Agnostic.com

68 12

What's a phrase you vehemently despise?

Mine's the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
I'm not a cow, sex is not a commodity, and if I marry someone--I don't owe them sex (or vice versa for that matter).

Mea 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Boys will be boys" I find it an excuse that perpetuates gender stereotypes and bad behavior

I hate that one too. Your gender doesn't excuse you from being an ass.

Yeah, that one has been used to excuse gang rape, SMH.

And "act like a lady" I'm female. I'm a lady no matter what.

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield "That's no lady, that's my wife."

One time before I married my husband someone asked him when we were going to get married. He replied, "Why buy the cow when I get the milk for free?" I replied back, "Did you just call me a cow??" ???

That would have pissed me off! Lol.

Response to that is , why buy the pig , when the sausage is so small .

Whatever! Not a phrase, but it irritates the shit out of me. Also, " You know what I'm saying?". No l don't know what you are saying becuase I'm stupid!

Knew an idiot who used that . It wasn't that he had anything intelligent to say , he just wanted to get in thee last word . Last I heard , his wife left him .

@Cast1es lol

It is what it is. Hate that one.

Oh me too! GROAN!

My sister has that tattooed on her leg. Personally, I find the statement stupid.

"have a blessed day".

Rule of thumb

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

What does that even mean? Thumbs don't make rules

@LadyAlyxandrea - Some believe it was the width of the stick a man could beat his wife with under English law a while ago.- if it's the size of your thumb, it's ok. "Make sure you measure that stick before you beat your wife! Thumb-size? OK go ahead".

@GoldenDoll awful!!!

I like the Viet Cong version: If an airplane or helicopter is the size of your thumb at arm's length, it means it can be hit with small arms fire. 🙂

@TheInterlooper it HAS been debunked. As a DV survivor,
that doesnt change the long running inferrence of the phrase.

@LadyAlyxandrea although it's been debunked, it was inferred that a husband could beat his wife with a stick as long as it wasn't thicker than his thumb. As a DV survivor, It STILL leaves a bad feeling even though it was debunked.

@TheInterlooper so does lacking EMPATHY I'd imagine.

I hate the phrase, "Jesus didn't exist." Ever time I hear it, I hear the same fundamentalistic notion as those who insist he was a god.

I'm getting pretty sick of conservatives constantly saying "ad hominem". Was there a conservatives meeting where their leaders all told them to use it at every opportunity? We get it you learned a big word.

Get 'er done!
A man said that on a first date once, as we walked into a restaurant. I was so glad I drove separately.

@Donotbelieve Me too! And I live here in hillbilly land where I hear it every-fucking-day.

MAGA

“I’ll pray for you.” Really? Which god are you pleading with? You think s/he/it isn’t aware? Please don’t bother your god on my behalf.

The best reply I've heard so far to "I'll pray for you" is "I'll think for you". I use it all the time.

When someone says they'll pray for me I always want to respond "And I'll commit an act of divination for you". But I don't. It would be over their head and it's the same thing, divination.

@farmboy2017 How about, I'll cast a spell for ya!?

@GoldenDoll I love that ❣

When somebody that knows I am an atheist says that they will pray for me, I say, thanks for the condescending remark. Pray for my conversion, see where that gets you.

"You go, girl".
"Having said that.."

Let me axe you a question

Liberry
Let me "mill" it over
numberella=umbrella
Pivaligh=pilot light
...and so many more monstrous murdering of the language...

Man up
Grow a pair
You run like a girl

it's gods will.

Anything used way too often

Literally...ugh!

knocked it out of the park I've heard way too often at the moment

Potty humour from anyone over 13.

"You're delusional"

My ex would use that everytime he was losing an argument or I caught him in a lie. The reason why I abhore that statement is that I do have mental health issues, however they do not impact my thinking/analyzing ability.

Business as usual.

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

It is what it is...while certainly true and very applicable at times, it has been done to death.

"you know"

and the people that say that may say it dozens or even hundreds of times in just one conversation. And I keep thinking to myself, "I actually don't know."

@realneal54 You know, hearing 'you know" over and over is, you know boring.

Well, you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're stoking the fire.

Not a phrase, a new word - "woke".. Can't stand it..

Argh, I hate that one, too.

"I mean" especially at the start of a sentence. Can we not just assume that you mean what you say?

"Truthfully" or "The truth is." If you are telling the truth, why do you have to say so?

try "actually"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.