Agnostic.com

4 2

Are you in favor of "Right to Repair" ?

Apple’s T2 Security Chip Has Created a Nightmare for MacBook Refurbishers

Recyclers and refurbishers are beginning to scrap devices that cost $3,000 just two years ago.

[vice.com]

[ifixit.com]

[eff.org]

FearlessFly 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes

Yes. Apparently this is a problem with any kind of embedded system. I personally feel that we should have the right and ability to replace proprietary software in embedded systems with anything we want.

For example, I would love to be able to replace the operating system on my now fairly old Kindle with some kind of more general purpose form of the Android operating environment, or more preferably straight out linux without Android on top of it. I might be able to do it through various hacks, but there's a huge risk of rendering the device unusable, i.e. bricking it.

I avoid buying the proprietary systems altogether. I replaced the OS on my Sansa media players with Rockbox (works great).

I also have 'philosophical' objections to ebooks. IMO, our Constitutional rights are being abrogated (compared to dead-tree), but that is another "soapbox" πŸ˜›

Yes. I assemble my own PC's and have since the 80's. If you have the skill, you should have the option.

I support the right to repair. I avoid Apple products whenever possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:492618
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.