Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK The Electoral College, the Senate, & other ways our democracy is rigged - Vox

This is an interesting piece on the flaws of the US Constitution, but it neglects another solution. A solution I've brought up in other discussions and one which the Framers also could not have envisioned at the time: strategically relocate voters where they're needed. The Framers couldn't have imagined how easily we could travel across the nation. I also realize that such relocations wouldn't necessarily have to be permanent.

bingst 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In UK, where areas directly elect a representative, the constituemcy boundaries are redrawn in order to even out the population numbers. However, in a system where electoral colleges vote, that's difficult.

The number of Electors per state is equal to their representation in Congress, both houses. The redistribution (total number remains the same) of House seats happens after the census, every 10 years.

I don't know about the relocation idea, but it's very obvious that the coasts, as well as urban areas of America vote Dem and the rural areas all vote Repub. Whether the representation of those respective areas is fair and balanced probably depends on which party you support and whether it helps or hurts them in getting power at the federal level. I do know that as rural America continues to depopulate, the Senate as a body and the presidential elections will be the only parts where rural America is over represented..

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:455395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.