Agnostic.com

9 2

How do you rationalize the paranormal?

So, I've been working this part time job for over 4 years now and during that time I have seen some unbelievable things.

The building I work in is a medical facility on the bad side of town. I'm an armed guard there on the weekends by myself. At first, I would hear thumps, knocks and such, but I chalked that up to normal noises from the building, which some of them were. I decided to humor myself one day when I kept hearing this knocking coming from the second floor. I did the old "Shave and a Haircut" to see what would happen. On the first try I got a response, and it was much closer to my position. I tried it over and over again to see if it could be debunked, but every time I would get a response, on cue. Since that day, I have seen and heard several unbelievable things. Shadow figures, white figures, light anomalies, moving objects, voices, singing and sound manipulation. I could only debunk 2 or 3 of the incidents.

With my being as stubborn as I am about these sort of things, I still wasn't 100% convinced. Until the day I saw my first shadow figure, face to face. I was sitting at my desk and I kept getting the feeling of being watched. I tried to ignore the feeling, but it was like someone or something was wanting me to look over to my right. I did so slowly and about half way of my head turning, I saw the shoulder and head of this dark shadow thing peeking around the corner at me. I finished turning my head, thinking it would dissipate, but it didn't. There it was, in plain view and about 30 maybe 40 feet away. I just sat there frozen stiff, starring at this thing. I don't know how long I was starring at it before it receded back around the corner and out of sight, but it felt like an eternity.

I still don't know what to think about all of it. I've been there for over 4 years now, so I guess I'm kind of use to it

Have any of you had any experience(s) with such things?

How do you rationalize or make sense of it yourself?

Automaton73 4 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never experienced anything like it, but I believe you.
It just confirms to me the atheistic no-to-everything-not-absolutely-provable is just a sterile, non-productive reaction to the legitimately abusive overreaches of organized religion
Any time one ideology or religion or point of view tries to shoehorn every round peg into every square hole you'll end up with the same pile of splinters.

Your mind is playing tricks on you.. Tell it to stop..

You can't they are paranormal

Take some videos. I’d be interested in seeing them. Have other people seen these ghosts? Get some corroboration.

Consider writing a book.

Paranormal events are not supernatural but just out of the ordinary. We should keep an open mind. No rationalization is necessary.

I do not accept the existence of "the paranormal". Every one of us lives in the natural world, and to claim that there are things are outside the natural world is absurd: if such things exist then they are be definition part of the natural world. To proclaim the existence of the paranormal is a guarantee of the existence of the corresponding mental midget.

To be paranormal is just to be outside the ordinary, not to be outside of nature. I agree that nothing is outside nature if you define nature as all that there is.

There are definitely aspects of nature that are mysterious and that are not understood by the human mind. Nature in its whole will never be understood by the human mind, but some parts might become better understood later. Ball lightning, for example, was once labeled as paranormal.

Wow.
Such an intelligent answer.
Did you think that up yourself?

@Storm1752 No. All accusations that I am capable of thinking are entirely bogus.

Paranormal is to supernatural as intelligent design is to creationism.
Just an attempt to make nonsense sound like pseudoscience

We call things not understood by the human rational mind, 'paranormal', so that by definition they can not be understood by the rational mind. So like Sakdo you just label them unknown, or unexplained.

Ever seen Casper the friendly ghost cartoon, or maybe another 1980's something cartoon I am thinking of? It has been a while for me but there are those bad ghost in the cartoons. These bad ghost would be like pranksters and such as best I could remember.

Just reading your story there is no other corroborating evidence to substantiate your experiences. This type of story to someone that has never experienced such a thing would think you are crazy and would strongly recomend psychological help.

However, IF your story were really true and you were dealing with a relatively smart ghost entity playing sorts of tricks and pranks with you then it might be the ghosts are doing things in such a manner just to make you look as if you are crazy to people that have not had such experiences especially since you have no means of verifiable evidence to this activity.

Word Level 8 May 1, 2020

There are lots of ways our minds can play tricks on us. If I don't know what's going on, I just acknowledge that I don't know and try to leave it at that.

skado Level 9 May 1, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491127
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.