Agnostic.com

47 8

Do you push yourself to do things that scare you?

I'm not a dare devil by any means, but I'm learning to embrace my fear. This is probably my greatest challenge. How about you?

silvereyes 8 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fearless and my daughter is too.

Fear is a matter of the unknown, until it better known. When you add love, work and time.

Not much really scares me, but I try to force myself to step out of my comfort zone often.

Sometimes usually lately facing my fears has meant dealing with my past and letting it go.

I don't want to sound like some posturing, preening male, but if I have any signigicant fears, I'm not aware of them / don't experience them that way. That is largely a function of already having experienced all the major worst-case scenarios in life, short of death. As they say -- beware the man who has nothing to lose.

I have dislikes, and I do push into those discomfort zones where it makes sense (where my dislikes are limiting to me or mine in some way). That's usually when I'm avoidant of something for self-defeating reasons, such as avoiding needed exercise or dietary changes or communicating about something I don't like to discuss or communicating usefully when I'm more naturally prone to just be irascible.

Generally yes although many times I find that I've done something without thinking it through enough and THEN find myself in a scary situation. Don't do that as often now that I've kinda got half a clue. 🙂

Not so much scary but outside of my comfort zone. Just enough to keep my brain changing and growing. Right now I'm taking voice and guitar lessons :0

That depends on what type of fear it is. Sometimes fear comes from self-preservation. So that kind of fear, no, I don't push myself thru it. Adventure or new things kind of fear...Sometimes I do push thru it if I the want/desire outweighs the fear. Good luck & be safe❣??

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

I am doing better, my anxiety held me back before but Prozac has helped me overcome a lot of my fears. I am able to be more social but can still be scary at times.

Depends. If it must be done, then I try not to think about it and plunge ahead.

I've gotten much better over the past year, but I still have to tamp down some fear and anxiety everytime I leave the house.

I'm quite a bit frightened by the challenge of getting older up to about 6 months ago I was pretty clear minded and seem how ot have taken quite big dip in cofidence and feel that I have a very poor memory - In the past I was a general builder plasterer and roofer and worked on quite a lot of high buildings - I was scared but I knew I could still do it. Now all is changed and I am feeling quite frail even though I go out in all weathers and garden, saw wood, carry big loads of fertiliser around - I don't know what made hte change into unconfident and even though I still do these things I don't feel 'strong' - I don't have to push myself to start but i do have to push myself to finish.

Oh yeah.... I have been pretty bad at small talk in social environment like a bar for instance. I can write like crazy and my brain tag along with me with ease but, when it comes down to start a conversation with a girl then my brain takes unannounced vacation and I just don't know what to say !! That lead me to fear of rejection but even as of this day, I keep trying to fight it. I am making a bit of progress. After rejection I used to get completely disheartened and broken for days...now, I just don't care anymore and just move on to the next attempt.... Very good question !!

I don't push very hard

Mostly always !

Yes,Because if I feel somebody else can do it I can do it also

dc65 Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

Actually yeah, I don't like being scared, so I try to challenge fears. I was scared of heights so I took up climbing, for example 🙂

All the damned time. I have a simple equation - I knock on doors and ask questions. What's the worst that can happen? I get told no. What's the best that can happen? I get told yes. If you can truly own that fearlessness, then you can try anything. It may not work, but it's the effort that counts, in my opinion.

Not enough any more. but that said, I just joined a workshop for vocal empowerment. it's called power in the voice, & facilitated by our choir master. I will have to be singing solo on stage towards the finale in eight weeks. very exciting!

The only way to overcome fear is to embrace fear. Sometimes when I think about how fear dictates the collective mind... Its very unnerving the way people manipulate fear through communication, expression, body language... Its like an eery dream that repeats itself over and over again subtley throughout many lifetimes. You relive it if you don't embrace it and overcome it.

Sometimes. However, I’ve learned consequences are more impactful upon the ones I love.

I have always heard this at least from the people that are very brave say. If someone tells you they are not afraid they have a fool for an advisor

I am constantly pushing myself to do things that scare me. Otherwise I might never leave the house. Ok, it's not that bad 🙂 but I did go to a concert by myself last year (Arlo Guthrie) and that was pretty major even though it was local.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.