Agnostic.com

20 8

If you drive an expensive car, you're probably a jerk, scientists say

Hilarious and apt.

This is true of two rich men I dated. Both acted elitist, arrogant and unkind at times. FLUSH.

"A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth."

"Researchers from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas speculated that the expensive car owners felt a sense of superiority over other road users and were less able to empathize with lowly sidewalk-dwellers."

"They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers."

Your thoughts?

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best way to get information about cars is to ask a mechanic. If you want to know if your car is safe, ask a mechanic. If you've got a problem with your engine, take it to the mechanic. Ask a mechanic if you're just looking for a new car and want someone who knows what they're talking about. Mechanics is an excellent source of information because they deal with all kinds of cars every day and know what questions to ask and how to find the answers. Also, a good source of information for me is รีวิวรถ. They always post the best reviews and latest news.

I drive a 2004 Hyundai 1.1ltr Getz 2 door. I increase its worth each time I fuel it up to the value of how much petrol I put in it!
On Friday I was almost squashed by a Toyota Hylux when it was parked by a rather arrogant fellow who may have been compensating for a perceived lack in his trouser-snake department. His must have been feeling jealous of mine and my tiny car!
Somewhat supportive of the University of Nevada's statement.

@Sofabeast

"Trouser snake" is hilarious!

Only two is hardly a fair sample and it may also be the type of ‘rich’ men you attract.

@Geoffrey51

Of course two is a ridiculously small sample.

I base my opinion on years of being cut off and nearly killed by aggressive, dangerous male drivers. Huge black trucks and sports cars.

@LiterateHiker No red or white vehicles then?

@Geoffrey51

What does color have to do with it? It's the aggressive driver that's the problem. They seem to drive many oversized black vehicles. Trying to be intimidating on the road.

@LiterateHiker You said “huge black trucks and sports cars!”

@Geoffrey51

Get over it. Men with huge black vehicles cut me off and refuse to yield when I have the right-of-way. Rude, aggressive jerks.

@LiterateHiker But not red or white ones!

@Geoffrey51

One asshole in a white sports car nearly killed me descending Stevens Pass on snow and ice. He was in a rapidly disappearing left lane. I was in the right lane. We were on was a steep curve where the road narrowed to the right lane.

He relentlessly tried to force me off the road to the right. But I had nowhere to go. On my right was a hard wall of snow.

Risking getting hit from behind, I braked hard. The jerk shot around me on the left with less than an inch to spare. I'm still shaken by it.

To be of any worth the study needs to be replicated in similar suburbs of cities across America and Europe where there are an eclectic variety of motor vehicles.

I drive a 12 year old Vauxhall Corsa...I’m a very courteous driver!

"They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers."

Well, there's the problem right there. If the drivers were already on the sidewalk, they weren't paying attention to the pedestrians anyway....

But seriously, folks....

I don't like driving in my nearby university town, Ann Arbor, myself, because the pedestrians seem to have an insufferable sense of superiority over the drivers. They stroll out into traffic whenever they feel like it and expect cars, buses, articulated tractor-trailers, to come to a screeching halt and let them pass. Most don't even check to see if there's anyone coming.

Whereas I myself feel it's in my interests to use the crossings, wait for the Walk signal, or at the very least look out for the onrushing 2,000 pounds of steely death. The car will do a lot more damage to me than I'll do to it in a collision, so I feel it's incumbent upon me to yield the right of way.

Hell this must mean I am an almost godlike driver!

Guess who will be setting their auto drive cars to protect me first...mmm

I live in vegas and yep its true.

The vehicle I drive the most is a Bluebird, costs $110,000, does that count? Since I walk to work, the car in the garage is an 18 year old Chevy that I drive once a week, a little more in the summer.

@MissKathleen Yes, ma'am. My fifth season now.

@MissKathleen I do. As for saving the world, best I can hope for is keeping a few children safe.

Probably accurate. It's part of the "big car, little willie" phenomenon.

Well,
Guess I should go buy an upgraded Humvee.
🍺😁

Well then I must be a sweetheart. I drive a 2012 Hyundai.

I used to drive what my husband called a pimp mobile when I could afford it. I like pretty comfortable cars and used to spend an hour and a half a day commuting. Many people have committed on my kindness and consideration throughout my life so i hope i am an anomaly.

BTW, I almost always participated in some kind of ride share program and often shared with some guy driving a Nissan pickup and he never stopped for pedestrians or anything else.

Well, I know guys who have expensive cars and they are sound. So, this is bullshit. Of course there are people who own expensive cars
and are jerks but that's like everything in life. Once I got a lift from a guy in Scotland with a Jaguar and he was very nice. I already had a big car and, behind the wheel I admit I'm a bit of an arsehole due
to road rage but that's me in particular.

@Paddyperia

"This is bullshit"? Untrue. Read the article.

@LiterateHiker, I don't know about the US but here in Europe, by law, everyone has to stop in a pedestrian cross (here usually it's striped and it's called many times the "zebra" ). Probably, for the US, that study/article is valid. Here in Europe, in general, it's not that much. The amount of arseholes on the road is equal for guys with expensive cars or not. I don't drive any more but I see here obnoxious behaviour on the road from everyone.

@LiterateHiker
I've read several peer reviews of this particular article. While not "bullshiski", it is inconclusive due to methodology and population sample. I'd have to add that I don't think any scientific study is needed to verify this obvious (to me) phenomena. 😅🍷

The info you posted is accurate for most of those people. I work at a gas station and I see all the time. Not to mention the ones that park in the fire lane in front the building ,because to lazy to walk a few extra feet. The assholes who park right in front of the door really piss me off.

I've noticed the same phenomenon with people who drive large vehicles.

@BitFlipper

Exactly. I cannot tell you how many aggressive, male jerks in huge black vehicles refused to yield when I had the right-of-way.

Big truck = Little willie.

Also jerks in sports cars nearly killed me with their aggressive dangerous driving.

@LiterateHiker they're not all males. And I try not to criticize men for the sizes of their penises - it's not a choice. Think breast size?

@BitFlipper

It was a joke.

Linda & I have owned everything from a $900.00 Dodge pickup to custom made BMWs we picked up in Bavaria. Our driving habits have remained the same. 😁🍷
NOTE: We've both experienced driving in foreign lands where the "rules of the road" can be VERY different. That has caused some confusion and no doubt perceived as "bad behavior" at times.

Well regulated research does not lie

Often true. Also applies to expensive watches (they always make sure you see it), unnecessarily expensive clothing, etc.

Good point unless it's a vintage classic like MGtd not flashy Benz or BMW caddy that's just showing off their ignorance

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 27, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:464446
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.