Agnostic.com

37 4

Who else is spring cleaning?

I've been cleaning out the closet. It's been long overdue! I'm finding so many random things I don't know what to do with. I'm divorced and have no idea, do I keep things from our relationship as a keepsake, or toss it? Pictures of old times. I love and hate spring cleaning. How do you decide whether to keep, toss or donate/sell?

valerina 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have much space so keeping loads of crud isn't really an option. But photos from my marriage are in a box, the girls might like them and as I tell my daughter it wasn't all crap, well not at the start anyway. As for clothes, if it hasn't been worn in a year it gets tossed, either out or to a charity shop. Music stays, can't throw that out. 🙂

I don't have much space so keeping loads of crud isn't really an option. But photos from my marriage are in a box, the girls might like them and as I tell my daughter it wasn't all crap, well not at the start anyway. As for clothes, if it hasn't been worn in a year it gets tossed, either out or to a charity shop. Music stays, can throw that out. 🙂

I am but it's more like I'm wanting to sell the house so all this has to go! I'm only taking one small trailer with me and that is probably including my mini horse. Some things are really hard to sell!

It is Autumn in Australia, but, yes I am doing a seasonal clean, just finished. About 5 years ago I downsized dramatically, yes, there are things I often wish I still had.

For me "spring cleaning" consists of collecting from the yard: multiple bags of lawn clippings and gravel from the street/church's parking left in snowbanks on my yard to melt - forming piles of salty sand, uncovering roses packed in leaves so they don't freeze. Then changing a dozen storm windows into screens, sweeping the patios, hanging laundry on the line and opening up the house to get fresh air in but there is still snow on the ground and I haven't shoveled my backyard sidewalk to the clothesline. Also, the current temperature is 25F.

If Spring cleaning is purging unwanted, or no longer needed items. I have a about a dozen hobbies that include fine and rough carpentry, stained glass, electronics, optics, mechanics, home theater, etc. etc. As a result of all these hobbies I often re-purpose things: for example in my theater, the largest sub-woofer (the size of a washing machine) includes 2" thick wood laminate wood harvested from a no longer needed conference table, Sadly the double garage only has room for one car as it is filled with tools and wood. All ten closets are filled to capacity and one of my four extra bedrooms (converted into an office/computer room) has become cluttered with paperwork and electronics. I really need to "spring clean" as no single person needs two motorcycles, two cars, two snowblowers, a half dozen computers etc. and yes, I give away a lot of stuff away.

All it takes is for you to start somewhere. I've been selling things like chairs and dressers. I'm sure you could do well doing that. Good luck with that!

If your not sure keep it. Once it's gone, that's it.

Trying but with roommates and their stuff running out of space in my house to store stuff. Have three sizes in my closet - 8 to 12 -currently in the middle. Had a drastic 50 lb weight loss when I was sick -could happen again - afraid to give anything away.

This is one of my dilemmas as well. Lost weight recently, getting rid of bigger clothes worries me that I may need them again. Sucks! I am like you with a wide range of sizes in my closet. Congrats on your weight loss, sorry you did it while you were sick though.

I lost too much weight because I couldn't keep anything down -doctors made me gain 20 lbs to be healthy again. When they had me on steroids I gained weight-never again.

@sassygirl3869 oh wow! Hope all is better now.

@sassygirl3869 Yeah, I've been having trouble eating myself, and lost a lot of weight this past year.

Finished spring cleaning last week. Everything moved and vacumed under and behind. Rugs shaken, floors mopped, windows washed (except outside, still cold). I decluttered a few years ago, live simply, live well. Similar to Japanese cultural tradition, shoes off at the door in my house which really helps keeping the outside out. Most of the dirt inside is cat hair, lol.

I'm trying to declutter now. Going through boxes and downsizing them. Selling big items, giving me more space. I aspire to live simply!

I got rid of most everything that my ex wife and I shared or that she got me. I don't even think I have any pictures anymore. It's bad enough I still have to see her every once in a while because of the kids. It hurts too much to be around her. As for cleaning in general, I'm slow with it. I finally just blew all the dust out of my computer and did a general wipe down of the rest of my apartment. Haven't stumbled upon anything I would want to get rid of yet. But who knows.

...seems I’m always cleaning.. Once, an at-home-dad, the same thing. Though now, first time living alone, things have a wonderful way of staying clean/er 🙂

As far as sorting memories ..that was much harder… As for my former wife, her stuff went with her. Though it was painful trashing two large ‘photo murals’ we had of our early days … but no future mate would likely appreciate them, and occasionally being brought to tears seemed pointless, to me.

As for my daughters’ stuff, saved as much as I could carry…

Varn Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

You're so right! Good points!

I tend to nothing on a schedule. Spring cleaning makes as much sense as New Years resolutions. Why does it have to be spring, when there are so many much more fun things to do? The warmer weather is great for going hiking, playing outside, motorcycle or bicycle rides, visiting friends and any number of things much more fun than tortureing yourself about what to throw out, what to keep, cleaning every speck of dust, given that with spring pollen, most of it will be back with a vengence within a few days anyway. If you have to pick a season to clean, do it in the winter when you are stuck inside anyway on cold dreary days.

Good idea. After work I will tackle my closet. I don't have a lot of stuff in there, from downsizing when I moved. I did throw some stuff on the bottom of it though. Bags and blankets. It will be time to toss out my ex's huge stuffed hippo gift from my birthday with him. It has memories, but I don't need a giant hippo anymore. Thanks for the reminder on Spring cleaning.

You don't need a giant hippo any more ?- yeah I suppose you wouldn't but sad for the hippo don't let her read this post , hope she's going to a good home!

@jacpod I think someone who likes hippos took it. Good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49057
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.