Agnostic.com

47 8

Do you push yourself to do things that scare you?

I'm not a dare devil by any means, but I'm learning to embrace my fear. This is probably my greatest challenge. How about you?

silvereyes 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually yeah, I don't like being scared, so I try to challenge fears. I was scared of heights so I took up climbing, for example 🙂

I am constantly pushing myself to do things that scare me. Otherwise I might never leave the house. Ok, it's not that bad 🙂 but I did go to a concert by myself last year (Arlo Guthrie) and that was pretty major even though it was local.

All the damned time. I have a simple equation - I knock on doors and ask questions. What's the worst that can happen? I get told no. What's the best that can happen? I get told yes. If you can truly own that fearlessness, then you can try anything. It may not work, but it's the effort that counts, in my opinion.

Not enough any more. but that said, I just joined a workshop for vocal empowerment. it's called power in the voice, & facilitated by our choir master. I will have to be singing solo on stage towards the finale in eight weeks. very exciting!

Fearless and my daughter is too.

Fear is a matter of the unknown, until it better known. When you add love, work and time.

The only way to overcome fear is to embrace fear. Sometimes when I think about how fear dictates the collective mind... Its very unnerving the way people manipulate fear through communication, expression, body language... Its like an eery dream that repeats itself over and over again subtley throughout many lifetimes. You relive it if you don't embrace it and overcome it.

Sometimes. However, I’ve learned consequences are more impactful upon the ones I love.

Not much really scares me, but I try to force myself to step out of my comfort zone often.

Sometimes usually lately facing my fears has meant dealing with my past and letting it go.

Jumped out an airplane with a parachute twice. Doing stuff like that really clarifies how cool it is to be alive - becuase you can be gone pretty easy - like falling out of an airplane.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

I don't want to sound like some posturing, preening male, but if I have any signigicant fears, I'm not aware of them / don't experience them that way. That is largely a function of already having experienced all the major worst-case scenarios in life, short of death. As they say -- beware the man who has nothing to lose.

I have dislikes, and I do push into those discomfort zones where it makes sense (where my dislikes are limiting to me or mine in some way). That's usually when I'm avoidant of something for self-defeating reasons, such as avoiding needed exercise or dietary changes or communicating about something I don't like to discuss or communicating usefully when I'm more naturally prone to just be irascible.

Yes. I've found that I am indecisive when it comes to involving others, such as a book discussion. SO, I will attempt to start a group on this website, be the moderator and see what happens. (This may not seem scary to most, but it is for me. I am my own worst critic.)

I have in the past, it didn't help, so now I am happy to accept my phobias.

More and more these days. I've probably taken on more new things within the last year or so than I've done in most of my life.

Generally yes although many times I find that I've done something without thinking it through enough and THEN find myself in a scary situation. Don't do that as often now that I've kinda got half a clue. 🙂

Not so much scary but outside of my comfort zone. Just enough to keep my brain changing and growing. Right now I'm taking voice and guitar lessons :0

I have always heard this at least from the people that are very brave say. If someone tells you they are not afraid they have a fool for an advisor

Yes I usually do.. life is too short to waste time being afraid

My wife just celebrated her 79 birthday and my daughters got us a hot air balloon ride. We are checking off our bucket list.

waiting for better weather

Yes I have done that. Being interested in all aspects of flight and also participating in flying in all it's usual forms, I became interested in paragliding at the age of about 65. although I was very scared of this form of flying, I forced myself to continue to participate......stepping off cliff tops terrified me to the extent that I took anti anxiety tablets [ benzodiazapine ] before every flight. I stood it for three years until one day I swung so much sideways that I feared falling into my own canopy.This caused me to gave it up and finally admitting to myself that I really was being quite .rediculous.....

That depends on what type of fear it is. Sometimes fear comes from self-preservation. So that kind of fear, no, I don't push myself thru it. Adventure or new things kind of fear...Sometimes I do push thru it if I the want/desire outweighs the fear. Good luck & be safe❣??

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

I seek things that scare my religious parents. I called them to inform them that I was going skydiving as I was driving to the location. Weeeeeee!

I don't have to - those things seem to seek me out!

Jnei Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

On my motorbike, you bet and in normal life with panic/anxiety attacks or id be indoors all the time.

My greatest fear used to be spiders. I taught myself not to be afraid of spiders. In fact, last night there was this poor spider about the size of a quarter stumbling around on my bed...I picked him up and put him somewhere safer. As for an action that is frightening, if you learn what fear is...it is exhilerating...like standing across from another 250+ behemoth who wants to take your head off...and knows how to take your head off...fear can become addictive at that point (I had never been so depressed and disappointed as when I found out I had a medical issue which was going to prevent me to fight). And with that, I leave you this: fear incarnate:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.