Agnostic.com

15 1

Forest for the trees

Does anyone in this agnostic/ atheistic community feel like having such views allows or enables themselves to view humanity and/ or the world in a larger more gestalt perspective? More so than most?

Uncas 4 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it does liftsome road blocks I used to have in Catholism, so I guess in an secondary way.

I think that it does. I would also think that believers would have the same tendency to think that their perspective would allow a "larger" view.

Yes always been a Humanist.

the universe never cese to amaze me with its wonder

Rosh Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

Not really, it is my experience that gestalt phenomena do not last, they quickly devolve in to an -cracy of one kind or another at best, or in to a cult of popularity at worst, in either case ceasing to be a true gestalt where the whole is greater than the sum of participating parts and instead becomes a collective conformity under the insistent or forceful guidance of a small cabal for the furtherance of their own objectives and a lie of the collective good.

I value my individuality too much for that.

No.

Yes, since childhood. I could see where others left off, or stopped thinking, and still do.. I think they find comfort within boundaries; I’d rather know what’s out there...

Self-imposed ignorance robs you of a large chunk of life. We appear to exist on a higher plane, perhaps the danger of falling is greater, but the view is spectacular!

Varn Level 8 Apr 2, 2018

No not really - everyone ot nme seems so individualistic that I am constantly amazed at how different we all are

There's a question that floats around some surveys that asks something along the lines of this (but not exactly, I can't remember it):

Do you consider yourself a member of:

1. your community
  2. your town/city
  3. your country
  4. planet Earth

It was something like that. The point of it was to see how broad your sense of affiliation with other people was. Is this what you're asking? Does my lack of belief broaden my solidarity with my fellow humans?

I don't think it was my lack of belief in god. What opened my eyes was living overseas for several years (when I was active duty military). I had come from a small town with a homogenous white/Christian population and living in other cultures really reshaped my worldview.

#4 is the only one I ever remember feeling a part of

That helped me too when I was in the military. I'm also a member of #4 planet earth. The rest don't interest me much. My only interest in my country right now is to hope that we do not lose it.

I was born into nonbelief, so have nothing to compare it to. I always think what gives me a 'larger perspective' on the world is being part of a minority group.

An insider turned outsider understands both sides -- to the chagrin and fear of remaining insiders.

Gestalt: an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts. I find your question perplexing, is there a way for you to rephrase in more simple terms? (Forest for trees sounds like an oxymoron.)
Bewildred,
ME

Nena Level 6 Apr 2, 2018

Indeed for sure, my eyes are wide open even when I blink

I have wondered if being able to see the bigger picture is what led to my atheism, or if my atheism led to me being able to see the bigger picture. The former, I think.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 2, 2018

Probably.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.