Agnostic.com

24 33

Why the World is Horrified by the American Idiot.

Brilliant. An excerpt:

"I don’t use the term as an insult — the American idiot. I mean it in a precise way, as I try to remind people. For the Greeks, “idiot” carried a precise and special meaning. The person who was only interested in private life, private gain, private advantage. Who had no conception of a public good, common wealth, or shared interest. To the Greeks, the pioneers of democracy, such a person was the most contemptible of all. Because even the Greeks seemed to understand: you can’t make a functioning democracy out of…idiots.

"Now, I’m going to generalize. But I don’t mean that all Americans are idiots. I mean that, for example, more or less everyone who wants to carry a gun to Starbucks, deny their neighbors healthcare, make people beg for medicine online, and not let anyone in society ever retire…all of those people in the world, by and large, are Americans. Nobody else — nobody in the whole world at this point in history — thinks such things are remotely desirable. Hence, the American idiot. It means: the world’s largest and most hardened subset of idiots at this point, in the Classical Greek meaning of the word, is largely American.

"When every single person I know who’s not American, when the world looks at America, it sees the American idiot, and what it tries — and usually fails, because it’s lost for words — to express is something like this: can people really be this selfish? This oblivious? This…thankless? Why do they keep voting for less healthcare, retirement, education, income, savings, happiness, trust, year after year — even the so-called good ones? What kind of people…why are the literally the only people left in the whole world who do that? And then…complain bitterly about not having…the very things…they deny each other? Who can even make sense of this, the bizarre circular firing squad of social suicide that America has become? But all those, of course, are key traits of the idiot. The answer — sadly, I think — is: yes, people can really be this way.

"America’s obsession with freedom from dates right back to the slave-owner’s desire for freedom from government intervention, law, common decency, any tiny shred of humanity — to have the power to exploit and abuse human beings on an unthinkable scale. There’s a straight line from Nietzsche’s “master morality” naturally dominating the “slave morality” to Berlin’s “freedom from” any restraint on power — and that straight line is the one American thinking, still backwards, mired in the logic of domination and exploitation, traced.

"Americans don’t like it when I make those links for them. But they are as plain as day. You only really have to look at Europe or Canada to see the contrast.
There, the idea of freedom itself evolved. Away from “freedom from” — which is what the early European revolution were about, for example, when the French abolished the formal class system, freedom from nobility and monarchy and so forth — and towards “freedom to.”

"By the end of the Second World War, Europe had done something radical and transformative: written the “freedom to” into its constitutions. People would now have expansive freedoms to — freedom to have good healthcare, education, retirement, income, savings, and so forth. It’s true that today’s Europe is forgetting about that breakthrough, but it’s not true that it wasn’t history changing. The power of the freedom to gave Europe history’s highest standards of living — in just one human lifetime. Nothing has been seen like it ever before — and maybe nothing will be ever again."

[eand.co]

LiterateHiker 9 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to be the nature of Amerikans to think in this extreme fashion, everything is either right or wrong, no grey areas and no middle ground. When your side is always the right one and the other side is always the wrong one then everything is viewed through a polarizing lens and ultimately a selfish lens. I live in Canada, just a mile from the border with the US and I can tell you that this sort of polarized thinking does spill over the border. Perhaps it is because it appeals to the selfish child that exists in all of us, me first, gimme, gimme but it is no way to build a civilized society.
Canadians own a lot of rifles, we use them to hunt but we rarely use them to shoot other people.
Amerikan friends tell me that Canadians don't have any guns and that our government prohibits them, they are surprised to hear that we have lots of guns per capita and the guns that we do restrict are ones that are mainly designed for killing people. Maybe that's why we have so few mass shootings or even single gun homicides?

I'm not surprised. I know that, especially in the heartland, Canada gas guns. Down in the states, too many just don't want responsibility and responsible gun ownership. Trying to talk to the gun nits can be difficult down here. I have a bit of an edge, being a veteran. I have talked about the Finns and how so many of them have guns, starting sometimes as early as 12. But there, they must be trained in proper use and safety; they laugh at us and for good reason. Also, I have even suggested- let us go back to 60's era gun laws, which made guns even easier to obtain, but had intensely different laws to enforce responsibility, including fining and sometimes imprisoning people who let their kids get a hold of guns and shoot and kill themselves or others, as well as not just saying it is okay to shoot someone because you felt fear.

What can I say? I don’t want to intrude on private introspection...but it pretty well sums it up correctly!

That was helpful . Very clear. I don't feel any better living amongst them though.

I lived overseas for fifteen years, and that experience gave me a different perspective on the country, I think. Since my return, I, too, have been wondering what is so brilliantly expressed in this article: "... Can people really be this selfish? This oblivious? This…thankless? Why do they keep voting for less healthcare, retirement, education, income, savings, happiness, trust, year after year — even the so-called good ones? What kind of people…why are they literally the only people left in the whole world who do that? And then…complain bitterly about not having…the very things…they deny each other? Who can even make sense of this, the bizarre circular firing squad of social suicide that America has become?"

I like your sign. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you. For protest signs, my goals are:

Keep it short.

Large lettering.

Use humor. This makes people remember.

Unfortunately we too have IDIOTS here in Australia. Our current prime minister and his cohorts are in that category. So sad. I wish they would emigrate to the US at once, they would feel more comfortable there I am sure.

We have idiots in the UK too, those who have forgotten these freedoms and what it cost to gain them. Now in a Trumpian cascade of idiotic quasi patriotism we are departing the European Union at the time we need it most.

Keep fighting honey

bobwjr Level 10 May 14, 2020

It is difficult being surrounded by idiots, especially here in a Southern state. But to have one in the White House, too!? That's too much. And the Senate run by idiots!? C'mon! It's depressing. But I can still vote for the progressive side, and that's what I do.

I've wondered if it's actually your vaunted Bill of Rights which is part of the problem. It seems to encourage selfishness and miss the idea that rights for the individual will frequently conflict with rights for the community ( your 2nd amendment being a classic case in point). Perhaps you should replace it with a Bill of Responsibilities and Rights.

I have heard people for some time state that the Constitution needs to be rewritten to more comply with modern thinking. The only problem I have with this is the ones who say this is now the supporters of the great idiot in charge, to whom I would not trust anything.

@dalefvictor yes, I can see how that would be a real issue. We had a similar problem when we wanted to become a republic and the f'wit in charge was a monarchist. Everything was defeated in the referendum because he made sure the alternatives were unacceptable.

But I thought USA was the new social experiment.

The Idiocracy has been developing well for decades and don’t see any break in its solid march forward

Americans are so well off that we are disconnected with reality. I have a great many friends from having my YouTube channel from all over the world. I often apologize for my ignorance as an American. They seem to have the hardest tie understanding how religion can make an entire nation "idiots". This is why I am active online and try to help people escape religion.

Seriously, am I the only one here who has a problem with this?

It's posts like these that demonstrate how you don't need religion to be ignorant and biased, nor does rejecting religion guarantee that you are reasonable and logical.

This article may contain ideas that people here largely agree with and have a solid grasp on grammar but logically, it's a nightmare.

"Everyone else agrees that I'm correct and it's only a few crazy outsiders who disagree."
"If you don't agree with my ideas, you are an idiot who is a danger to society. Not only that, but you are contemptible and selfish and generally an all around bad person."
"If you argue with my position, it's because you are mired in backwards thinking and your argument won't be worth listening to."
"My proof that you are backwards idiots is that you don't meet the standards I have deemed the true evidence of the situation."

I will make up my own mind about political issues by looking at the facts and applying actual logic to them. If that makes me an idiot in this person's eyes, or anyone else here, then that is your loss, not mine.

@UpsideDownAgain

Please cite the source of your quoted words. Fox News?

You are plagiarizing without citing the author, article and source.

@LiterateHiker Indeed. From my read of this essay, I found none of the smugness cited in quotes. As a matter of fact, there's a certain logic to the 'freedom from' / 'freedom to' dichotomy.

@LiterateHiker Okay, I guess the rational thinking was a bit much to handle. Please refer to this article for the proper usage of quotes. [grammarly.com]

First response on google and first line in article, in case you are worried about having to look things up.

@UpsideDownAgain

It's NOT rational thinking.

In try to avoid commenting too much, on the US politics of this site, since its none of my business really, but these days it hard to walk by. I am glad someone overseas said what they did in the article, but it goes way beyond that. How can so many US citizens not understand that this president is not merely making you look immoral and selfish, but laughably silly? It is getting to the stage where just saying, USA and politics, together in the same sentence gets a laugh.

Too many over here remain bigots and evangelical, brain washed no nothings. Those have united to vote into power ones who support the wealthiest of the elite. Those in power placate those people with promises to let them keep their guns and to stop women from having reproductive rights (abortion). Those voters don't seem to care that every thing else goes against their best interests. Then there is a large group that just doesnt vote. Then there are the disenfranchised.

@Beowulfsfriend Yes that is another issue. How can a country which claims to be the champion of democracy, not try its best to get as many people engaged with the voting as possible, yet instead it ends up having large numbers of appathetic none voters, and many disenfranchised.

It seems almost like a retreat to the origins of democracy centuries ago, when the 'people' and the 'voters', meant, landowning white males over forty. Perhaps it is just the usual case, that long ago the US led the world in democrasy, and that leaders often assume that they can give up trying and improving because they think the job is a done one, then one day they turn round and find themselves at the rear.

very good article, sad but the truth

A very well written summary, it provoked a flashback of two British village idiots having a discussion about politics and finance. (Monte Python)

Very well said.

As I see it we have been trying to get past religion for some time. The U. S. was the recipient of most of the religious people who had no country that liked them, they moved here and formed the basis for our culture. There was a part of this that wanted for a better world and did not want religion to be part of the societal norm, they wrote the Constitution stating this.
There were and are those who want this to be a religious country apparently so basic morality could be applied. Over years of ignorance of both history and religion, there have been groups that have tried to make the country more to their liking. We now have what we have. In the past forty or fifty years, I have personally seen the education structure of this country try to make the people less educated and less able to think rationally, logically, and critically. The dumbing down of education has been our downfall and to see what happens when people of this system take control one has to look no further than Betsy DeVos, head of the dumification department.
We have to take back control of the system and develop freedoms that have to do with things other than the ability to be free to be stupid and ignorant. I learned many years ago that historically things change when they get so bad that they can be no longer supported by the masses. Greed does not work. Ignorance does not work. Not working at being an educated democracy does not work. Can we try something that may have a chance?

I read that article you're quoting from. I like how the term "free-dumb" is applied. I think it's true.

[theweek.com]
This is another article along the same line

All is sadly true. However, I think it is so remarkable in that we were once the epitome of what people felt they wanted for their lives. The same things influencing us is also influencing other nations and they are also succumbing to these extreme tendencies. That we have fallen so far is what makes this so disturbing. The fact that too may connect greatness with being superior is also a sad comment. The fact that Europe is doing better is because they too had to learn the hard way with wars, deaths and destruction. But, right now, they too are headed in the downward direction.

Good commentary on the situation.

Actually in spite of the idiocy in America, there are those from third worlds countries who are worse off and would like to move here. There are idiots in South America and Africa, too.

But I thought America was leading everyone ??? To idiocy?

@BudFrank

There are cruel dictators in South America, Africa, the Middle East, North Korea and more.

Now America has a cruel dictator: Marmalade Mussolini.

Gang violence, the climate crisis, oppressive regimes and poverty spur people to immigrate.

@LiterateHiker I think those wanting to flee are mostly moving northward right now. That’s the best solution for the moment.

Really eye opening but so very unfortuneate at how true it is

For want of a better way to put it:

Somewhere in here, there is a theme of an "intellectual bankruptcy". But I'm finding it difficult to compose my thoughts on this, as I think normally the concept would apply to individuals, not collectives. A collective doesn't have one single intellect, so can it be bankrupt? Perhaps the wording should be something like the "societal intellectual bankruptcy".

I think in the near term the US society has been signaling that its collective conflicted and pathetic action on the virus will be to concede that a large portion of the society get infected, that hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions will die, but that it will still try to compete and move on, even as most of the rest of the world tries for the harder and smarter solution which is to slow the virus down to a crawl and shoot for a vaccine or some-such.

On the broader issues of intellectual bankruptcy, and how non-bankrupt societies around the world can co-exist with the US, in business, in environmental challenges, in security, and in all other matters, I think that is something that needs to be worked out.

kmaz Level 7 May 15, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495810
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.