Agnostic.com

7 10

Today's Hike: Ingalls Creek Trail

Today Karen and I hiked six miles with 1,000 feet of elevation gain up beautiful Ingalls Creek. It's the longest, undamed river in Washington State. A spiritual place for me.

In a high, narrow valley, we expected deep snow. So, we carried snowshoes and used microspikes. Turns out we didn't need snowshoes.

I centered the snowshoes on my pack. Karen hung hers on either side of her pack. Her snowshoes were swinging and painfully hitting her elbows. She didn't tell me until we were almost to the cars.

"I have extra straps to strap them to your pack, " I offered. "No, look how close we are to the cars," she replied.

Hikers value self-reliance. I like helping people.

The trail was covered with thick ice and compacted snow. I slipped and fell twice because the snowshoes threw off my balance. Loosening my shoulder straps created a lower center of gravity. After that, I was fine.

"The snow will hold me," I told myself as an affirmation while steeply descending on snow and ice. It increased my confidence with tricky footing. With afternoon sun, the snow and ice softened, giving better traction. We clambered over and under fallen trees. Cleared the trail of branches.

Karen, 71, was a snowboard instructor. Descending, she is incredibly fast. She visualizes herself snowboarding. As usual, I jogged on smooth areas of the trail to keep up.

"I didn't break through the snow while jogging because my feet were stepping double-time!" I told Karen. "You're like a Ninja," she replied. We laughed.

Photos: Stuart Mountain Range. Ingalls Creek. Karen and me (blue hat). In 2014, a huge wildfire swept through. The wind shifted and spared trees on the other side of the creek.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks cold to me. I would hike it around June. But then, I'm a creature of the tropics. Below 65 degrees is insupportable.

Nice pics.

Thank you

Glad you had a good day. Great pictures as usual!!

Another beauti ul hikes and pictures or the record book,such beauti ul area

Those photos are absolutely beautiful!

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you, dear!

I think I see coronavirus in at least two of those pics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:469865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.