Agnostic.com

25 11

Anyone else not watching the Superbowl?

I don't watch televised sports, an American obsession. It's a beautiful, sunny day. I'm going for a walk instead. Tomorrow I will look up the funniest Superbowl commercials.

My alcoholic father withdrew from the family. On weekends, Dad watched football games on TV while listening with headphones to another game on the radio. Sipping scotch in his den. It was impossible to talk with him.

In retrospect, he was probably hung over after playing jazz trumpet with his band on Saturday nights. Dad rolled in at 3:00 a.m. after bars closed.

So, the sound of football games sets my nerves on edge. I associate it with painful rejection by my highly intelligent, critical and funny father. A chain-smoker, he died at 51 from cancer. Resentment and sadness welled up at the sound of football until I got therapy in my 30s.

Baseball is severely boring. But I love the Olympics ice skating and gymnastics. Can always watch the highlights on Youtube the next day.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never watch it. I so like the commercials. Love baseball. Tonight I am binge watching a Turkish police procedural.

I love baseball as well. Which team do you cheer for?

@balou The Yankees šŸ™‚

I'm sorry, and I hope the sport no longer creates too much discord for you.

I've never been a fan of American football, and the health issues it creates is the only reason I notice it at all, as I try to steer each small child in my family away from it.

Even if I wanted to, I don't have network or cable television. Just Netflix and DVDs.

@Lauren

Thank you.

Like you, I just watch Netflix and DVDs.

I encourage all people to avoid playing choreographed violence where only a kicker can usually avoid injuries and it is illegal to harm kickers and punters in the act of kicking....the brutality of this activity is infamous just like us military Veterans

No not watching it, along with quite a few others I think. This is after all an international site even though there is a US majority.

I'd rather watch paint dry then watch the Superbowl.

I enjoy watching football, but I can appreciate your feelings. I have been a general sports fan most of my life, but if there is something better that comes along, I have no problem missing the games. Since i am convalescing right now, I will be watching the game, but have fun on your hike, wish you the very best time.

I'm not watching because my heart isn't in it. At least thats what I'm saying now. My Patriots didn't make it. Expect I might crash early tonight after eating homemade spaghetti and sauce from my freezer collection of cooked meals.

Nurfboy just did a hulu commercial

@Larry68Feminist - who is Nerf Boy? I'll get a recap tomorrow.

@sassygirl3869 tommy softball Brady and his 11 deflated illegal footballs

@Larry68Feminist -no comment-You are talking to a die-hard Pats fan!!!!

@sassygirl3869 the team has paid all their fines without protest EXCEPT nurfboy who was OBVIOUSLY guilty but feigned innocence

@sassygirl3869 die hard BILLs make our division with fish&jets remarkable

@sassygirl3869 see you in Foxboro or Orchard Park, eh ?

@sassygirl3869 final 31-20 your former New England Garrapolo was pik6'd with 2 minutes to play and the 9ers lose another SuperBowl they were celebrating too early in Chiefs endzone with 6 minutes left ahead 20-17 my former BILL Sammy Watkins should be mvp

@Larry68Feminist -Watched Les Miserables on HBO for first time instead. I never skip Super Bowl but this year no parties with friends to celebrate like in the past. I used to tailgate at the stadium with them and not go to the game! Die-hard fan heartbroken.

@sassygirl3869 great tailgate parties are about awesome food and cold beer ..... one thing all Atheists can agree about: coaches and players are WAY TOO STUPID about religion QB Mahomes was at Disney World Orlando 2day wearing a movie company shirt with 4 centimeter crucifix....youngest since Brady to win both 1st SuperBowl and mvp

I would have been, if I'd been at work at the prison. Sort of. (For those who don't know, I'm a corrections officer.)

The TVs in the recreation rooms would have been tuned to the games and most of the prisoners would have been up there watching. I would have been watching them, watching the game, to see that no fights broke out, no contraband or drugs were being passed, and so on.

Turns out, when the vacation book was being passed last year, I took today off as an incidental day. I forgot all about it and showed up today in uniform, then came back home again. šŸ˜€

I haven't followed sport in almost 20 years, since I took the job. It was too hard to keep track, what with working most weekends, and now I find it's mostly an annoyance because the prisoners gamble on the games and the losers frequently don't pay up, with consequences you can imagine.

I enjoy the technical aspects of the game, after all, I played briefly in high school, but all sport has become such a big money enterprise when that money could have gone to much better causes. I haven't been to a live professional event since they tore down Tiger Stadium (damn them!!!).

I find the commercials entertaining.

I never watch sports on tv. I hardly watch tv.

@BitFlipper

I never bought a TV. Instead I love reading.

Calling me "culturally impaired," a man I dated in 2014 went to Costco and bought me a smart TV. He was the IT Director at Boeing. He hooked it up, thank goodness.

Now I enjoy watching movies on Netflix. After six months, I dumped him because he has a mean streak.

We don't watch any sports. Hardly any television at all. We can't stand the commericals.

Not watching. No network TV and no interest.

I stopped watching organized sports when they starting striking for more money in a year than I would ever see in a lifetime.

Occasionally I will watch the Olympics, but not often. I have been known to watch the X-games (extreme sports), or Paralympics more than anything else.

I had no idea the Superbowl was today. In posting this I had to look up what it is called, fortunately it was at the top of the post.

I don't even know what it is, although once in a blue moon I do go to a bowling alley for fun. I have even managed to roll one of those balls and hit some skittles. Once or twice they even all fell down. But mostly they roll down the ditches at each side.

You might like this:

[theatlantic.com]

@alliwant

Gorgeous photos of owls! THANK YOU.

I watch competitive figure skating, that's about it. I will watch the half-time show if there's anyone worth seeing.

I stopped watching grownups playing kids games after college. I do like the commercials and the half time show so I recorded it for that purpose.

What is this Superb Owl you speak of?

American football isn't really a thing outside America. I like watching MMA because it is so completely brutal. Gladiatorial combat for the modern age.

Superb Owl? Thatā€™s hilarious. I watch MMA as well. I like Conor McGregor. Heā€™s highly entertaining to me.

@balou My favourite at the moment is Israel Adesanyou. He's very, very clever, ridiculously skillful and tough as nails.

I find it interesting that your family is full of highly intelligent people. Not a moron or low IQ person amongst your flock? How unusual, but also great for you. šŸ™‚

In regards to your question, I don't watch football. I don't get the sport and it bores/confuses me. My family was more hockey and soccer oriented anyways.

I was far too preoccupied with the Six Nations Rugby Union game, France vs England to think about the Superbowl.

I do not think I have ever watched it,,but have watched the half time show a few times

I'm not watcht

It takes a genius to play jazz....thank you for sharing your family feelings....I see genius in most of your posts.....my father played in the INFAMOUS fake baseball game Ronald Wilson ReaGUN 666 invented on radio over 88 years ago....my father lived across the road from the original Buffalo BILL Wm F Cody....I played both baseball and football in those family traditions but ultimately so a cheerleader would love me....none did and my knees are worse than OJ Simpson of the BILLs.....I call the NFL choreographed violence and most players load up with music hours before the game.....most SuperBowl viewers are watching for "commercials" all have to be approved by the NFL so you will not see dismembered embryonic goo or bible verses to force all women to stay pregnant...lots of beer pretzels dip & finger food like pizza & tacos....Chiefs over 9ers 41-28 my prediction that satisfies KAEPERNICK REVENGE for kneeling during the slave song under the genocide flag

@Larry68Feminist

Thank you. I play jazz, too.

With jazz, the ability to improvise takes a good ear, creativity and confidence.

@LiterateHiker instant perfect pitch mastering both melody and improvisation is quite confident indeed keeping tempo with bass, drums, piano and saxophones on a coronet is awesome

@Larry68Feminist

"Kathleen has perfect pitch," Betty the perfectionist director said loudly. I got whiplash. A volunteer had complained, "Why is Kathleen the only one who gets to tune?"

When my daughter played violin for two years, on Mondays I tuned 51 violins, violas and cellos over the chatter of excited elementary school students. Occasionally I lost the main note and returned to the the pitch pipe.

Betty was wrong. I don't have perfect pitch. Instead, I can hold the main note in my head and hear perfects fifths. That makes it easy to tune.

@LiterateHiker in the symphony, we all make final adjustments to A before the Overture

I do not watch the Olympics. Either the summer or winter I do not disparage them though. The participants work hard to get there and there are millions of people who enjoy watching.
My favorite sport is baseball. I attend several MLB games here in Texas and enjoy it on tv.I do not find it boring. I still play softball.
It was 78 degrees here today. I went for a one hour plus walk this morning and a 20 mile bicycle ride this afternoon. .We all have our likes and dislikes.
I will watch some of the SB, but not the whole game.

Iā€™m watching it. I like the game. There have been some wonderful commercials (with good messages I think most here would support).

But Iā€™m waiting on baseball.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:455696
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.