Agnostic.com

3 2

Isn't it time that we started taxing the churches, synagogues and mosques, etc.? They are all businesses and anyone with half a brain can see that, so why aren't they paying their way? Surely we have progressed as a species and as a civilization that these dark age hucksters and scammers should at the very least lose their tax exempt status, preferably along with be subjected to the same standards of business practices as the rest of us.

Surfpirate 9 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Churches are non-profits and really there is nothing to tax in the way of income. They could pay local property taxes. All it would take is the will of the people to impose property taxes. It appears that the public does not want to tax churches and that would be in line with not taxing other non-profits such as the Food Bank, YMCA, credit unions, etc.

What ARE taxed are the salaries paid to Church employees.This should be strictly enforced.

[churchlawandtax.com]

Money taken in by churches should be strictly accounted for, and whatever money is not needed for operations should be either donated to charitable causes or returned to the donors in my opinion.

The only non-profits I can think of with corporate jets, mega churches, palatial estates and gold coated offices.

@Surfpirate Those mega-church things need regulation. They shouldn’t be permitted unlimited write-offs.

I guess I’m thinking mainly in terms of the small-scale churches in my area. Very few of them are very wealthy.

Long PAST time to be paying taxes!!!

Down here, in the US.. the churches have been left alone so as to ‘maintain the separation’ between them and the State. Obviously - that’s long gone -- so I say Tax their Hell out of em!

Varn Level 8 Apr 15, 2020
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.