Agnostic.com

5 0

Reply to charity: thank you lord! How would you react?

I was waiting at a bus stop when a man started talking to me. It did not sound like the normal hustle. He sounded sincere when he said he was just released from jail. He had limited money and had to go to counseling. After talking for 15 min I gave him 10 dollars before we went into the bus. His reply was: Thank you lord. I will pray for you to put you higher. When he left the bus he said about the same after shaking my hand. He was really happy. I don't mind helping people. I give regularly because I have been in bad spots too. What really ticks me off is his reaction. I do not need a thank you, really don't need it. Thanking someone else for money I gave put a bad taste in my mouth. My first thought was not doing this anymore. If this is a possible reaction I can get is it worth it? What would be your feeling and how would you handle this?

dversluis1972 4 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Please, don't give money to scammers. Next time put the same 10 bucks in a St. Jude box AFTER telling them "Don't thank me / don't say you will pray for me / don't mention god...or I won't donate a penny.

The thing that annoys me is when people give credit to God for the actions of a human. It's demeaning. I give a beggar money from time to time; they always thank me. That makes me feel happy, that I've done just a little bit to improve someone else's day. If someone said "Thank God" instead of "Thank you", I'd have to bite back the urge to tell them to stop being ungrateful.

I do not take it that way because when I was religious, i fully credited the people who helped me and thanking God did not make me view their help any less. So now that i am no longer religious, it doesn't bother me at all.

One of the frequent results of generosity, no matter how slight, is gratitude. It's not always given voice, but it can be seen in the eyes and the corners of the mouth. Gratitude, however it is expressed, should be accepted and responded to with kindness. This idea will make itself clear if you can place yourself in their shoes. You know you'd be grateful. You know you'd want to express it in some way.

I have been in tough spots myself. I am origionally from a country where there are much more ateist. Churches a closing down there even mosques. I will have to get used to these reactions.

I'm sure he thought of it as a gratitude to you as well, because (in his mind) he was thanking the most important person for delivering someone helpful to him and said he'd pray for you. I think a good response could be, when he said he'd pray for you, to say that you appreciate it but it's not necessary, you're happy to help — and if he really wants to do something to show his gratitude, when he's in a position to do so, he will help out another who's similarly in need.

Thanks for the reply. I think you nailed it why i give. I always hope they will do this to other people when they get the chance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.