Agnostic.com

11 0

How could you prevent your child from becoming brainwashed by religion?

I know this may sound like an odd question, but I'm serious. I'm surrounded by very religious people and my fiancé is one of them and he wants to teach Christianity to our child. I'm so caught up and do not want her to become brainwashed by this religion because I don't want to see her waste her life on something that hasn't been proven true, but only offers empty threats if one don't believe when she can be living a healthy, full life without the baggage of religion. Shall I set her down one day when it is just she and I and teach her how to use her critical thinking skills and to question everything? Right now she's still very young, but there will become a day where people try to impose Christianity on her. I don't like Christianity. I think it is disgusting and I would like to know how I can attempt to protect her from this blood cult belief.

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Teach your kids at an early stage that it's okay to think differently than other people. There are a lot of accepted organizations (religions, Disney, etc.) that children 'go along with'. It should be okay if a girl doesn't want to join the Girl Scouts, or if a boy doesn't want to be a Little League baseball player. They shouldn't feel compelled to do anything just because others expect it of them...And when they make a decision, the parents should be supportive of that choice...

raise her in a box. Just let your fiance know that your child will hear, not only his side of the religion coin, but also your own. If he can not accept this, then you have legal grounds to keep him away from the child. As soon as he mentions Hell, you have grounds for emotional abuse. BTW, If you find christianity disgusting, then your chances of staying with this guy are very slim anyway because it is something about him that you find disgusting. Best of Luck

I then already moved on. And the greats of hell I’d absolutely disgusting!

In the case of my son, he was sent to Sunday school (over my ineffectual objections), hated it, and became an atheist. Worth a try, but it might backfire.

You can’t. You can try as they grow up to give them reasons to question things, but in the end they will pick.

Tell them the truth. Teach them science.

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”

• Margaret Mead

Kids are smart. I taught mine about religion, it’s role in world history and how it affects people’s disposition. She understands why religious act the way they do, is a better person for it.

Marz Level 7 Nov 23, 2017

Teaching critical thinking skills is inportant so she is able to formulate her own belief system as she matures rather than recklessly jumping in to the belief system of what ever charasmatic religious figure happens to blow in with the wind.

Teach critical skills from day one.
Why would you ever marry someone with such a widely different view on life?

Sadly he didn't turn all into religion until afterwards, and we're not married. I decided not to do that.

Be honest and encourage critical thinking.

If it is important to you that your child be raised with independence of thought, you will have to do several things. First, you will have to model such independence. Second, you must always tell your child that he or she has choices as to what to believe and not everything he or she is told is true Third, you will have to trust your child.

I made it clear to my daughters what I believe, but I also told them that whether or not they chose to believe in any religion was up to them. Both of them did sometimes attend church with friends. Today both are agnostics or atheists, as are their children.

If it is important to you, and if you fiancée would not allow this to occur, perhaps you need to think about your relationship again.

A very excellent answer! My kids have religious relatives and nonreligious. They get to hear why each belives/doesn't believe as they do, but are not pressured by any one view. Their journey will be theirs to make. I also model/assure them that such matters are not cast in stone. Some of us have meandered through many beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.