Agnostic.com

40 17

What projects are you working on while shut-in?

"Everyone's coming to get materials to work on projects while shut in," the cashier at Joann's Fabrics said today.

Know how you get a mental picture of how you want a project to turn out?

I was looking for a pinstripe fabric- a soft, stretchy cotton with Lycra- to make a lightweight summer jacket. Will use the same pattern as the black corduroy jacket I made last August (pictured).

At the fabric store, there was no stretch pinstripe fabric. Darn. Two seamstresses convinced me this gray/black fabric would look great as a jacket. It's 97% cotton with 3% Lycra like the black corduroy jacket, but lighter weight for summer. The diamonds are small.

I'm such a conservative dresser, this is a stretch for me.

I hope a jacket in this fabric would look good with solid-color pants and shirt. Perhaps with black piping on the lapel.

What do you think?

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good question … though seemingly limited to ‘guy stuff’ 😉 Finally got my tiller back from the shop yesterday - so tilled what should be this summer’s garden!

Transplanted a couple variegated Yucca plants from ‘the property corners’ to pots on the front porch. Damn deer! Spread yards ..and yards of mulch. Found a tree guy happy to discard his grindings at my place … let him know, I’ve now got plenty..

Rolled the lawn, to smash mole tunnels; over east, they don’t make mounds, just ‘lifted tunnels,’ which folks roll over with sand-filled steel rollers … kinda fun.. Removed more sod from around my grape roots, fertilized & mulched. Spread over 100 pounds of ‘triple nineteen’ on various plants. Upterned, cleaned and filled the birdbath - it’s Spring!

Set some rock pavers, leading to a new mailbox stand project. Washed truck, may wax if sufficiently bored.. Taxes done, haircut got, provisions stocked, security measures enhanced.. Several hand-huned, branded & sanded walking sticks ready for their oil finish. Fruit trees pruned & trained. Refreshing some rusty, very rusty cooking skills… And ‘this’ - my least productive activity of all 🙂

Varn Level 8 Mar 20, 2020

I'm sorting out the maple trim on my spiral staircase in order to get it ready so I can install the bamboo flooring on the upstairs landing. After that i have a bunch of marble tiles to install in the upstairs bathroom.

We just moved so still lots to do. Most our stuff is finally where it needs to be either in the house or stored properly, so those projects are winding down.

I installed a lighting control system, changed out the light fixture in the laundry room, installed some motion detectors, ordered new light fixtures to match the new ceiling fan, have finally begun sorting through the vintage audio rebuilds i inherated from a good buddy who passed away (vintage amps for sale soon...by which I mean eventually since I haven't set up the work bench yet), and have started designing my listening room.

Once the backflow preventer has been certified it's on to starting/repairing the irrigation system.

Then after lunch....

1of5 Level 8 Mar 22, 2020

I REALLY need a top to bottom house cleaning post retirement, in order to take it from a kid rearing to a self employed artist household. However, there have been way too many foods to prepare, plants and animals to tend to, and good things on TV...

Zster Level 8 Mar 21, 2020

The garden, and looking after my friend who is housebound anyway.

Have one more box of old magazines to organize, then prepare the desk for the new computer so I can telecommute!

BillF Level 7 Mar 20, 2020

I'm overhauling the drive train on my mountain bike: three new front sprockets, new cassette (nine rear sprockets), new chain, new rear derailer. I previously obtained the parts and was waiting for a rainy day to do the installations. Looks like that day has come. When it rains, it pours.

Jacket looks great. The piping on the lapel would help the lighter color.

Projects: (with supplies on hand) If (BIG IF) I don't get sick. . . .

• Build a new web server (and web site) and submit e-rate grant to upgrade school switches (assuming I have a job when this is over) Aside from being told not to go on campus, we have (teachers) no additional information. - - will likely hold off on the server/website until I find out if our school will re-open.

• Increase number of Ethernet drops in the house - have a few thousand feet of cat 5 and 6 and yesterday installed a wireless router. Would like to the router out of the upstairs office and place it in the middle of the house in the basement next to the theater. Plan to run seven drops.

• Finish sewing a couch cushion then upholster another couch.

• Re - plant grass - (city street snow plow tore up yard again) (corner lot so they often mistake my front yard for the street) and I had an 80' tree removed a few months ago. The trucks tore up the back yard. If I had known I would not be working, would have cut down the tree myself.

• Motorize the black velvet curtains on the sides of the theater screen. The system is a CHI (Constant Height Image) configuration so there are never black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. instead, different aspect movies have more black on the sides of the screen. Movie theaters have curtains that move back to correctly frame the screen to accommodate the aspect ratio. In my case:
    a 4:3 aspect movie will be 9' wide
    a 16:9 movie will be 13.75' wide
    a 21:9 movie will be over 16' wide

• motorize the anamorphic lens sled (lens used to stretch anamorphic movies)

• Clean the garage

• Rebuild the front door and design and build a stained glass insert for the door.

• Configure Radeon VII to work with DaVinci Resolve (major task fighting with drivers on two different flavors of Linux.) I may have to break down and buy Windows for one of the boot drives.

• Learn how to use DaVinci Resolve then build YouTube videos. (will hold off on upgrading to a 4k camera)

• Design and build chimney cap and spark arrester for the four flue chimney. Previous owner added cedar shake shingles so, without spark arresters, I have never run the fireplaces.

• May (alone) watch a movie or two in the theater. I don't like watching movies in the theater alone and I usually don't run the theater in the soon to be warmer season as the electronics put out a lot of heat. Central air works but for every waste watt of head dissipated it takes 2 watts for the air conditioner to move the heat outside so watching movies in the summer takes a lot of coal. In ND most of our energy is coal fired plants.

• Design and build into garage the 5ph compressor and industrial compressor so I don't have to fight with my smaller pumps to blow out the sprinkler systems every fall.

• Many other projects but I greatly doubt I will complete this list.

OR:

I may just clean, organize, and kill time posting on this website.

@NoMagicCookie

Thanks for saying my black corduroy blazer looks great.

"I cannot believe you made it," is the comment I hear the most.

I've found quite a bit more drinking games. jk.
To be honest, My day to day hasn't changed much at all.

I’m playing drinking games, while on hold with Delta airlines🙂

College work and recording what is happening in the world as it is up to us social scientists to make sense of it all for future generations to learn from.

People that sew can make face masks for hospitals.

MizJ Level 8 Mar 20, 2020

watch the sky today during change in the temps took a hike at Tourne cleaned up some trails..studies a topo map for an upcoming extended hike on th NJ frontier..

Looks really nice.
No planned projects. So far, just busy with the small humans and homeschooling.
Never expected to EVER be doing THAT.
Like not ever, not once.

I think it is nice. I love it, like herringbone, with spunk

It will be fine, just be aware of the grainlines.

MizJ Level 8 Mar 20, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:473141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.