Agnostic.com

5 1

I've lived in Europe and North and South America. About 1/2 my life in various states in the Western United States, but also in the Mid-west, the South and now New England. And . . . there are lots of exceptions - but they just prove the rule. This map really does fit as a rough average. Do some Googling around on opinion polls from different sources regarding the most and least friendly areas of the United States. They line up remarkably well with population density. What do you think? (Don't get mad/defensive if you live in the North East, so do I!)

Observer-Effect 7 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have found that people in smaller towns appear to be warmer and more polite for the most part than people in large urban areas where people appear to be more distant and less given to being polite. That said I have also found the small town kindness and warmth to be more of a veneer, that small areas tend to be more tribal and people keep track of who's who and who did what to who, often going back several generations. In that regards I find cities to be more comfortable in so far as you know where you stand, business is business and nobody cares how many generations you have buried in the graveyard.

Iโ€™ve never lived in a small town. A college roommate grew up in one and said almost exactly what you said. (Did you go to the Univ. of Florida?)

@yvilletom I studied in Canada where I am from, U of Guelph and U of Western Ontario.

Canโ€™t help noticing the three strongest traits in that dreaded, nasty old Bible Belt are... Polite, Easy-going, and Kind. Damn them Biblers!

skado Level 9 May 2, 2020

They that way because of the Bible?

@Observer-Effect nah. Itโ€™s a cultural think. Most of us are raised to be polite โ€˜in companyโ€™. Now in private, we can go from nice to psycho in 0.4 seconds. But outsiders donโ€™t see that!

@Observer-Effect
Hard to say. Maybe in spite of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am a Southerner, GRITS(Girl Raised In The South). Iโ€™m a North Carolina native...yes, we move and talk slower, often have a more relaxed way of life. But. BUT. We can tell a person to go to hell, and not only wonโ€™t he realize it, heโ€™ll look forward to the trip.
Weโ€™re those thorny roses, lol.
Iโ€™ve traveled as far north as upper NY state. The rudest people I have encountered were from CT. Going west.. Chicago, and Salt Lake City. Florida and GA, ok. I wouldnโ€™t spit on SC, lol.

Yeah, MA and CT are considered the root of extreme rudeness by many VT/NH/MA and northern NY residents. "Massholes" is a common casual conversation term around the area.

I found the people in "small town" California, Arizona and Nevada to be very welcoming.

I think it would be helpful if you listed your source(s).

Well fearless. Tell me which sources you would like? The primary source is personal experience, as was mentioned. Source = Me. Then the admittedly simplistic map says "YouGov" right in its corner. The population map? You don't need help with that, there are thousands of those at your fingertips.

Polls "proving" the attitudes of people around the USA? Clearly a pretty subjective thing to try to prove. But as a generality, talk to folks - ask. Its really predictable that people who have spent their lives traveling around the United States agree on the the balance of personal warmth levels in regions around America. Here's an old one from Business Insider, but there are tons out there.

This is just a socialized habit, not such a weird far fetched thing. And not a measure of personal "goodness" or anything. I lived on the border of France and Germany for years, and talk about two very different culture moods encountered in just a walk between them!

@Observer-Effect Ok, I missed the "YouGov". I never ask for "proof". I typically "chastise" those who do. Evidence can be convincing, but I think (apart from math) it is fallacious to think proof exists.

@FearlessFly And - looking at your profile. I see proof of a nice commonality. We have a music room with Banjo's, Mandolins, Bass, Guitars and more . . . and we love Bluegrass too! One of the crappiest things about this quarentine is not getting to attend or have jams. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

@Observer-Effect I have been a "strings" person since Elementary School. I have finally started learning the piano -- tablature is NOT 'reading' music. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜›

@FearlessFly Yeah, quite true. I've been playing piano for 30+ years, and am very good at what I do on it -- but I don't read! I was never trying to imitate or play along with anybody, I was just plinking around finding what sounded good together. And after 30 years I'm good at what I play, but not being able to read music at all exposes me to some pretty serious snobbery about it if it comes up. So pretty much I only play for myself.

I'll play strings with other folks, because even though I'm not nearly as good at them as piano - I can keep up with the tablature at least.

@Observer-Effect I know what you mean, I havent travel
led extensively but notice group temperaments of places I have lived or stayed a month. I am more easy going than most, but lived most of my.life in South Florida; Miami and the Keys. so don't worry be happy is my usual MO

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.