Agnostic.com

4 3

Ok for scientifically minded here, lets talk about anti vaxxers. Firstly I will give 2 definitions.
Vaccine:
noun: vaccine; plural noun: vaccines
a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.
Immunity
noun
noun: immunity; plural noun: immunities

1. the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection or toxin by the action of specific antibodies or sensitized white blood cells.

It is a fact that effective vaccines take many years to develop, 10 years is often quoted, for long term testing purposes and more extensive data collection and analysis. A science.

Seasonal Flu vaccinations only cover specific strains of the influenza virus, are out of date in months and need to be administered yearly. It is for this reason that I dispute that these season shots should be classed as vaccinations. They do not provide immunity by definition.

I am not high risk for flu and believe they are useless for people like me to take as they are ineffective when talking immunity. My choice.
I am writing this so that when people like me are encountered, anti seasonal flu "vax's" types, that to assume they are anti vax is incorrect.
What I am is anti promoting medical products as vaccines when they are not. And then getting the whole pro vax brigade come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Not anti vax, anti bullshit science.

powder 8 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can nitpick definitions all you want, but you can't base an argument on allegorical evidence, the fact that people who are vaccinated against the flu often get the flu is easily explained for a few reasons. One reason is that nothing is 100% effective. Mishandled or improperly stored vaccines can be rendered ineffective. There's also the fact that people are often exposed to the flu before they are innoculated and the vaccine is administered too late. Even if an innoculated individual gets the flu it's usually far less severe and its duration is reduced.

I didn't get flu vaccines for many years, not because I didn't believe in their efficacy or opposed them, but because I took many other precautions and was willing to take my chances because I rarely get ill. Last year, for the first time in almost two decades, I got the vaccine simply because my daughter-in-law was pregnant with my grandson. I didn't want to expose him.

JimG Level 8 May 23, 2020

Seasonal flu shots are vaccines. I think people should get them. I had my first flu shot 25 years ago, get them every year and have never gotten the flu. I get every vaccine available, pneumonia, shingles and I'll get a corona vaccine when/if. When I was a child I contracted measles which left me with arrhythmia and deaf in one ear. The measles vaccine came out shortly after I got it. I think parents should be mandated to vaccinate their children and subject to arrest if they refuse. If they want to expose their own children, I still don't think that's their right. By doing so they expose other people's children, for that they should go to jail. It's child abuse and public endangerment. I know this will make some heads explode. Try not to make a mess.

I am all about vaccination ! Big time .
But I HATE THE FLU SHOT exactly for the reasons U listed plus , I have seen w my own eyes side effects in healthy people ( GB cases ) . I fear that shot and yet I have no choice but taking it every year , is mandatory for health care providers at acute care .

I am totally for vaccinating our children at the appropriate times....I don't get a flu shot because I see what it does to otherwise "healthy" people. ( I have only had the flu once - back in 1987) I'll just eat right, stay active and stay healthy.....its been working pretty good so far. 😉

Meh. I don't really care if the flu shot is technically a vaccine. I wouldn't call anyone an anti-vaxxer for declining the flu shot. Nor would I think that someone who regularly gets flu shots was full of bullshit.

I've had good luck with flu shots when I've bothered to get them. And I've been okay when I skipped a year, too. Does this mean they're useless? Maybe. I don't know.

I save my vitriol for people who don't vaccinate helpless children against the more debilitating diseases.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.