Agnostic.com

43 9

LINK Do we have free will?

Free will is such a profound subject that I can't form my own opinion.

I read with great interest the following parts regarding some arguments for and against the reality of free will:

3.1 Arguments Against the Reality of Free Will
3.2 Arguments For the Reality of Free Will

I realize that not all atheists are free-will skeptic but determinists are.

Jetty 7 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Free will? I just want free Apple pie!

Yes, we have free will, and I was predetermined to believe that to be the case. ๐Ÿ˜

Seriously, this is a complicated topic and it hinges largely on how one defines freedom and free will. I'm inclined to say that we don't have free will insofar as we are driven in motivation and ability by forces not of our choosing. That's not to say that we're all equally unfree, however; I have freedom in the sense that, within certain practical constraints, my actions match my desires (which would not necessarily be the case if I were imprisoned or were acting under duress). /2ยข

I have always believed that we do have free will...albeit within the parameters of circumstance and chance, which can help to influence, direct, or curtail our ability to exercise free will. I think itโ€™s a convenient cop out to explain and excuse our bad choices or bad behaviour to say we donโ€™t have free will.

.....but if your "choices" are circumstantial or by chance, then how is it proven free will? If you are influenced or directed then your "choices" are molded or ordered to fit because of certain limitations. I don't think it excuses bad behavior. Laws are still there. Jails are still open. Consequences are still apparent. I think at best we have limited free will, but that's really not free will at all then. Also, how are chemical interactions in the brain "free will"? You're seemingly not willing them to interact. If you had a tumor in your brain pressing on certain structures and it made you do stuff you wouldn't "normally" do then is it free will?

@Piece2YourPuzzle No ..itโ€™s not our ability to exercise free will to make choices that is circumstantial or by chance, that ability is constant. Itโ€™s the choices themselves that can be subject to condition or compromise depending on changing circumstance or chance happening. We may have to make a judgement call and alter our intended or instinctive actions because of either circumstance or chance...but we are able to do that because we are not programmed to act in only our intended way, but have the ability to freely adjust our actions according to changing circumstance. We donโ€™t disagree on taking responsibility and suffering the consequences of our actions. The subject of brain altering drugs and tumours pressing on our brains is completely a side issue to this topic and not one I intend to stray into.

@Marionville Those aren't side issues at all. They are nature. One doesn't choose to have a tumor form in their brain that causes them to act in a certain way, and one doesn't choose which chemicals interact in their brain that cause them to act a certain way. That's all directly connected to "choices". Psychopaths brains show differences in structure and function than in non-psychos. How is that choice?

You have no proof whatsoever to back up your assertion that we have the ability to freely adjust our actions according to changing circumstance. An action is not proof of free will. It's proof of an action alone.

@Piece2YourPuzzle It is my opinion...which I am entitled to have, and you have no proof that I am wrong, If I think you are straying off-topic and donโ€™t wish to engage with you on the side issue of chemical changes in the brain, due to drugs or illness, then that too is my prerogative.

@Marionville Fair enough, but I still think the evidence and reason points towards us having no free will.

@Piece2YourPuzzle Thatโ€™s perfectly fine...we can just agree to differ I trust.

@Marionville Of course. I consider this to be a friendly conversation.

I certainly do. I've fucked everything in my life. Who else could achieve such success?

You do not beat your heart, you do not breathe and you do not operate the rods and cones in your eyes because it is all regulated by the autonomic nervous system. Try closing your eyes for ten seconds and without thinking of past or future where is that which we call I? This I is situated in and part of the "field" as physicists refer to it.

In practical terms in every day life we may agonize over a decision for days and then suddenly make a snap decision.

Two years ago in conversation with my niece she revealed that she had difficulty making decisions. When I asked her if it was difficult to decide not to make decisions she replied, after a pause: "f..k You!'

This unanswerable question pops up periodically for discussion. So here's my take on the more directly relevant question: Should we conduct ourselves any differently if we believe in free will vs believing in no free will? I believe the short answer to that is simply "NO."

I think we have to live with the operational assumption that for practical purposes we do have free will. At the same time, we "may" benefit from the insight of realizing complex and varied factors beyond our awareness shape how we understand situations and make choices. At any rate, I like to think that awareness helps us be less arrogant and more cautious and considered in our decisions. But maybe it just undermines confidence. Maybe it does both.

I think the initial question ultimately is a a semantics game. Does free will require deep insight? If yes, then we fail to pass that requirement If no, then who cares why we choose as we do, the choice is still ours.

Now what have we learned. I say "not much "

At the very least we have whatever it is which free will has always meant in common usage. In the law it is simply a matter of acting without coercion; if no one was holding a gun to your head to sign the contract, you are said to have signed of your own free will.

Of course we are not always rational decision makers. We are also emotional, feeling beings as well as beset with motivations we are not always privy to. But does any of that mean we don't actually make any choices. Common sense says we do.

This is a question to become engrossed in when you're a sophomore in an introductory philosophy class. No one should be worrying about that as they go through their life. It is ultimately a silly concern.

The classic way of showing how deep the problem goes is to note how even if we are free to choose, we are not free to choose what we want. Well of course we're not THAT free anymore than we're free to choose who we are. We can improve our character or at least our conduct but of course we can't arbitrarily choose who we wish to be. Since that notion is silly, so is the worry about being free to choose what we want to want. Ultimately who we are is inextricably tied up with what we want.

@MarkWD Agreed. Like I said, it is ultimately a semantics debate. Getting hung up quibbling over detailed meaning of "free will" to the point of ignoring its common usage and rendering the term useless. This sophomore grade philosophy question is meant to confound.

@MarkWD On the other hand, sometimes pointless questions can be fun, or good exercise for our synapses. I suspect that is part of the appeal of this forum. ๐Ÿ˜

@MikeInBatonRouge I guess it is only the smug, entirely sincere insistence used by some people who discuss it online that has soured me to the topic. But you're right, as an intellectual exercise it has its place.

I look at free will much like I look at self advancement. One who claims they got to where they are at in life on their own overlooks all those around them throughout their life that conditioned their advancement. And all the tools society provides.

if we do not have free will, how can you trust our answers? i mean, maybe we were destined to post whether there is or isn't. i don't worry much about it though.

g

@Jetty they can be.

g

Free Willy !

There is no free will. You think you have free will but it is a delusion. In your mind you might think you are going home to have a nice steak but you get home and have something else. The very concept of advertising works on an idea of directing your will and it proves to be greatly successful. A rich person may have more choices in a certain matter than you do and a female may see things differently. Free will is not involved but everything in your past certainly is. Most of us have a different past than others and this is so because we are individuals.

Now here comes the concept of free will in total. It is a religious concept argued by the Christians because their god created you with free will. This is so because this god wants you to worship it/she/him out of the freedom of your own mind and not because you were commanded to. Without "free will" the religious concept will not work, and does not work.

You can't be helpless AND guilty unless you have free will. Free will ensures a societal judgment can hold you responsible for your actions.

Yes. That doesn't mean we are not guided by genetics and environment, but yes, we exercise it everyday.

Considering you decided to post this I would say that is evidence of free will

No, it's not.

@Piece2YourPuzzle Thats it? "No its not" nothimg to back that statement up?

Then please use your free will and decide to go away.

@redhog What do you have to back your statement up? Don't you see the irony in asking for my proof? An action is not proof of free will. It's proof of an action. If you want to be an asshole then I guess you are exhibiting your free will lol

Well then me saying "the goat dances" right now . . . . seems completely random, feels random too. Free will! But, I also think if the universe were rewound back to my birth, than I'd still end up back here typing this right now. And you would be reading about the dancing goat, right now as well.

But our egotism won't let us really consider this: "I am SPECIAL I just know it! Different! (stomping feet)" ๐Ÿ™‚

A real trick when contemplating this: try not to use the words "quantum", "chaos" or etc. Using such in this context is akin to saying "its magic!" rather than just having the courage to say "I don't know".

Well. I gave peice2yourpuzzle a choice, he picked the wrong one so I made the right one

@Observer-Effect believe what you want. I honestly couldn't care less.

@redhog @redhog Well, Mr. Hog, I am sorry to have made you angry. Or . . . is this just a normal state for you? Maybe you enjoy being pissed off at how dumb everybody else is? Ok, cool. Take care!

Love that block feature

Our "free will" is limited and is defined by the environment and society we live in. Did someone say Ice cream?.........umm,,,,,,,except ice cream....

Free will is too broad a descriptor. Agency and choice, are tenets left by a designor or progenitor are they not? Evidence of their love for us.

I'm not sure it's possible to answer that question. What evidence would suggest we have or don't have free will?

I have to ask. You do realize what you just did?

YOu are limited by your choice. You can only choose what you WANT to choose. And you are limited by what options you are aware of and which ones come to mind. Your choices are shaped by your genes and environment. It 'feels' like we have free will but it's an illusion. Choice is just a result of cause and effect.

Most of the arguments I've seen against free will have been of the nature that we make many decisions before giving thought to them.What i gleaned from that article is that we are creatures of our culture and environment. I would counter with, that I agree with that argument to a degree but with time and thought we as individuals can throw away a life time of prior culture and beliefs and change about all of what we believe and that to me constitutes fee will and my understanding of it.

gearl Level 8 May 31, 2020

I think that's pretty vague, but the bottom issue is always "change". We live in an place that is constantly changing and evolving. Every thought and decision we make always have some constraints or data presented that constantly make us change. That being the case free will is nothing but the misunderstanding our reality..

@HerbertNewsam Sorry, but that's very vague to me. I guess I'm slow but it doesn't make much sense to me.

@gearl i didnt think by counting every thought of tbe data stream coming into us as something vague, seems like a very busy place to me. Have a great evening.

I think free will is an allusion in that we think we do but most of our decisions actions abilities etc, are based and driven by characteristics and genetic traits we were born with .

There is no free will. You have to pay the lawyer to draft it.

No

And why? ๐Ÿ™‚

If I have no free will then I can go go lie in bed and do nothing all week and not worry about anything because that is what I was supposed to do anyway. I can get drunk, smoke crack, and live on nothing but pizza and doughnuts because I have no free will and can't be responsible for my actions. If we have no free will then there is no point in trying or caring because that's just the way things are meant to be.

No... that's silly. My decisions in life, both good and bad, were not predetermined by events that occurred billions of years ago nor are they simply the product of physics. There are many things that influence our decisions and how we think and who we are but in the end we have free will.

That's just it though. If you have no free will then you don't have the choice to try or care. So it's not that there is no point in trying or caring, but no way you CAN try or care through your own free will. Simply saying you did or didn't do something doesn't show underlying evidence of it being free will.

If there is no free will then those who commit crimes should not be held responsible. They had no choice in the matter. Punishing someone for something they had no power to prevent is grossly unfair and unjust. That would be like imprisoning a toddler for accidentally shooting someone. If there is no freewill then there is no responsibility.

@Charles1971 No, they should still be held responsible to protect others, but then again they will or won't be held responsible based on whether we have the free will or not to do so.

Heheheh - Quite a conundrum. You can free-will all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time. But you can't free-will all of the people all of the time. That's why governments often resort to coercion.

TO_BY Level 7 June 2, 2020

I will if you will . Free it that is.

Whether free will does or does not exist is up to debate. Sam Harris did a great job explaining how in his opinion we can not have free will in his book by that title. He make a very strong argument.

As a Christian concept it can not exist. Christian doctrine teaches that we can do what we want. It also teaches that god knows the future. If a god does indeed know our future then our future is set. Even if we try to change our minds to trick god or fate , god would know that future, thus we can not make any choices that god does not know we will make in advance. Thus we are destined to do what we will do without any choice.

"Christian doctrine teaches that we can do what we want." Why then does it spend SO much time telling us what to do , desire or believe.

Sam Harris persuades me.

Caption; "And this is how I grabbed Ken Ham by the back of the neck and bit him".

@PondartIncbendog I had to google Ken Ham. An Aussie! pfft. What a disgrace to our irreverent convict ancestors! Anyway.........glad you guys took him in. ๐Ÿ˜€

Nup no free will. I find it liberating, especially when I look back on my mistakes.

i agree with Schopenhauer that we are all subject to a universal will/force. just like the lowest forms of life.

"just like the lowest forms of life" ! Yes human beings are terribly conceited. Cats have NOTHING on us. ๐Ÿ˜‰

To my mind the answer is both a Yes and a No situation.
IF we are followers of religion then, in most cases and in my opinion, the answer is a firm No in that the religious dogmas/doctrines/tenets, etc, decide for the followers and expects/demands that they follow without questioning or doubt, etc.
However, and also in my own personal opinion, those who are NOT followers of Religions do have a type of 'Free Will' in that we can elect to be guided by our inherent senses of Ethics and Moralities, etc, thus choosing/deciding for ourselves whether or not an action, etc, is right or wrong and accepting the responsibilities, etc, for them.
For example, I can use my 'Free Will' to decide whether or not I elect to 'sleep in' on a Sunday, what I choose to wear each day, when I choose to eat and what I choose to eat, I can choose, using my own Ethical and Moral codes what is right and what is wrong as well accepting the responsibilities,etc for them.
That, to me, is what Free Will is about.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.