Agnostic.com

3 6

Who would have thought that not believing in god was what truly freed me?

I had one of those moments this morning, as I posted a meme on facebook for my job. I picked out a quote for my company's Memorial Day facebook post that mentioned god, knowing that it would appeal to most people who saw it. It made me super aware of how freeing my lack of belief in god is.

I can get up on a Sunday morning, put on lacy underwear under a nice outfit, have a cup of coffee, go to the local Mormon church, pray with my arms folded and take their sacrament, go to my friends' house and pray with my hands raised, take their bread and wine, then finish it all off by heading over to the Hare Krishna temple in the evening to chant Hare Krishna, dance wild, get water sprinkled on me and smoke waved at me, and never at any point in all that will I worry that an omnipotent being is going to care what I'm doing. Or I could stay home, masturbate and get drunk and I still don't have to worry about it.

When I picked out the quote this morning, I thought of my boss, my coworkers and the people who would see the quote. I thought of where my career is heading and how to best do my job. That's all I need to think of. And from someone who is fairly new at this nonbelief thing, it feels pretty darn good.

UpsideDownAgain 7 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A few months ago I took a flight by commercial Jet halfway across the country. It had been almost 20 years since I flew, and that was while I was still pretending to be a good Methodist. WELL, when the turbulence began I found it comforting to NOT pray to the imaginary sky fairy. It was a wonderful surprise.

In the old days I would have silently talked to myself, hoping my monologue would be heard. But it was really refreshing to realize that whatever would happen would happen - regardless of what I did or didn't do.

It does me good to see another human being enjoying the freedom of not believing in a god! Enjoy it, girl!

That is the Tommy Album song I AM FREE THE WHO

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499421
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.