Agnostic.com

26 5

LINK Angry Young Preacher: The Bible Says Gay People Should Be Executed (Humanely) | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Matt Powell is the angry Christian preacher who said atheists were all Coke-drinking video game addicts and that scientists were hiding the truth about the Sun and moon.

snytiger6 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It also says you shouldn't use crop rotation. Or pick up a stick on the Sabbath. Or come near a woman during her period (so, do you go around asking every woman, just so you can know who to avoid? Awkward.....).

That book says a lot of damnfool stuff, with just an occasional pearl. That's why I regard it as classic literature and mythology, not a guide to living.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe this stupid kid should have to live by ALL that the
bible says.
See how long HE lasts.

I have know Matt for qbout two years. My cousin was a mega evangilist. I know the type. I actually think he is on his way to being the next Kent Hovand and know that he aspires to do so.

Reminds me of Pastor Ted Haggard preaching against gay activities and years after having to confess he had several gay activities and relationships...

Ted only confessed after getting arrested. I know Matt and I highly doubt he is closeted. He is deeply indoctrinated with a horrific worldview.

Likely closeted and self-hating. The closted gay preacher fiercely fighting his urges is fast becoming a cliche. Hope he figures a way out.

I hope to help him with that. The problem is he is VERY brainwashed and has pretty much pissed everyine off in the atheist community. I actually like him. He reminds me of myself at his age in many ways though some of his views are more extreme than mine were. He is a great guynto talk to. This being said his ideas that he teaches are horrific.

Old story. I have a personal past with this fellow. Here is a video I made about him after he purposefully misrepresented myself and many of my friends about a year ago. He just started up agian and featured me on his thumb ( a great angry freeze face). We have talked about doing an i terview for over a year. Three times now hours before a live stream he has cancelled. He is the worst of the worst of fundamentalist extremeist much like I was when I was a child.

He is actually most known for his hard stance that all "homos" are pediphiles.

This is a response video I made in response to him cutting film to take our statements out of context.

pediphiles?
People who love feet?

Perhaps the state should execute those who are irredeemably stupid? (But of course, they should be executed humanely.)

Yep, his non-existent brain was given to him by his non-existent God!

Absolute moron

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2020

funny I feel the same way about bigots like him (inhumanely)

Atheism is registered as a Religion in the US. There are far more gays in the world than atheists. Gays gather more regarlar than atheist do. Why don't Gays register themselves as a Religion, rather than be punished as being an illegal act in about 80 countries? Tring to change gays to be straight is about 98% failure rate and insane.

Have their church symbol in form of a penis or Virgina and be tax free. That would be more humane than worshipping one God who is a fighter rather than a lover.

Just a wild thought and more honest.

He thinks that the GOVERNMENT should execute "homos". It is really sad.

Maybe he should just admit he's gay before he gets someone killed. I haven't checked the comments but it's always seemed to me that people talking like this have self-hatred because they think they are gay or they already knew they were.

I've noticed the same, but I'll never understand why anyone would take such a strong stand against something that is secretly themselves.

Actually he just got Married. Many have suggested that he is going overboard to cover up his homosexuality but there is no basis for this. What is true is that the preachers that he chums around with are all VERY homophobic. If he ever does actually let me interview him ( as he has promised) one question I will ask him is "As all sin leads to death no sin is worse than any other. So why does he focus on homosexuality rather than stealing lying or overeating. In fact why focus on any particular sin?"

May I remind this asshole that what the bible says was written by 2000 year sheep herders.

Not technically correct. Uneducated sheep herders could not have had the education to write scripture. This is a modern athiest myth.

@DavidLaDeau nice try Davy Boy. Why don't you tell us who wrote then if you're so wonderfully informed as if scripture was or is so difficult to write and it was written thousands of years ago when the average understanding of the world might approach that of today's 3rd grader

@Healthydoc70 Illiterate people can not read or write. That has always been true. Nuf said.

How does some one kill some one humanly? Agree with several writers the mans a moron!

BillF Level 7 May 30, 2020

hardly above the level of primordial slime

He doth protest too much. Daddy has drilled this shit into him. I wonder what personal fear and self-doubt fuels his zealousness.

As a scientist it's time to come clean. We've been keeping the truth about the sun and moon from the public. Rev., Powell has got us. For year we've been deluding you all, the sun is far more complex than just a burning ball of gas and there are actually no or at least very NAZIs on the moon.
Of course, you'd have to be a scientist to know the entire truth and be able to handle it.

Ummm, no it does not, actually,what it condemns is "spilling seed" so I guess any male who has ever masturbated, bu-bye!

i guess this will seem like a bit of a leap, but imagine Tamar--who had a "Coat of many colors"--as something like "the free market," what we would now call "the black market," and Onan as "their vigor," possibly

This young man is as brainwashed/indoctrinated as it’s possible for anyone to be, and yet one must assume that he went through the normal US educational system. I find it very worrying that the only reference book he seems to have been influenced by is the bible, a work of dubious fiction at best, but as a historical or moral template is worse than using The Marquis de Sade or Tales From The Arabian Nights. People like him frighten me with their ignorance and hatred of their fellow humans, and I wonder at what age of his childhood would he have needed to be extricated from his indoctrination in order to reverse such deep rooted convictions. Even more horrifying than the idea of the state killing gays, is the idea that children should be killed for disobeying their parents...that is just too chilling to comprehend, and when I listened (I only listened to a small part, which was enough), I couldn’t help but think of the dystopian Gilead of Margaret Atwood’s novels.

I am sure he went to "Xian schools and/or home schooling. Just a Terrible idea, this is the result

His father is a preacher. The very small church he goes to has a "Bible College". He is as indoctrinated as possible. The problem with him is he believes it is good tonlie for god and he has no care for what is right or wrong, as "god's word" is always right. I know him personally.

The bible has a content full of idiotic crap mostly hateful bullshit. That young hypocrite can kiss my ass!

Dont forget wearing clothing of mixed fabrics, i assume also punishable by death...

As is eating shellfish or met from animals with cloven hooves, or the wearing of makeup. Also, mixing crops in the field.

Excuse me. It's diet Coke

Christians are duplicitous. On the one hand, they quote and advocate for punishments from Leviticus in the Old Testament and on the other they claim Jesus did away with all the old rules and old laws of fhe Old Testament. They don't want to give up shellfish or pork, they don't want to have to burn a bull to create a pleasing oder to their God, but they insist on implementing Old Testament sentences for gays and adulterers. Note that in the latter half of the article, Mr. Powell is reported as saying that adulters should also be killed (there goes a majority of TV evangelists) even though Jesus saved the life of the woman caught in the act of adultery by saying that whoever was without sin should cast the first stone. Powell obviously believes his sins should be forgiven based on what he reads from the New Testament, but also believes that the sins of others either can't or shouldn't be forgiven based on what he reads from the Old Testament. How convenient the the "perfect" word of God contains both sets of conflicting rules so Mr. Powell can extricate himself from punishment with one and condemn others with a death penalty using the other.

What is the truth about the sun and the moon? I really want to know. Why would atheists drink Coke and play video games? Maybe they should drink Pepsi or RC Cola.

As for the need to execute gay people as your bad book says, how do you find out if they are gay? Maybe you could torture them until they admit it. You could see if they would float in the water. If you really want to kill them I hope you understand that the court system will not stand with you on the issue. Maybe Trumpy court will. IDK.

Another example of pick-and-choose
The bible also says that, if your son is unruly, take him before the elders and then stone him to death. Does he preach that also?
Does he wear clothes made of two different materials? The bible foorbids that also.

He probably wants to post the ten commandments everywhere too.
By which he means those found in exodus 20.
The funny thing is that the 'list' in exodus 20 is never called 'ten commandments'. But the ones found in exodus 34 are called specifically that.
Compare the lists- they are different.
The name of the game is ALWAYS pick-and-choose.

*"POWELL: I believe the Bible puts the death penalty on it. Obviously, not by me or anybody in a regular society, obviously. I believe it’s the government’s job to execute criminals. I believe that the Bible says clearly that homosexuality is a criminal crime. It’s a crime. *It’s one of the worst crimes ever."

"The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks?"

The quote is correct and he has stated the same thing many times. I doubt that he is gay. He is very much a zelot about his beliefs.

yes Powell you are an idiot find something else to believe in and do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.