Agnostic.com

27 0

Is the concept of a personal God needed in some individuals?

#god
SalC 6 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The evidence is clear: some people feel the need for a personal god. Other members have posted below their ideas for the reasons why.

Speaking for myself, I find the concept of the God of the Bible to be absurd, and the idea that said god could be my personal god to be quite ludicrous.

I prefer the concept of a "bobblehead" on my car dsshboard.

I think people are raised to think they need a personal god.

Clearly does. There are probably all sorts of psyche issues why that would be; father issues for example.

Not merely a personal God, but one who will watch over us and take care of us. This need, it seems to me, is prompted by our desire to feel safe and secure, perhaps as we once did when we were young, and were protected by grown ups. By and large, humans seem to have a 'big person' fetish, which we satisfy with fanciful legends and myths.

Agreed... To the believers God is indeed their imaginary friend...

I don't think that it's needed, no. What, after all, would it be needed for? Since anything that God(s) are credited with providing is actually coming from another source anyway (whether physical or psychological,) nothing is lost by deleting them.

And can someone please explain to me what a "personal" God is (as opposed to a plain old god)? Why the adjective?

Perhaps a personal God is created by those who desire an overlord but do not like the candidates created by the religious leaders. You know, like creating your own hooch because the one in the supermarket is not to your taste. 😁

@JohnnyQB This is a good answer from our point of view, but it doesn't explain why the religious themselves would use the term. Most would deny that they create gods in their own images.

(Unless you are proposing that, despite their protestations, deep down they know this to be true? And this knowledge bubbles up in the choice of words?)

Need a personal God?? The voices in my head tell me "no." 😉

Take a poll of all 330 million americans and find out.

According to biologist, John Wathey, humans are biologically predisposed to experiencing the presence of a god because of a neonatal instinct that helps babies imagine a parent is near, even when they are out of sight. Without this instinct neonates would not survive. Then when we grow up we still feel that loving presence (most of us) and we just call it god. It’s biological. Not going away.

skado Level 9 Apr 28, 2020

Yes, but no. There have been some cultures of millions of people that had no god/spirit concept until they had contact with cultures that did. So it is NOT necessarily true that people are predisposed to experiencing god. There may be an inclination once the idea is plantes but not until then or the cultures could not have existed without god concepts.

@DavidLaDeau
So who planted the idea first?

@skado It may have been many who's. We simply don't know. What we do know is that in many but not in all places in the world people came up with the abstract concept of gods. My friend called me out on this subject and it cost me six months of intensive study. We are born without a god concept. We are not born atheist specifically. The theist concept must first be introduced for us NOT to believe in it. Then we can become atheist. Thank you, DenoPenno!

@DavidLaDeau
I see. Well I think I’ll stick with the science for now.

@HydroDillema
I think it’s definitely more complex than people just being weak or stupid, as so many folks here seem to believe. And there’s still a lot even science doesn’t know yet.

@skado Good play!

As a semi-retired Psychologist I'd say that there are those who 'believe' they need a personal God figure simply because they lack what it takes to be strong enough to stand up as human beings, accept responsibility, etc, for their own acts, etc, are unable or unwilling as the case may be, to call upon their inner self and inherent morals, etc, to be the human beings we all evolved to be.
So, YES, they do THINK that they desperately need this ' psychological crutch ' that they refer as God.

Yep, the need is artificial. I was once hyper religious due probably some propencities of my mind, but mostly due to indoctrination. I was mentally ill until I discovered that my god could not exist. Then there were many years of healing from my imaginary god.

Silly question. Of course some people need religion. Not me.

As the concept of a god (without testable supporting evidence) (no foundation in reality) who is is there to spank, (Ok. burn us forever after we die in hell) LOL! us or hold our hands and make us feel good, I find it disconcerting to believe any rational adult would submit to the invisible sky daddy superstition.

"..Is it needed in some individuals?" For some, indoctrinated in their youth, their brain functions have been damaged to prevent them form processing the difference between discerning facts from fiction. I honestly pity these people and equate their condition to a vile drug addiction. Via bad programming, they have developed pathways in their brains that prevent them living a healthy skeptical (able to evaluate truth over baseless assertions) reality based life.

Do I feel some individuals, without the poison of faith (accepting as facts things that can not be demonstrated) asserted over reality dysfunction need religion? Sadly, yes. I know a few people who were born with not correctly functioning brains. I think without the indoctrination disease, those number would represent a tiny fraction of our society.

@HydroDillema There was a question about where I found the information demonstrating how religion causes brain damage. Although not the original article I read, here is a link describing the study. [salon.com]

I think that every god is a personal god as it is created in one's brain and imagination and it makes that individual their own personal god. In fact it makes that individual god itself and you can't get more personal than that.

Obviously.

g

When Einstein was asked point blank if he believed in god, he responded that he did not believe in a personal god that entered the lives of man.

I would say no, but of course people who might disagree, either because they themselves feel that need or because they just think others do, would disagree. I believe that the idea of a 'God' itsself is evolutionary! It's that crazy! Human beings, in their subconscious mind, are used to the idea that everything has to come from 'something'! Meaning: you came out of relationship of your mom and dad, animals, plants,,,, all do have something that caused or contributed to their existence, so the 'need' for a God is just reasonal. And when you think about that you discover that even those theists-idea's are related to the sceince of evolution! We can be good(the good known for us in 2020) without 'God(s)'! Religions and ideologies have done more damage to humanity than the good they stole from universal values!

Well said

Perhaps it was Voltaire who rejected atheism because he worried that too many people in the population would behave much worse if they weren't fearful of a hell?

The threat of immoral or unethical acts committed by unbelievers must be balanced against the damage religion does to each person. As fewer people identify with established religion, we should soon see if this leads to a corresponding increase in immoral/unethical behavior. This shift toward agnosticism has been seen in other countries, so the answer is probably out there.

That would depend on the religious household you came from. And also the dicisions you make as you get older,that's off course if you're aware of this reality and what it can offer you. All God concepts are indoctranated into people from young by their parents and by their parents parents and their parents parents and so on and so on. The Question here is how do you break that line and leave room open for teaching good moral values for all mankind to kids without the Religious Dogma /God concept included.

No. They would be better off without such nonsense.

@LetzGetReal Bring them around to sanity, rather than add more insanity to their confusion.

Interesting question.
Do people believe in religion because they are raised in the group, don't challenge and just accept?
Or do they experience some form of epiphany?
Or could it be a mixture of all of the above and a couple more?
Personally I don't try to destroy people's beliefs, I love to have a conversation and argue, but ultimately accept that they have their beliefs and I have mine. I'm not better, mnor are they, we're just different. Apparently, according to my friends, I'm really different, but that's just their belief 🙂

After listening to some of those crazy Aussie creationists (forget their names), I think they need something like a personal god to remain moral. Their words, not mine.

nope not needed, it is a choice to learn religion, albeit that many are forced by parents, they still can make a choice at some point. Then societal pressure to conform can also be changed. Then violence becomes necessary by the religious groups to maintain and control their subjects.
The desire to control has to remove equality in order to work for them.
Not needed.

If you are that morally and ethically corrupted!!!

I know some people say that as they believe that the world or many people are not ready for atheism. However, even if that's true should we wait decades or even centuries for society for catch up? I fully support people's freedom to believe in whatever they want to believe. Religious liberty is essential to a healthy civilization. But I don't like the "we're too stupid to grow out of this" argument. As it condemns us to being animals. Why do anything in life then? Why learn more if we're just so basic and we can't think beyond the beliefs of our ancestors.

Word Level 8 Apr 29, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.