Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just a word to me, so....comfortable.

I’m pretty comfortable with it. I agree with you that it is the natural state of things. I think religion is just a bad coping mechanism. A way for one to deny or avoid actually facing and thinking about a problem. Also to deal with the fear of death.

To me, atheism does not really make sense - because it requires an absolute certainty that no God exists. I don't claim to know that with absolute certainty - we don't know where the Universe and everything in it came from, how it was created, etc.. so I think that "the jury is still out" on whether there is actually a "supreme being" of some sort who might have created everything. That's why I'm an agnostic- I don't claim to know.

The fact that you can’t absolutely prove something doesn’t give it grounds for existence. You can’t prove that there isn’t a population of super intelligent squirrels living on one asteroid in the Kieber belt but I think we can all rationalize that they aren’t there.

I am a person, athiest refers to the relationship to religon.

when speaking with other non believers, the word used most often is “rationalist.” Theists use the word “atheist” because they really don’t know any better. When one speaks with a theist, one uses terms with which they are familiar, in the same way that one uses French when speaking with someone who only speaks French. I don’t believe I am conceding anything to them when they call me atheist. I’ve been called a lot worse. It’s just that use of logic and reason are foreign concepts to them...they simply know no other way.

Actually proud

Absolutely and completely comfortable since I can view myself as being an Individual and NOT one of mere herd of Sheeple.

I was not comfortable with it for years. I called myself Agnostic for a long time, but had to concede the fact that I really don't think there is a god, and I don't subscribe to the idea of belief itself.

I wear it proudly. Don't care what anyone else thinks, and can't believe the lengths that some of the 'christians' will go to to try to convince me otherwise, to the point that they argue, denying that I'm NOT a christian.

If you were a single Mom who needed a job as I was a few decades ago, you'd pretend as did I.

I ware it like a badge of honor. Also heathen

I don't have a problem being an atheist or being called one. I don't believe in god I'm an atheist.

I not only accept the word but I embrace the word, to the point where I would call myself a militant atheist.

The word is fine and I'm comfortable with it as an adjective. Labels are problematic especially when people disagree on the definition.

Gray Level 3 Nov 18, 2017

In northwestern Europe anyone describing themselves as a Christian is regarded as rather 'odd' or a little bit simple. So to be referred to as 'atheist' would be rather comforting.

You make good points. Personally, I am very uncomfortable with the word as I was raised in a christian household and I fear I would be subject to "remedial intervention" or ostracized in some way, perhaps covertly, if my relatives knew of my beliefs. I have let it be know that in the present political climate I would be deeply ashamed to be associated with the preponderance of christians who voted for and still support Trump.

Exceedingly.

It don't bother me

Have no problem telling people that I don't believe in invisible men.

Know what you mean.
I hate the word Brexit. But just try having conversation in the UK without hearing it.

It depends on the audience. I try to be non-confrontational until confronted. Experience has shown me that there are people that will be confused by the term atheist because of negative connotations. I'm not comfortable starting a fight with every true believer that comes along. I would rather pick my battles.
Remember that there are preconceived notions about that word and you can really stir up a bunch of quotes they've heard or feelings that they've had but if you offer up a description such as "I don't believe in any superstitions, even magic, ghosts or gods" you can put them on the defensive, force them to think about what they are saying. It might even make them think about what they really believe if they aren't otherwise superstitious or don't believe in ghosts. Don't hold your breath though.

People always try to label things. Try to put everything in it's own little box. Each person should be allowed to think, wonder, love, and be free as long as they are not hurting someone else or imposing their will on somebody else. How can one have an honest discussion when people are labeled as snowflakes, progressives, libtards, Rebuplicrats, liberals, conservative, anti-Semitic, conspiracy theorist, etc. You get the idea. Republican/Democrat no matter the end result is the same. We the people are under attack, and so often the "official" explanation is contrary to the facts but most choose to believe it anyway.

orion Level 5 Nov 13, 2017

Very comfortable.

I am very comfortable with using Atheist as my label. I am actively involved in our local Atheist community, and we try to de-stigmatize the word by using it in our everyday life. I have had some believers who behaved as though I had the plague when they learned of my Atheism, but they usually come back around after they realize I am the same person they knew before .

very.

I understand what you are saying and rather agree but I don't mind saying Im an atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.