Agnostic.com

29 6

Anyone like Broadway musicals?

I have enjoyed them since I was a kid. One of my favorites is South Pacific, supposedly based on Michener writing, but nothing at all like the book. The music was great and the topic of race was approached in a fairly sensitive (for the time) way. West Side Story, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, and Cats also rank very high.

tioteo 8 Mar 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Broadway Melody of 1929 is one of my favorites (on film) also 42nd. Street.

I like those Warner Brothers musicals like GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933/1935 and FOOTLIGHT PARADE. (Ruby Keeler was a cutie, and Joan Blondell was one of my '30s favorites!)

Yes, Westside Story is probably my fave, Carousel, South Pacific, Guys and Doll, Oklahoma , so many. Love Cats.

I love them and my all time favorite is Wicked.

I like movie musicals: MARY POPPINS, OLIVER!, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, CABARET...
I also like stage musicals like CAROUSEL and Stephen Sondheim's works...

Sure, but only have seen a few in person.

Yes!! Hamilton, Rent, Newsies, Jesus Christ Superstar, A Chorus Line, Sweeny Todd, West Side Story, South Pacific... I'd like to see The Book of Mormon.

Zster Level 8 Mar 29, 2018

Actually saw only one show on Broadway in my teens "Fiddler On The Roof"
Saw "Phantom of The Opera 8 yrs ago in Las Vegas. The best.
In Boston saw "The King and I" with Yul Brynner -awesome and "One Flew over the Cukoos Nest"
Summer theatre-Oliver, Camelot, Brigadoon, On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, Luv, and others

I liked cats though haven't seen it since i left NY as a child and Stomp was awesome

I love musicals, but being in the midwest, I've never seen one on Broadway. That'd be a sweet experience, though.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 29, 2018

I've never experienced one on Broadway, either; I was using the term mostly to refer to musical plays. Having said that, I have seen professional productions in a number of locales: Toronto, Las Vegas, Grand Rapids, D.C. These touring companies were marvelous, although you couldn't call Toronto a "touring" company as they had been in production there for a number of years.
Some community theater productions have been first-rate, fully as good as some of the professionals. I like to encourage them, too.

A lot of shows go on tour after they do their Broadway run. The quality of the productions is just as high in caliber as their NYC incarnations.

Usually not, but I do like Fiddler on the Roof, and few others, if done well. I even played electric base in college for a musical.
If it's going to be on stage, I prefer ballet "musicals" like The Nutcracker.

Love 'em. I was in a community theatre production of The Secret Garden, Evita, and A Chorus Line (all chorus), and did tech for Rent and costumes for Beauty and the Beast and Into The Woods. (I've also done chorus for a few Gilbert and Sullivan shows.)

Since I moved I've fallen off of doing shows. Eventually I'll get back into it.

Big, big musical theater fan. Used to see lots of Broadway shows when I was younger and the prices were so much cheaper. When I was young I also was in some shows in school and a performing arts camp, including a production of "Hair", still one of my favorite shows before and after I was in it.

My all-time favorite show is "Pippin" - I saw it at the end of its original Broadway run, in 1977, and it's what made me fall in love with musical theater. Besides "Pippin" and "Hair", other shows at the top of my list would include "Les Miserables," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Chicago," and "Rent." I'm also pretty much a walking trivia fanatic when it comes to anything regarding Broadway musicals.

Love Pippin! How bout one of you create a Broadway/ Musical Theatre fan group so we can get out of the “Movie, music book” purists ?

I like them enough to annoy my co-workers when I sing along.

I do! I've seen South Pacific more than once. My daughter has been doing musical theater for years. She is part of a local youth community theater that puts on truly excellent productions (I know because I help, LOL!). Through her, I have developed a love of stage. The only do Broadway shows. They just wrapped a run of Addams Family. They did Cats several years back. A few more they have done since she started include; Shrek (awesomely good), Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Anything Goes, Seussical the Musical. They've been around for 26 years or so and do two productions a year. If you are in the greater Sacramento area and love musical theater, check out River City Theatre Co (just Google it). The younger kids are doing Lion King next month.

Good to know.

Live Broadway musicals, (my opinion) the best entertainment money can buy, truly magical. Also love March Madness, but a distant second. One of my favorite musicals was a little know show (odd) called The Quilters, musically tells the story of early American life on the prairie, each quilt told the story of a family’s hardships, joys, births, deaths, marriages... Another favorite is Evita, so many great shows, so much great music.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 30, 2018

I have heard of Quilters.

I saw 42nd Street on Broadway, just can't beat the excitement and energy of live musical theater. Locally I have seen Jesus Christ Superstar, A Chorus Line, Evita, A Book of Mormon, Wicked., Hairspray., Avenue Q. Repetory theater at Stratford, Ontario. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Macbeth, others.. I have seen ballet and opera"s too.

Depends on their pay rates.

I've only seen one and it was absolutely phenomenal. If no one here saw Eric Idle's (Monty Python) "Spamalot" you missed an excellent theatrical interpretation of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Unfortunately I never got to see "The Book of Mormon" by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Just recently read "Beetlejuice" is being turned into a Broadway show.....that I would most certainly see.

I'm fond of many of the older ones. In the olden days before the proliferation of tv, Mom played easy listening stuff. Musicals were huge in what I recall of that time.
Sound of Music. Carousel. South Pacific, Brigadoon, Oklahoma. Camelot. West Side Story. ...
And the Disney movies were musicals, as well, from Snow White on...
smiling

I love musical theater. Unfortunately sinc eI am now partially blind, in order for me to see what is goign on I'd need seats that cost more than I can jusity spending.

still as far as live shows go, I have seen....
A Chorus Line
Cats
Evita
West Side Story
Miss Saigon
Sweet Charity
Fiddler On The Roof
Jesus Chist Superstar
The Phantom of the Opera
Rent
and maybe soem others that don't come immediately to mind.

I also like soem film versions of musicals, although it isn't the same as seeign it live.

Yep... I love music and I love musicals, often perform in them for our local community theatre. Last summer I was in "Oklahoma" and this month I was in "Annie." Plus several others over the years. Have seen shows on Broadway and road productions of Broadway shows elsewhere. My worst problem is that I can not learn dance routines. I am a good dancer, with a great sense of rhythm, use to win club contests in jitterbug and twisting, but choreography is anathema to me. Community theatre is a great substitute for church as a social mixing place... people working together to achieve a common goal, mix of young and old, ethnicities, walks of life etc. Keeps me out of the bars at night, saves money, gives me a challenge, and a good extended family feel.

Know what you mean. One of my favorite parts was Alfie Doolittle in "My Fair Lady".

I'm a in the chorus of the non-professional Toronto City Opera. (We just finished doing FIDELIO and THE MAGIC FLUTE.) My singing range is wide: I can do both tenor and baritone!

Literally have all the ones you name on my Broadway playlists! Along with the Music Man, Zorba, Joseph... etc. Currently obsessed with Hamilton which in my mind is, frankly, a masterpiece.

Essie Level 6 Mar 30, 2018

I love musicals. I love plays, Even some opera, though I cannot understand the words. I like Shakespeare too. No one around here to go with.

I saw the movie South Pactfic. I was a girl and I cried. I loved the Merchant of Venice 'live' and Rigoletto, the opera live. I have watched all the old musicals on TV as a child and will still watch them, for instance, 'Singing in the Rain'. All of them from that era. I like new ones too. Grease, Cats, Burlesque, I could go on and on. I will watch any of them live and enjoy them. I love Caberet, King and I, and Sounds of Music. I am not doing the list justice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.