Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK How World War II Almost Broke American Politics - POLITICO Magazine

A reminder of some uncomfortable truths about this nation leading up to the war. In many sentences, you could replace the proper noun names with names from today's headlines, and the storyline would be the same. Yet:

https:// Surveys found that citizens bought war bonds and volunteered for military service out of a vague but very clear sense of patriotism, duty to their communities and to the soldiers and sailors who hailed from those communities and a sense of moral purpose that may not have found easy reference in a political document. At the same time, surveys also showed that Americans believed they were fighting for a better standard of living in the postwar period—for the promise of homes, jobs and an end to Depression-era scarcity and wartime rationing. The motives that drove ordinary people were both high-minded and parochial. It wasn't either/or.com//

HippieChick58 9 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They description of the divisions in America reminded me of my childhood.I came from a family with many prejudices and remember listening to them and as a small child in the forties. I was fortunate to be exposed to real life that contradicted what my relatives said and never adopted those prejudices.

Interesting article.

The economic inequality is the same as back then, it is what many elected officials have been working towards for over 40 years. I also think there were less morally bankrupt elected officials, I could be wrong.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:486288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.