Agnostic.com

14 3

Gastric Bypass surgery vs natural weight loss?

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go natural. Start jogging. Join a spa. Give yourself a challenge. Set your goals and you can get anything you want. I've always got what I went after

I like to go for the natural weight loss, but I currently know someone right now that think Bypass will fix everything and it’ll be some type of magical life and don’t understand there is really no shortcuts when it comes to weight loss.

@sarahjustme whose deranged and damaged?

@sarahjustme. Hmmm... I didn't know that.

@BucketlistBob ?

There are never real shortcuts

Nope! Everything comes with a price.

yes you reap what you sew x

A friend of mine who was obese had her stomach stabled years ago. Because she gradually went back to her old eating habits, the result was a disaster. She has all kinds of medical issues as a result. I think the same thing would happen to a person who has gastric bypass surgery but does not change eating habits. Maybe not right away, but eventually it would catch up.

Well said...

I resolved a health issue back in July 2017 which has allowed me to start to lose weight. Add in nutrition/diet changes & exercise, I'm down 40 lbs. Some people I work with who were/are morbidly obese have been getting the surgery & I've been getting a lot of judgmental comments about how I'm losing weight "the right way".

I know a couple of people took the surgery as a lazy way out. The majority got the surgery because health issues caused by excessive weight outweighed the risk of the surgery & they seem to be doing well. I try to encourage them, ask questions on nutritional education, exercise & such & suggest using a lot of the extra benefits we have for health & nutritional counseling, the discounted gym membership, etc. I try to encourage them & offer my support to them.

I think one of the missing components in most failed weight loss endeavours is a truly invested support group helping & encouraging in one's weight loss efforts. I know i would not be doing as well as I am if i did not have the support I do.

I know for a couple of people, their doctor had them go to nutritional counseling & meet with a physical therapist/trainer & they had to lose a certain amount of weight before the doctor would consent to do the surgery. I'm not sure but isn't that the norm?

I did the natural weight loss. I had a bad reaction to a medication 2 years ago, and blew up like a whale. Now I lost over 50 lbs and I feel great.

I know two people who have had it done. With all they have had to go through and the "results" it brings about it's not something I would ever consider doing.

I resolved a health issue back in July 2017 which has allowed me to start to lose weight. Add in nutrition/diet changes & exercise, I'm down 40 lbs. Some people I work with who were/are morbidly obese have been getting the surgery & I've been getting a lot of judgmental comments about how I'm losing weight "the right way".

I know a couple of people took the surgery as a lazy way out. The majority got the surgery because health issues caused by excessive weight outweighed the risk of the surgery & they seem to be doing well. I try to encourage them, ask questions on nutritional education, exercise & such & suggest using a lot of the extra benefits we have for health & nutritional counseling, the discounted gym membership, etc. I try to encourage them & offer my support to them.

I think one of the missing components in most failed weight loss endeavours is a truly invested support group helping & encouraging in one's weight loss efforts. I know i would not be doing as well as I am if i did not have the support I do.

I know for a couple of people, their doctor had them go to nutritional counseling & meet with a physical therapist/trainer & they had to lose a certain amount of weight before the doctor would consent to do the surgery. I'm not sure but isn't that the norm?

Natural as soon as the band is removed the weight will go back on as the causes have not been dealt with just bypassed (no pun intended)

I come from the school where nutirtion is the key to weight loss.

There are two aspect to food. There are nutritious foods and then there are clories. Fodds can have colories without having any real nutirtional value. If you eat foods high in calories but with little or no nutritional value, you will always feel hungry.

Processed foods have most fo the nutrition processed out them, but keep all the calories.

We ecolved so that the body creaves certain kinds fo flavors, which in a hunter gatherer settign woudl help us eat foods with all, or at least most of, the nutrients we need. The tastes or flavors we have evolved to crave are sugar, slat and fat.

In it's natural states foods with those flavors provide us with lots of nutrients. In proessed foods, they artificially make foods withose tastes in processed foods, which have no real nutritional value.

If you ate naturl foods, and got the nutrients you needed, you (mostly likely) woudl not feel hungry all the time, bbecause it is a lack of nutrients, not a lack of calories that regulates your desires for food. You can consume all the high calorie foods you want, and still feel hungry.

When you change from your high clorie low nutrient foods, to a high nutrient diet, it will usualy take at least several months for yoru body to adjust.

you cna stapel the stomach, or have gastric bypass surgeries, but if you still eat high calorie low nutrient foods you will not get any healthier.

Sadly, the best way to lose weight is exercising. I myself exercise whiel istening to audio books, although if I were to ride a bike, I would nto use earphones type devices because I want ot hear traffic aroudn me. Still, for monotonous gym exercises, I listen to audio books whiel exercising.

This surgery is the only hope for uncontrolled eating which cannot be controlled. This operation causes another problem, how to lose large quantities of excess skin. A real problem for too many people.

I had the sleeve gastrctomy surgery. Bypass is different as is duodenal switch or a band. I had it 3 years ago, as did my wife. I have a group on Facebook called Bariatric Group Therepy if you want to discuss this with people that are pre op and post op. I lost 150lbs and kept it off. But the problem you have is rooted in food addiction specifically carbs and sugars.

Losse the wt i know 4 people who just put the wt back on my sister is one and i really fight wt gain 24/7

@emeraldjewel I run a support group for pre-surgery and post-surgery bariatric patients. Probably more of what you are looking for if you want your questions answered.

[facebook.com]

You should understand the fact that such operations can be effective only if there is no way back. Only if your food addiction has reached irreversible proportions. In the meantime, you can work with real professionals in the field of nutrition. Thanks to such professionals, I was able to lose seventeen kilograms. Bethlehem PA Weight Loss Doctors literally saved my life. It seemed to me that because of the problems with being overweight, I would start having big heart problems. That's why I decided to lose weight.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.