Agnostic.com

15 19

LINK Supreme Court Rejects Church's Challenge To California's Coronavirus Rules : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR

"In a 5-4 decision issued late Friday, Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the court's liberal bloc in upholding the state's right to impose limits on congregations in order to slow the spread of COVID-19.
[...]
In a separate case, the court also rejected a lawsuit from two churches in Illinois seeking to block Gov. J.B. Pritzker's rule limiting religious services to just 10 worshipers. Pritzker later modified the order to allow for up to 100 people at services, and the court denied the churches' request for relief without a noted dissent."

Great decisions that fly in the face of all the doom-sayers who thought this supreme court was just one decision away from imposing Christian Law across the land!!!

TheMiddleWay 8 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm definitely not surprise at Kavanaugh's dissent. He's Dump's puppet.

I don't see it as a christian thing or imposing christian law but more of a challenge to government over reach into private society.

Still a 5-4 decision.

Yay.

Good to hear! Sometimes, they can come up with the right decision. Here in TN, the hypocrites are always pushing to make the bible the official state book. It gets shot down by committee because they know it won't fly unconstitutionally, but the bill is submitted every year.

Trod Level 5 May 30, 2020

I am still troubled that the vote was that close.

Most supreme court decisions are that close

I remember having guarded hopes for the chief justice.. With life appointments, and being on the side of religion that’s intelligent enough to know it’s not really true, and, viewing the direction runaway republicanism is willing to take us …. wouldn’t it be something if they became our saviors?

Varn Level 8 May 30, 2020

Problem for the court is that many previous decisions are really hard to justifiably overthrow. Cases like this have been a slam dunk for reason in the past. It's just now wee have reason to worry.

@TheMiddleWay I think how it works is that lower courts make a decision and the plaintiffs or defendants keep appealing it to the next highest court. So it means a lower court has already ruled and it has been appealed and rejected. That means the lower courts decision stands.

@TheMiddleWay You are right and I had too many other thoughts going on to comprehend what I had read. Yes, SCOTUS has the last word. I was thinking of times they refuse to hear a case.

Good.
For now.

To me, this is (roughly) analogous to the decision(s) that despite explicit Constitutional rights to travel, SCOTUS decided that the government has an overriding claim to mandate all airline passengers provide ID documentation.

I can see now that religious fanaticism is big in the USA. Unfortunately. In Europe, in general, the religious people don't behave like that. Of course there are stupid fanatics among them but I don't see priests or the believers not following the recommendations for this pandemic. In the least the ones I know.

@TheMiddleWay, here I never heard about law suits because they couldn't perform the religious services. For me, sounds ridiculous. I live in a Catholic country. Well, to go around this there's Zoom and other apps that you can use to do that. They might feel more comfortable going to the Church but you have to adapt to the circumstances.

4 of them thought otherwise. You don't think similar majorities in states exist the other way around? Lawsuits abound just like they attack Roe? Great way to foster unity in a pandemic, lord orange. I am not a doomsayer and I certainly agree with the majority of this court from a data driven public health perspective, but the fact that so many people don't is a grave concern of mine. Usually similar concerns on any other subject the religious and a shit ton of what the right brings as arguments. And 5-4 hasn't been enough in a while.

Considering that Robert's voted the way Merrick Garland likely would have voted, I find the fact that I would be concerned at all a result of at best the most vile political stunt ever carried out by one of the biggest scumbags ever birthed. At worst unconstitutional and not challenged hard enough. In my view it is part cause of this current administration as I'd bet some conservatives and religious people voted for the SCOTUS seat, in spite of their better judgement about trump's fitness. Regardless if that little nugget is true, doesn't matter. Celebrate how Gorsuch voted? Celebrate this decision? I'll rather stew in this mess, thanks.

I don't think they have seen anything yet.

>>Great decisions that fly in the face of all the doom-sayers who thought this supreme court was just one decision away from imposing Christian Law across the land!!!<<

Well awesome, so . . . we're in the clear now? 😉

@TheMiddleWay I was just messing. 🙂 Bored here in quarantine!

I do think the chance of Christian martial law becomes very high if the Repugs stay in power next term. And/or if then or before the coward manages to start a shooting war with another country as a distraction, that could help finish America off. Or if we make it to the election, and he refuses to step down - and we have a disorganized chaotic civil war.

America is increasingly a shithole country now, a laughing stock and the new evil empire, and the rest of the world deserves us to get knocked down. But we have 4,000+ nukes and they are afraid we might throw a temper tantrum as we crash (or continue crashing that is).

@Observer-Effect And Drumpf hightails it to FL. being the chickenshit pussy that he is!

@freeofgod Yeah that is part of what is so tough about watching the scumbag, he is such a fucking coward! I mean, being a psychotic asshole . . . yeah that happens to folks, though a country should be smart enough not to put them into power. But being such a whiny candyass at the same time?! It means we know that every single action he takes is based in childish insecurity, it is just maddening to see!

One decision away? Nah, pehaps one or two justices away...regardless, I am happy to see these outcomes.

Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.