logically two different things. It's like saying no oranges are blue. That's awfully hard to prove. It's just as hard to prove as someone saying somewhere there exists a blue orange, but I can't tell you anything more about it.

I love the word Atheist. I have to remind myself not to be so smug about it on the inside since I'm surrounded by deluded people. Ha ha ha!

While a identify as a Huxleyan agnostic I think that leads to being a post-modern atheist: ie, one who does not believe in God(s). So I am comfortable with being identified as an atheist in that sense.

Which Huxley is that?

Oops! Should have been "While I identify" Thanks for the pass on the typo. That would be Thomas Huxley, the scientist who coined the word agnostic in 1869. He initially was encouraging young scientists to resist religious pressure and insist on evidence in order to accept something as true. He specifically said that we couldn't know about "metaphysical" statements in the absence of any evidence one way or the other (about th existence of a God, for example.

It seems to be a double edge sword . A baby is born , the sun rises the sun sets both are beautiful . Unexplained blessing , the healing of the sick , you say there is a God . Then you see the death of an infant , sickness, disease all kind of injustice in the world . You wonder is there a God , does he exist . If so why is he allowing all this to happen. Why is everyone in such turmoil and I am so blessed . The bible teaches seek and you shall find so I asked God why he said its my will , . WILL FOR WHAT PURPOSE. Its a matter of trust , trusting there is a God and everything works for the good to those that love him . To love him or her is to know him , talk to him or her through our prayers and faith in him . Watch how he works in your life . The country prayed for healing of our land and Trump became president, now everyone seems to be pissed off he is . Faith and trust .

It seems to be a double edge sword . You see a sun rise,, the birth of a child, healing of the sick, unexplained blessing , you would say there must be a God .. Then you see a child dying , war , famine , all kind of injustice and wander where is god . Does he exist , or why am I so blessed and others are not . Then we are taught not to question what god does ,its his will . The bible says seek and you shall find , so we seek an answer and God replies,"its my will ". I would still like to know why .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.