Agnostic.com

20 0

When someone says they will do something but don't ... How do you respond when it's family?

Gozer 4 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just stop relying or depeding on them. There are usually some faily members on which you just can't rely on in every family.

It will only happen once
the second time just remind him the first one

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

My family always does exactly what they say they'll do. My kids aren't like that though.

Whenever my daughter told me she was going to meet me somewhere, for instance, I simply changed it in my mind to her saying that she'd LIKE to meet me somewhere, but not necessarily.

Happens all the time. Saying something is useless.

Humans do it all the time. Mankind! Why requires response from me?

There could be reasons why people are like that. Maybe they are just trying to hard to stay up in a conversation, maybe they have good intentions but in reality they are a procrastinator, some people just over commit. I try to be understanding of the reason so I'm not mad about it. Just next time I don't put much faith in what that person says. It probably wasn't a malicious thing to not do it.some people have attention deficits that keeps them from getting much of anything they intend to do done. I'm the type to do what I said I will do but I don't expect everyone to be like me.

I'm used to it

Put a hit out on them

Daughter-in-law, passive aggressive & loathe to be honest. The pattern is to make a promise- about Anything- then forget it or deliberately not do it because she really doesn't want to. I've been the caregiver for their kids for 5 years since they both work & are military so it is continually annoying/impotence-making. Latest: mentioned I hadn't found rechargable c batteries for their toy, she said she'd buy them online, I asked twice about it over 2 weeks, 2nd time she said they had enough electronics & she didn't really want to. ???? I asked if it was okay for me to buy them online. Nuts. I wish she could honestly Address the Issue, but it's been her modus operandi in life to always Look good but do what it takes whereas I am always straightforward, always honest. We make a terrible pair.

Really depends on the who and what.
If it's a common occurrence and the family member adds nothing but stress and agrivation to your life... Cut 'em out
Be polite at family gatherings, but otherwise limit association.
If it's a one time thing and the relationship is otherwise solid, give them another chance.

I find most people including family say things they never intend to do. I was told a long time ago from a friend that she never met anyone like me. When I say I will do it I do it. I have gone out of my way for many people. Over time it does get exhausting. Rolling out the red carpet like I call it gives them the trust that they want and need. For who can one rely on but only ourselves, when truly to exist in this lifetime we need the kindness of another.

I think it depends on if it's the norm or something unusual. If it's the norm I figure that's the type of person they are. I usually put little effort into the relationship. If its not the norm, I will try to find out why. There could be something in their life that maybe they are trying to work through and maybe they need more help than you do. It could be a lack of effort on your part that they are putting less effort on you. Then again maybe they are changing. I think it comes down to, how important are they to you.

That is the norm for me, I just ignore when they say it to begin with. My son is the only person who has not let me down, he always does what he says, my daughter has good intentions, but if a better offer comes up? And my birth family, well, I just hope and pray they are not my birth family. Oh hang on, I am an atheist, I hope they are not my birth family.

@rugglesby 😀

People will always show their true colors and their priorities. Don't prioritize people who don't have time for you. It's doesn't matter who they are.

JimG Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

I really don't have much of a relationship with any family that lives outside of my home. If it is my husband or sons I have no problems with letting them know that they didn't do what they said they would. I don't really expect much from the rest of the world, family included.

I pretty much don't expect much from anyone anymore ,and if it happens it's a plus..

Same as anyone else. When you've gotten your bellyfull of their bullshit, you cut 'em loose. With NO remorse.

I never expect to rely on anything my brother says , until it actually happens . I ignore his promises/offers until they actually occur . That way I don't get hurt , and when he does pull through , I am very pleasantly surprised .

I write them off and ignore them in t he future

I gently remind them. As many times as necessary.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 30, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.