Agnostic.com

47 8

Do you push yourself to do things that scare you?

I'm not a dare devil by any means, but I'm learning to embrace my fear. This is probably my greatest challenge. How about you?

silvereyes 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes,Because if I feel somebody else can do it I can do it also

dc65 Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Yes... but now I'm afraid of heights. I don't get it. From flying planes and gyrocopters to fearing heights. What happened to me?

Fear of heights and being in something that permits flight - seems to cause a
disconnect in fear.

I hate heights. I'm fine in a plane. Never occurred to me that the height would bother me. And it never did? I'm that person with my nose up against the window.

Weird huh?

that is odd

I saw a video long time ago about airline pilots who were afraid to fly as a passenger but not afraid to fly a plane. It came down to their fear of not being in control, I don't think that would be you. Just some more useless knowledge I have acquired from being an introvert. I can't help myself....lol

@buzz13 yeah... I have to have control of the thing I'm in... that's me.

Mostly always !

I don't push very hard

I have pushed myself by mountain climbing, white water canoeing and rafting, and waterfall rappeling since my early teens. I want to try ballooning, maybe even parachute jump with instructor.

Oh yeah.... I have been pretty bad at small talk in social environment like a bar for instance. I can write like crazy and my brain tag along with me with ease but, when it comes down to start a conversation with a girl then my brain takes unannounced vacation and I just don't know what to say !! That lead me to fear of rejection but even as of this day, I keep trying to fight it. I am making a bit of progress. After rejection I used to get completely disheartened and broken for days...now, I just don't care anymore and just move on to the next attempt.... Very good question !!

I'm quite a bit frightened by the challenge of getting older up to about 6 months ago I was pretty clear minded and seem how ot have taken quite big dip in cofidence and feel that I have a very poor memory - In the past I was a general builder plasterer and roofer and worked on quite a lot of high buildings - I was scared but I knew I could still do it. Now all is changed and I am feeling quite frail even though I go out in all weathers and garden, saw wood, carry big loads of fertiliser around - I don't know what made hte change into unconfident and even though I still do these things I don't feel 'strong' - I don't have to push myself to start but i do have to push myself to finish.

I've gotten much better over the past year, but I still have to tamp down some fear and anxiety everytime I leave the house.

mountain and rock climber for 15 years, cured my fear of heights, bought a straight jacket from a police catalog, cured my claustriphobia. i am a real fan of aversion therapy.

Depends. If it must be done, then I try not to think about it and plunge ahead.

There's a saying, "feel the fear and do it anyway". I do not know who said it, but it works for me.

Yeah, I usually face my fears. As long as it doesn't put my life at risk or endager me.

With some fers it is just better to avoid the problems. Like if you are awre of a group who agressively tries to covert you to their religion, I do a little bit fear encounterign such persons, but I dont' seek them out to confront the fear. I don't think a fear of being annoyed counts.

I don't take unnecessary risks, but I do sometimes push outside my comfort zone. Taking on new responsibilities and traveling are things I find exhausting, but I'll occasionally decide that I'm going to do it even though it's not something I have to do.

I have developed a fear of heights over time, and a fear of intimacy recently. I don't care enough about the height thing to try to overcome it. The other kind of worries me, but it is harder to be in a position to overcome. The first l can do on my own if l desire. The second requires a partner.

Not after being a USAF fire fighter, an EMT and 3rd shift gas station cashier.

I think the following will present a challenge,doing what is considered to be the most dangerous mountain hike in the world. See following link.

I do. Courage is not the absence of fear, but acting in spite of it. Granted I have no flight instinct and only fight. I'm strangely drawn to what scares me.

In my hobby field of ghost hunting fear is what makes it fun. Without it, it's just like watching paint dry.

I am the same way. Still hard to push myself to do some things. I have a few things in my bucket list that I want to try. Most of them are things that scare me. One of them being sky diving. That one will be the hardest for me to try. But its on my list.

I have a friend who use to do sky diving. I asked what it was like the first time he jumped out of an airplane and he replied: "It's not the first jump that gets to you, it's the second one." LOL

@ASTRALMAX funny, I always thought it was the last jump that gets you.

@ChrisJones It certainly does if the parachute doesn't open........

@ASTRALMAX I was wondering if anyone would get that. ?

I am doing better, my anxiety held me back before but Prozac has helped me overcome a lot of my fears. I am able to be more social but can still be scary at times.

Alas, my body isn’t as forgiving as it used to be, so pushing myself could have some pretty embarrassing consequences.

My greatest fear used to be spiders. I taught myself not to be afraid of spiders. In fact, last night there was this poor spider about the size of a quarter stumbling around on my bed...I picked him up and put him somewhere safer. As for an action that is frightening, if you learn what fear is...it is exhilerating...like standing across from another 250+ behemoth who wants to take your head off...and knows how to take your head off...fear can become addictive at that point (I had never been so depressed and disappointed as when I found out I had a medical issue which was going to prevent me to fight). And with that, I leave you this: fear incarnate:

On my motorbike, you bet and in normal life with panic/anxiety attacks or id be indoors all the time.

I don't have to - those things seem to seek me out!

Jnei Level 8 Apr 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.