Agnostic.com

42 16

Searching for a soulmate is futile. Your thoughts?

The soulmate ideal won't go away. You see it on dating profiles, rom-coms and the Bachelor.

The concept dates back at least to Plato's Symposium (c. 385–370 BC). Zeus, seeking to humble humans, split them in half, forcing us to wander in search of our other half: "So ancient is the desire of one another which is implanted in us, reuniting our original nature, making one of two and healing the state of man."

While romantic, this has done an an awful lot of damage: creating impossible-to-meet expectations, making people think a happy, healthy relationship isn't good enough, and tricking people into holding out for "the one."

Love at first sight? That's lust, hormones and chemicals.

The Science Behind Love at First Sight

"The brain quickly releases hormones and chemicals like dopamine, oxytocin, and adrenaline into your bloodstream, which make you feel extremely happy and excited. You feel like this is the one, and that everything will work out and you’ll be happy together forever. This reaction, actually, is very similar to how drug addiction feels. It’s like you've become addicted to that person in a very short span of time, and now all you want to do is think about them and be with them. "

[culturacolectiva.com]

To love is an action verb. This includes mutual problem-solving, growing together, seeing the good in each other, emotional and physical intimacy, enjoying each other's company, conversation, laughter and fun.

"He's very efficient," a woman I know said, looking at her husband with affection. "And I procrastinate. We used to fight about it all the time, but now we just work around each other."

"He lets me sit there and drink coffee in the morning while he bustles around. When we're on vacation, we spend one day doing what he want to- usually getting up early and driving to every bakery in town- and the next day the way I want to- sleeping in, strolling. But we had to learn that, how to sync up."

Here's my joke about soulmates:

Suddenly I'm running through a flowery field in a long white dress, birds and butterflies fluttering around, magically not tripping, sunlight highlights my hair, violin music swells with arms outstretched and into the arms of... What's that tingling feeling? Ticks.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As the soul does not evidently exist the idea of a soul mate is at best questionable. My girlfreind did not like this response. I told her that there is no great mover and no meant to be. I did recover very quickly by adding that the difference between me and all the other guys was that the rest were just unlucky bastards!

It is rare. I had it once, for seven years. It does exist. It is the real heaven. But again, very, very rare.

For me just meeting people and being curious about who they are is what works. And doing that with someone else also curious about me, every so often I meet someone who I really get and they get me. And you each have a positive impact on each other. It is very special, and what people call it doesnt matter, even if they say soulmate. It could be a friend, partner or mate..Soul mate to me implies there is no work needed like it just happens. To mr relationships require being with someone like it's the last relationship I will ever have. It takes work and diligence not comparing anyone from the past, which is what we do when we make up judgements about people by how they look, think, or are that's different from what we perceive is what we need or want-- never about this new cool person we don't really know yet.
When it seems we know someone forever and they are the one. I am suspect that I amimagining/assuming my wish list on them and stop the magical thinking as they can be far cooler than I think they are.

It happens when you least expect it

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 12, 2020

I can't recall ever believing in soul mates, even as a young teen. Although perhaps I was not a romantic and what I saw around me in terms of "relationships" made me jaded from a young age? hehe! idk. I think there are multiple people out there who we have shared values with and there is that shared attraction and willingness to have open and honest communication with. Whatever the odds are of finding said persons I do not know, but I think our mentality, our health, our life circumstances (ie whether we are in survival mode or thriving mode), and many other variables impact whether we find or date or bond with said compatible people.

Having had several deep connections - each of which lasted for various numbers of years - I've always thought the concept of "soulmates" is lovely fluff ... in poetry and stories.

I'll be more able to answer this after a 40 year marriage..... Which I will never have

twill Level 7 Apr 13, 2020

Real love grows with time, not instantly. And it is hard, because it depends upon finding someone who needs something you have to give, because it is about giving not taking, yet it also needs to be someone you can respect and who has something you value. Finding someone therefore who values what you can give, yet is not needy is difficult.

I was lucky with my wife since we were both looking for companionship, while my current friend and I were both looking for a traveling companion and someone to share life wonders with.

So are you blaming Plato for seeding unattainable expectations?

@Geoffrey51

Of course I don't blame Plato.

Stupid romance novels, media outlets, rom-coms, advertising, Disney, etc. push the fantasy of finding your soulmate.

Fools fall for it.

@LiterateHiker But if Plato hadn’t expounded the idea perhaps there wouldn’t be such disillusionment, such expectations for star-crossed lovers.

Sounds like Plato set the ball rolling for the unattainable relationship and the disastrous outcomes that that entails

@Geoffrey51

Don't be ridiculous. I wrote:

The concept dates back at least to Plato's Symposium."

Human clung to magical thinking before that.

@LiterateHiker But you said

“While romantic, this has done an an awful lot of damage: creating impossible-to-meet expectations,”

Sounds like Plato’s fault to me by following that logic.

@Geoffrey51 The idea is presented by Plato as an old one, dressed up in a silly metaphor introduced by Alcibiades, Socrates ill fated and drunken lover, and Socrates pours cold water on the idea. The idea is presented as an existing one, which needs to be squashed before a better version of love can be described. Therefore it would not be Platos invention perhaps. Though it has to be said that the love presented by socrates as ideal, is a version straight out of a Nineteen Eighty Four style totalitarian nightmare. Never was an admirer of Plato.

@I i was responding to LH’s suggestion that the idea of soul mates was Plato’s fault

I’m not a great fan of Plato either to be honest. A bit of a pest if you ask me!

...off the top of my head.. Yup 😉

Varn Level 8 Apr 12, 2020

@Varn

What do you agree with? You wrote "Yup."

LiterateHiker "Searching for a soulmate is futile."

Sure, they exist. But you don't simply find them. Both has to choose to become the soulmate of the other. And it takes hardwork and sacrifice. It cannot work if both are not willing to sacrifice all their other dreams. A soulmate is made over years, after those sacrifices have been made.

But these days, people simply choose to stop working towards becoming one. They are unwilling to make such a sacrifice. Granted, the sacrifice now is much more costly than in the previous generations because everyone now has a real oppourtunity to accomplish their dreams. And so a different sacrifice is made: pursuit of their dreams, in exchange for their soulmate.
It's a choice made when young, and as we grow, our demands and expectations grow, and now simply finding a partner fitting those increased demands is rare.

If you want to have soulmate now, you need to find someone who has low expectations and is willing to make sacrifices. And that 'someone' is a rare breed these days.

I assume you're being cynical as your description of what it takes to have a soulmate is virtually the destruction of your identity.

It is my experience that the perfect person for you is a person that you grow together with. To think that you will find one person with everything exactly the way you want is against the laws of probability. I always wondered when I was dating and got to the level of marriage, not whether or not we loved each other but whether or not we could live together. It always seems that there was a point where the personality got in the way, at first it was something that added to the experience but then this aspect came to build a wall which could not be tolerated. You either grow together or grow apart, relationships do not seem to just be stable as they do not allow for change in either individual. To many times it seems to be that the relationship does not grow beyond the dating stage, then an person come to show who they really are, One then has to deal with that difference which can be catastrophic.

When one knows what they are searching for, it is hard to find,

whereas I'd love to have a soul mate, I'd settle for someone amicable, companionable, and willing to do their fair share. I am pretty much convinced that person is a chimera and my relationship status is never going to change.

Perhaps you are just afraid that down the track that person is going to hurt you.

@Jolanta define "hurt". Break my heart, no problem, BTDT got the T shirt. Mess up my finances, that would be a disaster. I'm not meeting single men so it really doesn't matter, and I'm very set in my ways and very bossy, so it would take a really brave or foolhardy man to take me on.

@HippieChick58 Gosh you sound just like me. Good on you girl. Besides all that my life is full and I cannot see how I could possibly fit in a needing man.

Perhaps, but you can have some fun in your search. I know I have.

Well I believe starry eyed, young-people love usually has very little shelf life. But I don't have any trouble with "soul-mates" but it isn't a term I use a lot; "kindred spirits" on the other hand is okay with me and any other fan of the Anne of GG's books. I just don't think there is only one or that I need to be intimate with them all. It does help if you share enjoyment in a couple of common pass times. Really, so long as exclusivity is a defining aspect of the kind of intimate relationship you're looking for, then both partners had better find the other's approach pleasing and appetite level compatible. Actually liking your partner is paramount. If you value their feedback and opinion and enjoy sharing your ideas with them, who cares what you call it?

There are variations on the theme. I read a study once that suggested that the "brass ring" everyone seeks in a marriage could be termed a "vital marriage", defined as a marriage with little or no conflict where the relationship itself is the greatest joy of both participants. The study basically said this does happen, but frequency is in the single digits. In other words the odds of anyone in their lifetime experiencing this are extremely poor.

I suppose that a vital marriage might convince you that you've found some sort of "soul mate" but all it really would reflect is that you won the lottery by stumbling onto someone incredibly compatible with you. Or in the alternative it could just mean that you found someone who is weirdly content to entirely defer to your wants and needs. The concept of vital marriage strikes me as suspiciously fantastic -- the notion of a relationship that never expects anything of you that is challenging, counterintuitive or difficult. Is it really possible to never have to negotiate in any substantive way about division of household labor, frequency or style of sex, finances, etc.? I mean the list is pretty much endless. And the concept of "vital marriage" does not account for the possibility of people starting out well but then growing apart. Is a marriage necessarily better or more valid simply because it's effortless? Finally, the very concept is one that pretty much assumes a great deal of privilege. Could a poor couple in a third world country even HAVE a vital marriage when their every waking moment is focused on survival? When more often than not you are hungry or sick or under existential threat?

At the end of the day I think intimate relationships are usually going to have unwanted drama, surprising conflicts, and various disappointments, and if you don't plan for it, you're going to be ejecting people from your life in the mistaken notion that the ordinary vicissitudes of life are signifiers of a bad relationship, causing you to cut and run a the first sign of trouble.

All that said, at my age, I can barely absorb my own sorrows and worries, much less someone else's, and their children's, and their extended family dynamic -- plus hold down a job and get my mind around the state of the world these days. The concept of marriage as something that improves quality of life in the sense that it imparts more to you than it demands of you, is something I can no longer claim to believe in. When it comes to marriage and parenting, I can love my wife and [step]children while at the same time wondering when we're going to start having fun sharing life. My wife for example is at this moment estranged from her daughter and is distraught about it. This colors everything that happens in our household and there are no good solutions. Her asshat daughter has basically guaranteed my home life will be a hellscape for weeks if not months if only because I'm deeply worried about my wife's welfare, and oh yeah, the cat is scheduled for euthanasia in a couple of weeks, THAT should help! I have to confess there are times that the notion of living alone, by my own lights, with my own problems, seems like bliss. Would probably be the loneliest AND best years of my life at the rate things have gone.

So no I don't believe in "soul mates" and am so far down the road from such concepts as to find them absurd. Life happens, and it cares not for our ideals.

By the way LH, I see you're in Wenatchee. It has long been on my wish list to explore the Ohme garden. Ever been?

@MarkWD

I have been to several weddings and outdoor awards ceremonies at Ohme Gardens.

The trouble is, you can drive up to it. Ohme Gardens is too crowded and uninspiring to me since I hike in beautiful places. The wildflowers are lovely in Spring.

The history of Ohme Gardens is amazing.

[ohmegardens.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:483809
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.