Agnostic.com

35 6

Have you ever looked back on something did and wondered how you survived?

I recently took a road to a lake I used to visit as a kid. It would take me about 20 minutes to get there as a young adult. It now takes about an hour. It is a dirt road with about a 100 meter drop off on one side and a cliff face in the other side. It's about 20 miles to the lake.

Fulishsage 6 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh hell yeah. I should have died 8 or 9 times, at least.

Well, there was that one time I had the speedometer needle wrapped around and pointing straight down to neutral. 5 drunks, me included on bald tires. Good times.

Maybe there is 'higher power,' after all!!!

@Freedompath Yeah, it's probably a good thing I ran out of road and had to take my foot off the gas.

Oh yes traveling alone in a foreign country with virtually no money eating dates to survive and sleeping in youth hostels with no hot water, never mind bunk beds with thin mattresses, and no locks on doors. In a country like Israel in 1973 all I would see were camels, Arabs and solders. I can write a book about my close calls with trouble.

You ate your dates!!!

Wow...you are a brave gal!

There have been several 'somethings'.
What's the point of living this long if you don't have some really good stories
to tell about "the time I almost died"?

Exactly!

Several times, yes.

Hundreds of times lol

Does marriage count ???

Several times.

Even with things that were dangerous, i never thought i was about to die! And i have been in real danger! And on that time thing...It seems to me everything takes longer, than in my young days! It seems like the days are even shorter...when I am trying to get something done! It must be an aged brain perception of time?

Got on the wrong city bus in Mumbai, India in '84 or '85. My friends/companions were receding into the distance so I jumped off the bus. Fell hard, rolled, got up and dodged all the bikes, motorized rickshaws and cars without getting hit. All I got was a big bruise on my hip. Ah, to be young and stupid again. 🙂

A number of times on my motorcycle. Not sure how I survived those times.

My 20's

When I was a teenager in the 70s we used to travel by thumb. It's amazing that any of us survived.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 30, 2018

All the time... a lot of adventures and stories across a few continents in many lands.

sure

many times ... thats called living to the max

Large swaths of my life.

Too many times. 120 mph on icy roads, working derricks, other stuff I won't mention

Yes

Frequently.

All the time, LOL!

Too many things, big wave surfing on deserted beaches during cyclones, driving through flooded rivers,
all when I was younger thankfully.

I was once driving on the interstate with my kids, and suddenly saw that the two 18-wheeler trucks in front of me were going to cut me off and get me killed.

But it was as though I was somebody else..somebody confident, amused, fearless. I stood on the accelerator and shot through a tiny opening between the swerving, speeding trucks, and saved our lives.
But thinking back I knew if I'd miscalculated at all, we'd all be dead instead.

Walking to work 5 am one morning I was walking towards a gas station and a truck was skidding as it had overshot the station, (which it was meant to be refuelling I think). Everything went kind of slow motion as the truck was sliding to hit the service station. He regained control and...no explosion. It was totally out of my hands, but so glad he recovered the truck in time. No one to witness it, apart from me, the driver and the chap in the service station.

My entire life, especially living with violent abusive hubby #1.

I am so sorry to hear that you should move away from him- nobody deserves that

@Rosh thanks...he's been dead for decades, and the nightmares stopped, at least. Not the PTSD, but it is lots better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46777
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.