Agnostic.com

19 16

LINK Christian Blogger on Hitting Kids: “You Must Make Sure It Hurts to be Effective” | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Using reason and talking things out has proven to be more effective than the Christian proposed physically abusing kids,

snytiger6 9 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your parents should be the two people in the world you trust will never hurt you. Corporal punishment does not teach respect. It teaches fear and distrust.

That was my Grandma's Modus Operandi and She Was Not a Church Going xtian... so what Effective Discipline has to do with xtians? Are they the only ones procreating? Don't Think So.

I read that in the USA the first laws protecting domestic animals date from about the 1860s. One woman beat her daughter so badly that her lawyer cited those laws in court. I don’t know the outcome.
Over a century later, the mid 1970s, a San Jose California newspaper reported that city passed the first laws protecting children, taking them from their parents and sending the parents to anger management training.

Spanking is very effictive for making sure your children are too afraid to question anything. This works very well from keeping them from questioning the religion that they were brought up in.

Anyone who rationalizes beating children by saying that they were beaten as a child and turned out OK, did not turn out OK.

When I was a child I got hit, a lot. I always found a way to get my own back somehow. We had corporal punishment at school and one night after being punished by the teacher that day, I got out if bed at 1.00am, ran across town and put a rock through that teacher's window. We lived in a small town. I know that hitting me only made me angry and vengeful so I knew it didn't work. Physical punishment only taught me to be violent. When I had my own kids I refused to use corporal punishment and found more creative and constructive punishments, like picking up dog poo of the lawn. It worked far better.

When you worship an abusive, control freak of a god, then to accept the same from others or to force the same onto others, doesn't seem unfair, I guess.

"A little spanking won't hurt em, even a bruise isn't gonna do any damage"
"And if they get a slap and they get a bloody nose, no one ever died for that"
"But if they resist or fight back, get serious, for their own good"
"

Any site that won't let me read it because I'm blocking its highly intrusive ads goes immediately into the "bye bye" bin forever. Won't miss it. 🙂

My brother and I were beaten regularly. My dad used his leather belt on our bare asses. Our mother would assess the punishments when my dad came home from work - he didn't question anything.

After a couple years of this my dad began stopping at the bar for a few drinks on his way home from work. His coming home later and drunker every night became my mom's focus, so the beatings ended.

In contrast, my dad was an alcoholic when they married. So my beatings from him were after my mom nagged him to "do something for Christ's sake!" and he was hammered and now henpecked... When he stopped drinking, the beatings ended and I remember him saying no to her once, so she started throwing stuff at him. He turned red with rage, grabbed me (I was always her primary target) and took me to a Phillies game. We got there in like the third inning, and didn't watch much, instead he apologized for the beatings I'd taken and told me he wished he hadn't married her and she wasn't the mother of his kids. I was 12 but I still got what he meant. We were more like friends than father and son from that point on.

@Orly So do you feel like you came out of it with a positive male role model?

@BitFlipper I didn't have kids, a big reason was fear I would do the same.

@Orly Same here; I feared I would do the same so didn’t have kids. Married a woman who for similar reasons didn’t want kids.

Is your kid old enough to reason with them? "No." Then you should not be hitting your kid. "Yes." Then you should not be hitting your kid.

I got snatched bald-headed once or twice when I did something outrageous as a kid (figuratively speaking, I wasn't abused, I just got a smack or two on the ass)... but what I really remember was times the old man told me he was disappointed in me. He hadn't laid a hand on me in years by then, I had gotten beyond that. It was far more important to me that I live up to the old man's standards. That was like a punch in the gut, because I knew I'd let him down, and myself as well. I would rather have taken a beating.

Asshole bully

My parents never spanked us four, spirited kids. My husband and I never spanked our daughter. Instead, we used age-appropriate time-outs, removal of privileges, and "I" statements.

Instead of attacking Claire's character ("You are a lazy slob!" ), I said:

"When you leave wet towels on the floor or your bed, it causes mold. Mold ruins towels, bedspread and rugs. I want you to hang up wet towels right after bathing."

Adverse Effects of Beating a Child

1. Hitting breeds hitting.

2. Devalues the child.

3. It devalues the parent.

4. It can spiral out of control.

5. It is a vicious cycle.

6. Hitting is not divine.

7. Anger gets into the driving seat.

8. It stays with the children.

1. Antisocial and egocentric behaviors.

2. It simply does not work.

parenting.firstcry.com/articles/negative-effects-of-beating-children/

1. When my violent parents died I didn’t care.

Sadistic motherfuckers!

The sick bastards can find irrational ways to support their hypocrisy and supposedly under attack religion.

In my experience kids are terrified over gentle taps and words you say to them. They do not need for anything to hurt them to be affective. What they need is consistency of word and deed, not pain and bruises.

Exactly

They can take their corporal punishment and shove it up their asses...my FUCKING MOTHER used a leather barber strap SLICED INTO A "CAT-O-NINE TAILS"...truth...across bare legs...back...ass...when she caught my NUTS...i ripped it from her hand and threw it in the woods and ran away from home for good...don't know if she is alive or dead and really don't give a FUCK.

Good for you. Total respect for you

Christisns can be so far behind the times.
"Spanking is correlated strongly and quite exclusively with multiple negative outcomes for children. The negative outcomes often appear only after the spanking has begun, and the effects of spanking remain significant and sizable even after controlling for the influence of other variables such as parental age, child age, sex, race, family structure, poverty, emotional support, cognitive stimulation, etc."
[psychologytoday.com]

Christians are still waiting for the return of Jesus Christ after 2,000 years. It would be wrong to accuse them of using their brains.

@anglophone - It's particularly difficult to understand since Jesus said at some point that some in his presence would still be alive when he returned. I wonder just how many 2000 year old humans we have living somewhere on earth?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:458116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.