Agnostic.com

30 10

Do you grow food

If you grow food please tell us why and how

Lovewins 5 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always wanted my own garden. I want flowers though. I do like fresh veggies to eat though. At my old place, a resident watched over a mini garden. It looked nice. I miss all the flowers that grew in the yard. I love flowers. I love to take photos of them with my good digital camera someone gave me. I never pick flowers. To me that would be destroying nature.

You wouldn't like my sister #4. She grows organic edible flowers. 😐

@Holysocks Oh, lol.

I have a vegetable garden. My father used to do a lot of gardening, but he's reduced what he grows to just a few crops (tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, onions), so I've started picking up the slack (carrots, radishes, snap peas, green beans, more onions, etc.). I like fresh vegetables and think it's healthy to eat homegrown foods. I'm planning to expand a bit this spring and summer, setting a crop replacement schedule and adding a few extras (kale, Brussels sprouts, potatoes).

Going to try to this summer.

My daughter wants to get chickens and a rooster. Hope it warms up so we can plant garden.

No... but that will be good reason to own property... as a child lived in houses with mango, acerola, hot peppers, lemon, plantines, naranja, and others produce, grandma used for cooking and home remedies... great childhood memories. In Crete... getting a fresh lemon from the tree for tequila shots impressed the Scandinavian guests to my place. Oh the memories and good health of what you can grow! Thank You for your Post.

Yes. I use raised beds as well. My career has me indoors, on my butt and in front of a computer all day. I like having something to do that requires some manual labor with tangible and tasty results. It's very relaxing. I especially enjoy sitting on the deck after working in the garden having a cold beer.

Last summer I grew lots of kale & basil and was blown away! They both added such a flavorful and tasty texture, I could not get enough. I also planted lots of tomatos, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, chard, green onions, squash, broccoli, & caulliflower... I had a good summer last year for growing here in michy...

I do! I planted asparagus crowns the other day and I planted 20 heirloom tomatoes night before last to transplant around June 1. Tonight I'll plant some okra that I'll transplant down in June. I usually germinate indoors and transplant later on to get a head start on my season. I'd grow 20 acres if I had the acreage and a market. Oh, and someone to grow with🙂

I let my friends and family grow food and we work it out in trade or services. I've got a small yard and don't want to take away my dogs outside playspace.

I try and try. I have a very limited area in my yard to grow on and that is in the shade beginning about 3-4. A lot of effort and little payback.

maybe pots would work better?

@Lovewins no that stuff makes me crazy, I just like a beer or two occasionally. Kidding.... I tried that with tomato’s last summer. But it is so hard to get the water right here in this dry climate. Most of them would crack from watering, then when I would back off the plants would get droopy like they were going to die. The only thing that did good was my basil, that is till the Japanese beetles destroyed it. Apparently I’m not favored by the gods of a good harvest, or a green thumb.?

The last time, I tried I planted tomatoes. We had a wet summer and most rotted before they were ripe. I don't even like tomatoes; so I gave up on them.

JimG Level 8 Apr 3, 2018

I can't even keep a pet rock alive

Yes, tomatoes, green beans, peppers and pumpkins. We have a small garden spot on our property. We grow them because it's delicious.

Do not.... Too busy consuming it ? ( sorry ahead of time, can't help myself... I know, I know ). Lets make a deal, if I find friends that grow food then I'll send them your way. Cheers !!

I started my life on a farm in Tennessee. When we moved to town my Dad always kept a small garden in the back yard, maybe mostly just to stay in touch with his own roots. I continue that tradition now, and in the same spirit; just to stay in touch with life. I experiment with ways to use the least resources and gain the best result, in cooperation with nature.

skado Level 9 Apr 18, 2018

Oh, yes. I have gardened for over 40 years. In Florida, I grow 3 gardens a year. I love gorwing the vegetables, eating them, and sharing them. There is a picture of me and my tomato plants this year on this site.

I grow and preserve food.If I do not grow enough myself, I'll buy it from the neighboring farms.

Not this year's garden, obviously but this is the year when the garden tried to take over the property. That fence that shows in the back is 6' tall and you can see the "pond" which has been ecliped by the tomatoes and melons. I've cut back since then, this year planning for tomatoes (love different heirloom varieties) garlic and kale. Of course when the time really comes to plant, I could end up with other things as the obsession takes over. The tomatoes are some of the different varieties I put in.

I should probably start.

I grow herbs and tomatoes. I love fresh sun and vine ripened tomatoes. I eat them right off the vine. I grow other things from time to time, depends on what catches my eye at the garden center.

I do well with herbs, peppers, and tomatoes. I made some raised beds and planted other vegetables, but rabbits and insects did a number on them. Since I didn't want to use insecticides, it was difficult to keep the pests away. Maybe I'll try again some day, but this year I will just stick with the plants that have worked for me.

I did, when I lived in the US, to have fresh, tasty, organic food.
Since I moved to Thailand, the fresh food is so cheap, no need to grow my own.

We have had gardens in the past, but have not had one for several years. I would love to start one again. We have a large backyard, but unfortunately not a lot of time to care for a garden right now.

I am not in circumstances where I can do that, but I admire those who are, and do. My grandparents had a vegetable garden in the Central Valley in CA at their modest little house, and my grandmother cooked what seemed to me the best food I ever ate. You're very fortunate.

Nothing as delicious looking as that...I've always leaned toward herbs and some veggies. It's comforting to know the rabbits are dining on carrot curry. ( Now that I mention it, that sounds pretty good... )

Not like that ! 🙂
Is that your garden ? Wow !!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.