Agnostic.com

11 2

Is polyromanticism a natural evolution of the modern relationship dynamic?

Is polyromanticism a natural evolution of the modern relationship dynamic or has it always existed though persecuted within a religious world that has continuously pushed monogamy?

SunnyCorazon 5 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A lifetime with one person, or one person at a time for a lifetime?

Discussing this with my VSS-O yesterday.
I think what is happenning is that we're developing the language to talk about it. People who would previously spend their lives unable to even think coherently about their desires now have the terms to go "Oh, THAT'S what this feeling is." The result is a lot more people acting on desires that have always been there but for most remained unacknowledged (I mean that in the most literal way) due to lack of sufficient language.
This is not confined to polyamory. I spent my teen years quite racked due to (then illegal) same sex attractions. There was no word for bisexual in my world. You were straight or you were a poof. Finding that the world was not confined to binary opposites was a huge liberation. I think this is what is happenning in the poly sphere.
And we can thank all the folk who stood up at Stonewall, and the many other sites across the world for that change

Each to there own tastes Polyromanticism has gone by many names before. . . Much has been kept in the down low by hypocrites and much was just a natural expression of carrting for more than one person. Some can and some can't

I wouldnt say that. I think it would have to be 3 at most total. Checks and balances. Math checks out, but it's only just as functional, maybe more, if all parties involved are pan, bi, or homo.

Jealousy is real. Animosity is natural. Nature tends to favor less complicated things

I think as humans evolved, it has not been a part of our nature as animals to be monogamous.

Our animal insticts to reproduce (hae sex) are much stronger than our rational intellects.

Ok but uf one doesn't care about reproducing and just loves the sensual,the fun and great feeling is good.

Religion and other suppressors have maintained monogamy for women, and fuck anything that moves for men, for thousands of years.

Religious people, at least in the US, are more likely to divorce, which is serial monogamy. (and be involved with child sexual abuse.)

An interesting perspective about this: Esther Perel "the state of affairs - rethinking infidelity"
She maintains that the changes in marriage about 100 years ago, and the women's rights changes, haver resulted in insane expectations from having only one significant other. Hence, the number of happily married people exploring new types of relationships.

No, the natural state is serial monogomy. Consorting pairs until the consorting is not longer exciting.

I do not think it evolved from "modern" relationships. I think it has been with us, more or less all along. That it should become a public practice and discussed openly would be an artifact of modernity.

It has always been there. I have found it can be connected to excessive alcohol and drug use. Anyone else see the correlation?

I have not seen this. I have hosted along with my partner a FB page and meet-up group for the polyamorous and I have not seen this as a trend and would venture to say that it may be the opposite.

While alcohol and drug use can lower inhibitions, thereby allowing an individual to engage in behavior out of the 'norm' for them, I don't think the actual interest is directly related. It's natural for humans to want to engage with more than just one partner. Monogamy is a societal construct. Most species do not mate for life. Some do, but I believe with humans it's more learned behavior than ingrained naturally.

@KKGator Very good, Such as intoxication would not make one gay or vegan.

I don't think there's anything "modern" about it.
I also do not believe that monogamy is natural behavior.

I don't think anything has changed at all apart from beliefs. for the record after watching so many animal programs, apparently the bigger the testicles the more likely males are to stray in the ape family especially.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.