Agnostic.com

1 2

[eand.co]

This is a very good and hard hitting article on "The Age of Ignorance". And a harsh support for my belief now that America has lost. I don't know how that loss will play out, but America has no reason to retain dominance in the world anymore except for that we still have the biggest stick on the playground.

The author points out: Ignorance has always been around, hasn’t it? It’s that today, ignorance is willful. Deliberate. Proud. Boastful, cocky, and exultant. Pompous, high-sounding, and aggrandizing. It waves banners and sings chants and discusses philosophies. Ignorance today thinks of itself as Aristotle by way of Descartes and Kant. The really strange thing about now is that ignorance parades itself as enlightenment.

From the article: *I tell someone a simple black and white fact. “Hey, do you know that Americans live five years less than Europeans?” Bang! Along comes a string of justifications, denials, misinformation, Fox News talking points, followed by mistrust, personal attacks, and finally, rage. Here’s another example. “Hey, did you know Brexit will cost you thousands every year, and make you poorer to begin with?” Snap! The very same string, in response. Don’t you think that’s odd? I do.

Observer-Effect 7 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't say that I find it odd though I do find it unfortunate. people will believe whatever they want no matter how ludicrous, regardless of evidence, and the obvious to support their own willful ignorance. I'm not convinced that is a human characteristic that can be changed on a large scale. humanity is not smart enough to not be stupid. just my two cents worth.

Yeah, I wonder if our technological evolution outpaced our social skills/brain development. We have this gigantic population with immense control over our environment, but are still operating with with australopithecus brain stems. Our brain development will catch up with our technological development if we can keep going for tens of thousands more years without wiping ourselves out!

@Observer-Effect I'm not so sure about that bit about our evolution biologically catching up to our technological developments. 10000 years is nothing for the biological evolution, but an eternity on the technolgy development. AI will probably be doing most of that stuff for us anyway if we ever get that far. And if the technology is used to serve the Biology it's kind of a guaranteed wipe ourselves out scenario. nice dreams. lol. ✌️

@Observer-Effect btw-I don't think we really have that much control over our environment anyway. we just like to think so because we're an arrogant conceited bunch - Humanity I mean. we just like to tell ourselves we're smart.

@hankster Well yeah, I mean . . . I used to tell myself I was smart! Ego is definitely tough to control.

@Observer-Effect even the smartest human is a dumbass sometimes.

@hankster

@Observer-Effect I don't know that I really learned much living this life, but I try to remember that everyone is smart and everyone is stupid. it just depends on what you're talking about and there's also the issue of consistency.

@hankster As I've grown older I've found that lowering my expectations of my own intelligence results in me seeming really smart to myself! Though if I'm trying to narrow things down to what I've really learned . . . I suppose the ability to laugh at myself has been key to survival.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:494572
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.