Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Quite comfortable.

I don't believe in the existence of any gods why does that need a name. It's there a special name for someone that doesn't play soccer ? Or for someone that doesn't like to watch sports on tv ? No there isn't why do I need an assigned title for not believing in some invisible man in the clouds ?

Might as well ask me 'What are your thoughts on cabbage?' I don't think about it. In the end, I am a me.

Source:

Me

Very!

i too dislike the word. It implies that being a theist is the norm. Certainly in the UK non believers are in the majority so the word should not be used.

I don't consider myself an atheist because I don't know. If anything I consider myself an agnostic diest.

I also don't like the word atheist.
I prefer non-believer or unbeliever.

Not happy with the term atheist as it is too reactive, hard and dogmatic. I think God is at the root of everyone and is the principle of their purpose and true fulfilment. But i don't pretend to know God as some exhaustive all encompassing formula. God is the great Mystery and so the term agnostic--i don't know--fits with my sense of God's presence.

Instead of just using the word you can use the definition.

I'm fine with it as a word. Defined in Webster's.
Words cannot hurt you.

Are you an atheist?

I am quite comfortable with the word “Atheist” as most of the most brilliant minds that have existed, and most of the greatest contributions to humanity have come from individuals calling themselves Atheists. The fundamental question then is how comfortable is the remainder of humanity with the word? From my experiences, not very. The misconception that atheists are inherently evil persists. Atheists comprise 3.1% of the US population, agnostics 4%, an religiously unaffiliated people 22%. However, atheists comprise a paltry 0.01% of the Prison population. The differing religions comprise 78% of the US population and 78% of the Prison population. These facts notwithstanding, religious people persist in the perpetual delusion that morality and goodness comes from religion. So I remain uncomfortable revealing my atheism to individuals such as they.

You might change the wording of that, "The differing religions comprise 78% of the US population and 78% of the Prison population." To; "The dithering religions comprise 78% of the US population and 78% of the Prison population."

I dislike the term "atheist" because it is not coupled with the term "theist" Non-atheists usually get to go around being termed "normal" At least that is how I see it. Most of the time it does not come up in my conversations.

An agnostic is not an athiest. Two different animals. Called myself agnostic till I looked it up . Turns out I'm a misotheist. (look that up). I dont' even attempt to explain it to my deeply religious relatives. I love them, but not "the great I am".

I have an athiest emblem on my car, along with the flying spaghetti monster. I will flat out tell people I'm an athiest, but only if it comes up. (Invite to a church meeting, asking me to pray... stuff like that). I don't generally go around yelling I'm an athiest. That would be insane.

I do have "non-believing" friends. I think the word atheist is still a scary word for them. Unfortunately in the US, especially right now, it's an invitation to ridicule, ostracism, and name calling. (Heathen, devil, devil worshiper, sinner, immortal) People sometimes then feel the need to be dicks and tell us we can't celebrate CHISTmas, because you know, those Christians are persecuted. ?‍♀️ I've also been told I'm immortal, have no ethics or empathy.

But I've hit a point in my life where I just don't have any more fucks to give. I find not saying much (unless provoked) makes them madder when they do eventually find out I'm the "heathen" they were taught to hate. But yes, when asked, I will use the word atheist.

Meshy Level 2 Dec 24, 2018

Good for you. You have the courage of your convictions. I tend to quail. I tell people that when the matter came up in my youth, when I was threatened with hellfire and damnation, I turned to the encyclopaedia Britannica, which great Aunt Suzie had given the family. I reasoned that as it was more current than the bible, it was more likely to be accurate. Therefrom, I adopted the academic perspective, to which, I hold to this day.

Yes I get where you are coming from - atheist is the Not-A part of the dichotomy in the same way as all other Not-As are subordinate to the A. Plenty of good academic articles on this one e.g. Nancy Jay etc..

Most non-belief in God terms are constructed by the same dominant cultural as has existed for several 1000s of years . Up to us to change it . I sometimes go for anti-theist as I believe religion and more specifically it's institutional, political and cultural powerbase - the church - is damaging to society as a whole. Have to be careful who you say this to of course - i.e.not your very religious boss

I don't consider myself an 'atheist' but if there were no theists, there would be no atheists.

Remember that the term "atheist" was coined by believers to label those who did not believe in their god(s).

It’s not a club; it’s just a descriptive label.

Mostly apathetic.

I have no problem being called an atheist but I don’t talk about my lack of religous beliefs around my religous friends.

I agree for the reasons you stated. Stating what you believe is enough without having to state what you don't believe in.

I like it. It’s clear and concise. Used correctly, it can save a lot of time having useless conversations, or open the door to some really interesting ones.

Anyone who tries to argue that calling yourself an atheist implies any belief system or world view and that atheist are just another "religion" explain the denotative latin roots -a-(without/absence)-theo- (god/diety) and because dogma and ritual can only find refuge in minds surrendered to "revield wisdom." Our title is a negation of cultural norms, the breaking those mind-forged manacles. We are individuals drawn together by that individuality, we are not compelled into action by fear or lies or threats, we act as our hearts and minds guide us.

Thats the best I got... Maybe a bit much in hindsight,
Oh well

Certainly atheism is not a religion. But, absolutely it is a world view. It is a world view in which we live in a natural world, a world driven by cause and effect. It is a world view that is unimpeded by the falsities of religions. An atheist well knows that life ends with the last beat of the heart and the last exhalation of breath. Life is the ultimate gift, treasure it as long as you have it. Honor thy mother and thy father, for they gave you life.

A friend and I were just talking about this. A new neighbor mentioned she was Episcopalian. I did not respond with "I am Agnostic" why the fear of admitting that was something I thought about. I guess I feel judged, like "oh she must be a BAD person" Or even being shunned by my neighbors. It should not be this way, they are not ashamed to tell me they believe in a fairy tale.

You're right, should just be a normal thing.

Not entirely sure

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.