Agnostic.com

29 0

Does this bother you?

When someone tells you, "have a blessed day!"

And do your respond?

Bizarre 5 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. It never bothers me when someone genuinely expresses to me that they wish me well, whether I agree with the way it is worded or not. Why not return the favor and respond, "you have a great day, as well!"

That's actually good idea! I'm going to try to remember that.

Not a bit. I take it as a wish for a good day.

The majority of my customer interactions are over the phone & are seldom pleasant. I investigate 'unauthorized usage' of a public utility, identity theft & the like. I am in Virginia, & work in a rather religious part of said state. When i've caught someone dead to rights, it can get ugly fast with me being cussed out & called (& this is a colloquialism) everything but a child of god. If they are foaming at the mouth pissed off & profane, I always end the call with "& you have a blessed day" just to twist the proverbial knife.

LOL!!!!

I'd just say "thanks" and smile.

Not in the slightest. I appreciate the thought.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

Of course not, blessings do not always come from a God

Depends on my mood. Mostly I ignore it. When it was prevalent at Costco here in New Orleans, I sent a letter to headquarters about proselytizing. It stopped. Really.

Another platitude by the religious that ultimately means nothing. It's analgous to saying "have a good day"; a statement said as an afterthought with no real conviction behind it.

My responce is simple, I say " my day's wonderful without it, thanks"

That's a word you hear a lot here where I live, and it does grate. But I just say "Thanks," if it's someone who doesn't know my stance on religion. If the person does know and says it to me, I still say "Thanks," but I give them the Murphy Look of Death, which is an actual thing in my family.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

LOL on "the Murphy Look of Death".....I have one of those looks myself. It's pretty much involuntary.

Depends upon who it's coming from. A local fast food joint employed a woman with some mental disabilities, she deliver food out to the vehicles. She was always very sweet, big smile and said have a blessed day. That didn't bother me and I figured she might not have the cognitive ability to question the beliefs she was brought up with.

I guess with elderly people it doesn't bother me too much either because that's just such a part of their generation and they mean well.

Most everyone else I just ignore or mumble thanks if I need to.

"Thank you, you too"

No it does not bother me it is very possible to have a very blessed life and many blessings in your life and still not be part of a religion or believe in any God

walk away and say no thanks.

How rude.

My go-to response is, "Have a secular day." It's as meaningless as "have a blessed day" and sometimes it causes an awkward pause, and I love those moments.

It's aggravating AF. I usually ignore it.

Gesundheit.
. More serious answer - doesn't bother me. They are wishing me well. If we want to get into a discussion about the need for a divine being to grant me a good day as if I am unable to have one on my own...that's a different kettle of plastic fish.

Does not bother me, not having a god teaching me to hate goes a long way. Sometimes I even do a "Backatcha!".

No, this doesn't bother me at all.

Monad Level 4 Apr 4, 2018

I confess. I use that phrase as a passive aggressive way to say $&@# you.

No it doesn't unless I know they're Christian & they know I'm atheist. Then it's them being pushy & rude. Otherwise I say thanks, you too.

Carin Level 8 Oct 28, 2018

It definitely bothers me when a homeless person thanks me and says God bless you. I feel they are saying that I helped them because I am religious. I usually say I don't believe in God but I do believe in helping people in need. When others do it, often out of habit and good will, I just ignore it.

I often told my kids if I saw a Homeless person with a sign asking for $$, if it did not say, "God bless" then I'd give them $1. Most all say, "God bless." I guess the idea is to make church goers feel guilty if they don't give $$?!

I hear this a lot where I live, and I just ignore it anymore. If someone says it, I say thank you and move on.

Die you gravy sucking pig. just joking, I don't respond.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.