Agnostic.com

6 2

How the conspiracy theories are winning - [nature.com]
I'm over my head, no idea how to interpret this, so for the geeks:

Allamanda 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whoa!
Consider the lethal effects science has had on religious belief. Anti-vax may be a believer’s last defense. They are betting their futures.

There is a false equivalence in the minds of many, between on one hand - the scientific facts and evidence led and thoroughly tested immunisation programmes- and....unscientific and untested anecdotal stories of how vaccines are an orchestrated campaign by governments and scientists to inject the masses with something which will cause us harm, especially emotive when linked to the inoculation of our children. We are not countering the false claims of the conspiracy theorists and ant-vaxxer lobby, which seem to proliferate at as an alarmingly high rate as Covid19, it appears! Ignorance and fear are the drivers for this surge in misinformation, and when there isn’t clear and intelligent leadership at the helm of government sending out a message that only scientific advice should be followed, but instead the President of the USA himself is promoting half-baked and dangerous ideas on TV to the nation, it isn’t hard to understand why some people are confused.

I’ve never had a religious faith to loose but issues like this and creationism do make me loose faith in humanity. I just want to retreat and let the world be ignorant.

Don't bother with that false 'debate,' which rages on in the room next door to the great controversy: 'The world: six days, 6,000 years, or a really lonnnnng time?'

I don’t think any of us actually bother with it. The sad point of the article is that some people do.

Natural selection is simply defined as: the process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.

Vaccines are given to people, this is man made, to give someone a "boost" of increased benefit for survival that their basic genetics may not provide.

With more people surviving because of the added vaccines, evolutionary process then work on people's brains so that people can be stupid and not take the vaccines thus allowing for evolutionary process to work out eleminating the not so good genetic people and the better genetic people then are those that are left to reproduce.

Word Level 8 May 14, 2020

You figured it out...brilliant!

Unfortunately the evolutionary process doesn't seem to work on politicians. Oklahoma elected an anti-vaxer with 8 or 10 kids as governor. He also took two million dollars worth of tax payer money and bought the malaria drug that doesn't work on Covid 19. I can't wait to find out if he is going to let his family vacinate against this virus if they make a vaccine.

@Lorajay let’s pass a law that says all vaccines or none.

People are suckers and want to believe they know something others don't. Maybe it makes them feel superior when, in reality they are inferior.

@Athena Some peoples knowledge is superior when it is backed up by evidence, facts and even personal experience. When it is based on hearsay it is just more idiotic gossip.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.