Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Supreme Court weighs making Electoral College even less democratic - Vox

Hate the electorial college as much as I do? Think you couldn't hate it more?
Think again.

1of5 8 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The founders didn't envision political parties -- certainly not the polarization we now have.

The voters don't choose Electors directly, the parties do that.

The article is fairly biased -- 'what if the Dems get 'screwed' ?
"But if the justices choose to allow them (faithless electors), they are potentially endorsing chaos"

What? Our system is a result of political parties of thier era, specifically designed to minimize what they saw as the negative aspects of party alignment (i.e. party over sense).

Not sure why you think the article contradicts who selects electors. It's what the electors do after selection that's the issue.

"Which brings us back to where this piece began. Imagine that, weeks after Election Day, Democrats learn that Biden’s victory was ripped from them and handed to Trump by some obscure elector hardly any voters have ever heard of. Would Democrats simply throw up their hands and say “well, shucks, that’s what the Constitution requires,” or would many of them treat this event like an illegitimate coup? (The same questions would apply to Republicans if it was Trump on the wrong end of electors’ independence. ) "

I can't imagine that the current court will do much about a system that was expressly delegated to the states. I think the only way this problem the states are having, could be addressed at a federal level would be via constitutional amendment. If the states don't want to figure out how to manage electors, they need to work together to dismantle that system. Add that weve had multiple authoritarian style presidents who directly benefitted from the ECs ability to override the popular vote. Appealing to the feds here, is a recipe for disaster. But, getting the SCOTUS case out of the way may help galvanize the states.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.