Agnostic.com

13 2

Fermi Paradox: Where are the aliens?

Fermi Paradox bothersome?

Does it concern anyone that as of yet, the Fermi Paradox has demonstrated to date we are the only life in the universe?

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Which of the following do you believe is most likely/?

• 6 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
jperlow 7 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is worth at watch. The speaker believe that we've made it past the Great Filter and thinks we may be the first.

It certainly seems more and more likely that we are alone, at least in our galaxy. This makes mre profoundly sad and does keep me up some nights.

Well, there are far more possibilities than the ones listed above. It's a fun thing to ruminate on. For one thing, we don't yet have a clear concept of how "life dense" the universe is, let alone "civilization dense". The universe is kinda big... from a cosmic scale, the galaxies may appear to be peppered with life, but at our local scale, those spots are too remote from us locally to identify, primitive or not. I kinda like the idea that we and our (hypothisized) neighbors are all on a similar "clock" having our solar systems formed at a relatively similar time and similar way (if they exist at all) with life evolving more or less in tandem give or take a few thousands of years... but that few thousands of years though... say there are 3 "living" planets approaching a sophsitication where they can start broadcasting in our proximity.... that made-up margin of thousands of years (which is small considering we are talking about planet formation, biogenesis, evolution, etc.) is still a looooong time on the human scale. I mean, how long have we been sending signal? It's all speculation... but I think the reality is there aren't any integalactic, massively advanced civilizations nearby, even if they are ignoring us... I think tech on that scale would stand out. It's a distinct possibility that we are just the first ones to show up at this particular block party.

Sentient intelligent life will eventually destroy themsevles. We will eventually destroy ourselves with our technology; weapons of mass destruction, pollution of the atmosphere, ruining of the ecosystem. If you think not just look at the major countries leaders. Hopefully the Earth will still be here and let the cockroaches take over, nothing can kill them.

It's clear at this point that the Star Trek universe doesn't exist, SETI has pursued quite a number of avenues and come up with nada. My suspicion is that intelligence such as ours is an evolutionary dead end, within a century it will be possible to build a doomsday device in a garage, and sooner or later someone will. It's also possible that intelligient life such as us is so unlikely that even we being here is a fluke. The chances of a monkey typing Hamlet by chance is effectively zero, if we are that unlikely, we're alone.

The Fermi Paradox, although poses an interesting question challenging the existence of aliens, cannot stand up to the numbers. It's far more likely that life exists elsewhere than the likelihood of there being this big vast universe with trillions of stars and planets but they're all dead except all the sudden we happened. If it was just us, we would be the biggest fluke of nature in the entirety of existence. I don't think we're that special. So there's probably aliens. They're just too damn far away.

look up 'Great Filters' to see the possible explanations to the Fermi Paradox.

Nomad Level 6 Mar 31, 2018

The probability of aliens existing is to high for us to be alone in the universe. Based on the fact that we have been unable to figure out how to transverse the universe successfully--and only having that information to go on--I'm of the opinion that other beings have had a hard time trying to figure out how to do the same.

Mea Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I can appreciate the probability of large distances between and the difficulties of travel for anyone else out there. I have wondered though since I was young... What if we are the first, perhaps the only, at least concurrent intelligent species around? Not that it would much matter in any case.

According to President dumbaas we are up to our butts in alien, and they are ruining our country.

Yeah, but why do they land in Mexico, then try to walk here. Why not just land here to start out with? 😀

I do get a kick out of how this guy keeps evolving more into the looks of a mad scientist.?

I wish I had this dudes gig.... 🙂 Aliens!!!

In an infinite space I think it is impossible for there not to be all kinds of other life out there of different evolutions, capacities, capabilities and sizes etc. I think it would be close minded not to assume there are many possibilities. I don’t really know if they are here or even give a shit about us, but it makes for great fiction and movies.

Aliens are in the minds of those once created god... they simply moved on and on.... to the next and the next and the next.

Used to believe for a while after indoctrination by Chariots of the Gods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.