Agnostic.com

17 2

What movies do you find inspirational as an atheist/agnositc?

I'm a big movie buff and am always looking for good atheist movie whether they be documentaries or scripted. My favorites are The Life of Brian, Paul and The Invention of Lying.

Saramarie 4 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll go for any religious movie, through them you will catch a glimpse into the the darkness of the human heart and soul

legna Level 4 June 8, 2018

A documentary, but still - Bill Maher's Religulous. It was hillarious too...

Contact of course. Held up in science, job and socially in public board. Harsh!

I <3 Huckabees is my fave.

The Ledge is also a great film that fits this criteria. It's about a guy trying to liberate a lovely woman from a fundamentalist christian who has a strangle hold over her mind, body and soul.

My favorite movie of all time is I Heart Huckabees. It's not so much agnostic but very philosophical and existential in particular. By far one of the most thought provoking films I've seen and I've seen a lot. It's also incredibly funny. They mix a combination of very heavy philosophical ideas with some outrageous characters brilliantly and the result is pure comedy gold.

I have watched I Heart Huckabees with people who don't do much thinking outside the box and they are generally left bored, confused and frustrated with it, so It's not for everyone but I'd say most people on here would understand it and get a kick out of it.

Paul for sure! Religious, The Invention of Lying, Valkyrie, Schindler’s List, Gandhi,

The Life of Brian, is certainly funny- loved it. Something more serious: The Pianist. It is not a typical look at the holocaust. It is a look at, certainly an upper-class, Jewish-German family, and their unwillingness to realize the danger that they are in: "Pogroms; there have been pogroms before; this will pass."

PK

I love Monty Python 'LIFE of BRIAN" it was hysterical........My favorite comedian was SAM KINISON! Just loved him-he went for it!

Another one I just thought of is Rapturepalooza! really funny.

Mine is "In the Realm of the Senses" based on a true story with very strong psychological overtones. Japanese.

The Shawshank Redemption
The Notebook
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
Life Is Beautiful
Million Dollar Baby
One Flew Over The Coocoos Nest
Ghandi
Philadelphia
Pay It Forward
Hatchi
Sideways
Stand and Deliver
As Good As It Gets

Baraka, revolver, life of brian and dogma for sure! I just woke up but keep this going!

Dogma and Photographing Fairies

apart from the ones you listed i would recommend 3 more; The Sunset Limited, The Mist, and the 1968 original planet of the apes.

There are very few atheist friendly movies.
I enjoyed watching these.

1. AGORA
  2. The Man From The Earth
  3. Invention of Lying
  4. PK( Bollywood)
  5. Einstein and Eddington
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.