Agnostic.com

2 2

There are people protesting police brutality in cities across the nation and the police respond with more brutality.

[twitter.com]

RoboGraham 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not 'brutality;' they're just doing their job under extraordinarily brutal conditions.
Yes there are obviously instances they cross the line and we know about a small fraction of those cases. But managing crowd control during street demonstrations and especially full-blown riots is another matter entirely.
Stop throwing loaded words around just to get a rise out of people. It's irresponsible and childish.

Just doing their job, just following orders. Where have I heard that before?

They wouldn't be in this position, controlling crowds of furious people, if their aggressive militarized tactics hadn't caused so much death and misery.

@RoboGraham B.S.!!!
YOU go out there and try law enforcement in East L.A. or Harlem or some other inner city and then come talk to me. Are you freaking kidding me? What do you really know about it?
You're obviously anti-authoritarian, which is cool, but except for blatantly cut-and-dried situations, there are usually all kinds of factors to consider...cops have an EXTREMELY tough job. Do you have ANY IDEA what things would be like without them? Society could not function.
Look what happened when they gave the 'protesters' some slack; it's lucky they didn't burn the whole city down. Would that have made you happy?
All this SHOULD go without saying, but some people, I guess, have daddy issues.

@Storm1752

Their job is hard and we need them, yes. I never said it isn't and I never said we don't

And clearly, their aggressive tactics aren't making their jobs any easier. Riots don't just erupt out of nowhere. This is happening because millions of people are oppressed by militaristic law enforcement that gets away with murder. It is a recurring theme in American history because we continue to allow them to get away with it. If they focused more on deescalation rather than force, they wouldn't be in this mess. If we could trust them and the justice system to punish criminal cops, they wouldn't be in this mess. They caused it. Do you understand why all those people are protesting?

It's a shame that it's come to this. These issues should have been addressed the right way long ago but unarmed black men constantly get killed at the hands of police so here we are. Of course I don't want a city to burn down asshole. The vast majority of them are peaceful. Some people are taking advantage of the lawlessness of the situation to riot and loot. Some are expressing their anger in destructive fashion. It is unfortunate but this is what happens when the police wages war on the citizens they are meant to protect and serve. When the government uses law enforcement as a weapon of oppression.

All this SHOULD go without saying but some people apparently have their heads up their asses.

I heard the police in my hometown prettymuch stood back! That’s why I went to college to join them! They were the first city in the nation to require two years of college to ‘join the force.’ Not just ‘any college,’ but a program devoted to all aspects of Criminal Justice & Law Enforcement. My County ...having to out do Portland (OR), instantly became the first in the nation to require a four year college degree! I considered both.

They’ve of course had their problems, on the cutting-edge of society, but overall, and ...shit.. forty years later, it appears cities and counties get what they pay for -- and perhaps what they deserve. So proud of my hometown, and miss it greatly ~

Varn Level 8 May 31, 2020
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.